princess spaghetti sauce recipe??

onehotpooh

• 2 weeks later...

There is a recipe for "Basic Red Sauce" in the book - but it doesn't specify what pastas it is used on. I have made this quite a few times and it is really excellent. I am at work now, but can post it for you later if you like. Don't know if this is what would be used on the kid's pasta - but then again, I can't see them making too many variations of the basic sauce.

This is the basic sauce used in most of Princess' pastas - they usually call for this red sauce and add to it depending on what the pasta is. I have made this many times - and it is really excellent. Also freezes well.

Ok, here it is:

4 pounds roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped

1/2 cup olive oil

2 cups onion, small dice

1 cup carrots, small dice

1/2 cup leeks, small dice

1/2 cup celery, small dice

2/3 cup tomato paste

1/2 cup flour

1 cup red wine

3 cups beef stock

2 tsp sugar

8 cloves fresh garlic, chopped

3 bay leaves

1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped

salt and pepper

Heat half of the olive oil in heavy stock pot. Saute the onions, carrots, leeks and celery until translucent. Increase the heat; add the tomato paste anc cook, stirring continuously until the paste browns. Add the flour and continue to cook and stir until it has browned. Add the red wine and allow to evaporate. Add the beef stock, tomatoes, sugar and garlic. Cook for approx. 30 minutes until everything is tender. Using a stick mixer or food processor, remove from the heat and blend until smooth, being careful not to burn yourself. Return the sauce to the heat and add the bay leaves and the remaining olive oil; continue to cook for approx 1.5 hours more, stirring occasionally. 30 minutes before serving, add the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper. The sauce should be rich, dark and slightly thickened.

Archived