a question for very RECENT Mercury cruisers

San Diego Ellie

A couple of years ago, when I was last on the Mercury, I was always very cold in the public areas, esp. the dining room, even with a light shawl. In your opinion, will I need more than a light cotton or rayon type wrap in the dining room, showroom, and lounges? Thanks for any help you can give me.

A couple of years ago, when I was last on the Mercury, I was always very cold in the public areas, esp. the dining room, even with a light shawl. In your opinion, will I need more than a light cotton or rayon type wrap in the dining room, showroom, and lounges? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving

My DH and I were on the Mercury Oct13-22. We were seated in the lower level of the dining room in the open area down from the stairs. I was not chilly and for formal nights I wore a sleeveless dress. Most evenings we would walk up the stairs to leave the dining room and I felt it was warmer on the second level. IMHO a light shawl should be fine. Maybe you could request a table on the upper level of the dining room once onboard.

Hope this helps and happy cruising

I just booked an Alaska cruise for next June on the Mercury. Someone told me today they were just on this ship and it was very run down, the food was horrible. What did you think? I realize it's an older ship so I don't expect it to be the Solstice.

I have been on Mercury twice in the past few years and the food and the service were all first rate. The ship is over 10 years old and there is some wear and tear but she is beautiful with some excellent and sometimes wild art work. Food can be very subjective but we always found more than once choice each evening in the MDR. Lido Cafe was a mixed bag, but always something that hit the spot.

Mercury does not have the garish colorschemes or announcements all day of Carnival ships nor skating rinks or rock climbing walls ala RCL. But, if you want a stylish cruise with excellent service and good food with attention to detail you will enjoy her. A "smaller" ship that is easy to get around with very nice quiet areas if you want or places to party if you want also. That said, X tends to attract an older crowd, 40's and up.

The only complaint we had was last time we were onboard the photographers were always hawking to take and buy pictures and bingo was offered much to often to our taste, but you don't have to buy or go to things you don't want.

I hope with Alaska you sprung for a balcony because it is, IMHO, the only way to do Alaska!

I just booked an Alaska cruise for next June on the Mercury. Someone told me today they were just on this ship and it was very run down, the food was horrible. What did you think? I realize it's an older ship so I don't expect it to be the Solstice.

We were just on the Mercury in October and found the food to be quite good. Actually too good as DH quite often had two dinners because he couldn't pick just one. The only disappointing dish was the lobster which was tiny and tasteless but it could have just been the tail I got. Our wonderful server clearly tried to disuade me from ordering it but I did anyways so that was my fault.

I thought she was in beautiful shape -the only thing that stood out as needing updating was the floor of the elevators. I couldn't help but think how easy it would be to replace the worn out wood floors with nice sleek marble. I have been replacing our floors at home with marble and so I am probably more obsessed with floors than most people.

We just returned 12/5 on the Mercury I can also report that the ship is in fine condition. I also noticed the terrible shape of the elevator floors, I can't believe they were allowed to get that bad. Most of the carpeting looked brand new and much of the wood railings were in the process of being re-varnished.

One minor item to note: The ship name on the forward part of the hull looks like it's painted with a small, cheap stencil that you can buy in Staples. Very tacky, it looks like the way they print the new name of a ship when it goes off to the breakers! Mercury is in great shape, better than Zenith was at the same age.

Chris

Archived