Downgrades Possible???

vcdarty

Just got our stateroom assignments for the 14 December cruise, Veendam. Had requested BC guarantee. Got an upgrade to B. Nice, I guess--three ranks up. But we prefer the aft cabins. Closer to that small aft deck. One flight up to the Lido. One flight down to the DR. The B cabin assigned shares a cabin, so not much closet space. The laundrette is across the hall. A companion has mobility issues, so a looong trek to the DR.

Weird question (our TA is out of town): does HAL do downgrades so we can get back to our preferred location? I know, I know. We should have booked an aft balcony to begin with.

And a related question: does our biggish upgrade suggest that this cruise (and perhaps others) is undersold?

Weird question (our TA is out of town): does HAL do downgrades so we can get back to our preferred location? I know, I know. We should have booked an aft balcony to begin with.

Sorry, but that is one of the downsides of a guarantee - you must take what you are assigned.

However, on rare occasions, HAL does sometimes ask people to take a downgrade (to a cabin of their choice) because they want to resell the one they gave you. Also, sometimes HAL will change your cabin to give you a higher upgrade for the same reason. Cross your fingers and hope for one of these infrequent events.

This is why booking a specific stateroom nearly always the best option - so that you won't be assigned someplace you don't want to me.

Well, the only place I would not want to be would be not on the ship. :) That's why I almost always book guarantee. I've never been disappointed with any cabin on any ship. :)

Archived