HAL's cruise insurance or Travel Guard?

Chelly

I need to make a decision within next few days. Just booked my cruise and TA gave me a Travel Guard Gold policy ($260) that needs to be purchased soon. I'm wondering why TA didn't suggest HAL's cruise insurance. Do veteran cruisers use HAL's insurance?

I need to make a decision within next few days. Just booked my cruise and TA gave me a Travel Guard Gold policy ($260) that needs to be purchased soon. I'm wondering why TA didn't suggest HAL's cruise insurance. Do veteran cruisers use HAL's insurance?

Most cruisers go with third party travel insurance. However, before you select Travel Guard, go to http://www.insuremytrip.com and enter the information for a quote. Then compare the various policies. We always go with Travelex Travel Lite. They are wonderful to deal with, their prices are very competitive, and they are primary insurers (mean they pay first, you don't have to submit medical bills to your own medical insurance first). If you purchase their insurance within 21 days of making initial trip deposit, you are covered for pre-existing conditions (they cover not just yourself, but family members, business partners, traveling companions, etc.). We always select that insurance. Check it out before you commit to Travel Guard.

Compare the prices and coverage at insuremytrip with HAL's prices and coverage. Depending on your age, HAL's may (or may not) be cheaper than the others. I think the price of HAL's coverage is based only on the cost of your cruise; the others also consider your age and perhaps other factors.

It has always been cheaper for us to purchase through insuremytrip, and we purchase it early enough to get the waiver for pre-existing conditions. W've never had to make a claim, but for me the peace of mind is worth the cost of the premium.

Yes, Robert2005....and because I travel with 80something parents whose pre-existing health problems make standard insurance astronomical, it's the right choice for us.

However, it's not true "insurance" - it's a "protection plan". Like any policy, you need to read it in full to decide if it's right for you.

According to a brochure I have, the HAL plans must be paid for at time of deposit and the cost is non-refundable. If this is still correct information, you will not have the option to buy the HAL insurance if you have already paid your deposit.

Not to worry, there are plenty of other good choices. Go to insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com for price quotes and comparisons.

You do know that Travel Guard is AIG?

We no longer use them.

Travel Guard is currently underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA. with its principal place of business in New York.

There are two reasons your TA recommended Travel Guard over HAL's insurance. One cost. Unless your over seventy, Travel Guard will cost less than HAL's insurance. HAL's insurance is priced based sole on trip cost and does not factor age into their pricing. Generally, if your age is 69 or less, Travel Guard will be less. Second commision. Your TA will get a small commission for selling you Travel Guard. That's not bad, just the distribution model Travel Guard uses.

As was pointed out above, go to insuremytrip.com and check out several compaies for the lowest cost. Also, if your a USAA member, check out the travel insurance available through their web site. I have found travel insurance through USAA's vendor to be cheaper than what I could find on insuremytrip.com.

Archived