cruising while pregnant

carissa921

Do you have to tell them you're pregnant even if you're not showing? I sail this week and I just look like I have a beer gut. I'm afraid they could come up with some excuse and keep me from boarding like some cruise lines have done to women in the past (don't know if NCL is one of them). I have my doctor's note handy and am well within the 24 weeks, but just curious if I have to and if so who do I tell? Thanks!

You really should have notified them. We are sent forms which are forwarded to the passengers to fill out and have your doctor sign. I doubt they will deny you boarding but you should always disclose this well ahead of time. The Drs note is a good idea. Call your t/a or NCL asap to make sure.

from the NCL website FAQ's

What if I'm pregnant?

NCL will make every effort to accommodate you, providing you have not entered the 24th week of pregnancy when the cruise ends. Please include your cruise details in an email to the Access Desk with a medical certificate establishing your due date prior to your cruise.

Please include your cruise details in an email to the Access Desk with a medical certificate establishing your due date prior to your cruise.

Oops, didn't see that sentence. Thanks!

P.S.- I would say at least NCL got back to me on the issue even though they didn't include this important tidbit of information. We actually canceled our cruise with Princess this year because not one person would return my calls or emails for months on this issue, still no reply from Princess six months later.

Yeah, I could have saved some money in cancellation fees had Princess actually given me an answer on anything I asked of them (confirm pregnancy policy in writing, book pre-cruise hotel, excursion questions)... and definitely a more interesting itinerary. But I wasn't going to risk flying to Puerto Rico and put my trust or money in a cruise line that won't give me the time of day.

We're not particularly loyal to NCL exclusively and would like to try others, but NCL has always treated us right.

Traveling by cruise ship when pregnant

from

http://www.babycenter.com/0_traveling-by-cruise-ship-when-pregnant_6973.bc

Cruise lines requesting a physician's letter (faxed in advance or hand delivered at time of check- in) will require this letter to state that woman and baby are in good health, fit to travel, and that the pregnancy is not high-risk. The letter must also include the expected date of the child's birth.

from

http://www.*****.com/preg-infant.cfm

Pregnant Cruising

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=268452

Is it safe to get pregnant on a cruise?

I went on the NCL Spirit in March when I was four months pregnant. I did not have to fill out any paperwork but did bring a doctors note stating that I was in good health and noted my due date. I do not even think that I had to show it to anyone. I had so much fun! For sea sickness, i wore the sea bands and that helped a lot.

Happy Babymooning!

DW and I cruised while she was pregnant. She actually entered the 24th week while on board. We brought a note from her OB/GYN but never needed it. No one ever said anything about it, aside from congratulations. I was a bit concerned before the cruise as you are, but really it was a non-issue. Enjoy your cruise! And your baby!!:)

Do you have to tell them you're pregnant even if you're not showing? I sail this week and I just look like I have a beer gut. I'm afraid they could come up with some excuse and keep me from boarding like some cruise lines have done to women in the past (don't know if NCL is one of them). I have my doctor's note handy and am well within the 24 weeks, but just curious if I have to and if so who do I tell? Thanks!

I did not tell the cruise line directly, but I did tell the cabin staff and the wait staff, so I had milk and juice in the cabin and a big glass of milk at every meal. They even sent me with a snack after each meal for the baby.

Hi Just make sure you have a note. We were on the Dawn last year and there was a pregnant lady turned away at boarding. She was with a large family reunion and the definitley told her no. She must have been past her 24th week. I am cruising pregnant for the second time and I will tell you the first time I did not bring a note but I did not look pregnant at all. This is my third so I will be bringing the Dr.s note. :0)

If I were you just bring it just in case.

Have a great cruise!

called ncl asked if i needed to do anything special. they said have a note from the obgyn with how many weeks preganant and that i was fit to travel and keep it on hand if i needed it. never did and noone ever asked. i assume my reservation was marked since i told them when i booked but i never needed to do anything else.

we had an awesome time both times and have been taking our little boy (almost 3) ever since! have fun!

Archived