$217 Charge -- What to do?

missmaureen78

Hello everyone -- thanks for all the great info. This site has been so helpful in planning our cruise.

WE're sailing on the 4/10 sailing of the Century. I booked the cruise in February. When I received my credit card bill that month, I noticed that there was an extra $217 charge, billed from Celebrity Cruises, in addition to the amount charged for the cruise itself. It was billed seperately, several days later. Neither myself nor any of my cruise mates have ordered Bon Voyage gifts or anything like that.

Celebrity says our travel agent put through the extra charge. The travel agent (a reputable one) says its Celebrity's mistake, and he's been trying to get a reimbursement.

With 5 days to go to our cruise, I'm at a loss. I don't want this to ruin the cruise, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm out of ideas, and totally bummed.

Maureen

Call your credit card company and refuse the charge.

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja
Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia
Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska
Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja
Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera
Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

Call your credit card company right away and refuse to pay the charge. They will probably send you a form to fill out and the charge will be put on hold until the matter is investigated. B the time they investigate the mistake should have been corrected by either your travel agent or by Celebrity. In either case, the investigation should reflect exactly who put through the charge and what it reportedly was for. In the meantime, have a great cruise.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=03>
<param name="day" value=19>
<param name="hour" value=17>
</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

I would question contacting the credit card company at this point, I would wait until the cruise is over and then put a hold on the charge. There could be problems at the pier if Celebrity has not been paid in full which is probably not the case but why take a chance. I'm also wondering if this might be a case of one of those specials that the individual might not qualify for.

Don

Don is absolutely correct! In Feb. we had a snaffu (sp) with our online charged shore excursions. The TA went to pay Celeb in full for our trip & when Celeb said there were shore exc's, the TA cancelled them & Celeb issued a credit! I had purch. the Shore exc's online direct w/Celeb. When the CC bill came, ooops!!! Celeb would not release docs until the mess was cleared up. Thank Goodness we had over a month until we sailed! It was NOT easy to clear up.

Wait until after the cruise & address it then, don't screw up your trip!!

Good luck.
Rosie

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
CELEBRITY MERCURY HERE I COME!!!

What I would do is this. In 5 days, I would get on the Century, and prepare to have a blast!

Enjoy myself completely on the cruise, eat lots of food, relax, and all the other good things that go along with cruising. They far out weigh the negatives.

Fagettaboutit! for now. Enjoy the cruise. To every thing there is a time. It's not time for this it's time to CRUISE.!

Hope this helps.

MISS M,

Get a written confirmation from your TA that he/she is trying to rectify this problem. Sounds like your TA might have forgotten to charge someone for port charges. You want to have a written paper trail showing the discrepantcy.

ROSS

RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 1965/TS BREMEN 1971/RMS AMERIKANIS 1972/SS FRANCE 1973/SS FRANCE 1973/QE II 1975/QE II 1975/TS LEONARDO DaVINCI 1976/QE II 1978/TS GALLILAO 1984/ MV REGENT SEA 1988/MV ZENITH 1992/SS NORWAY 1993/MV HORIZON 1998/GTS NORWEGIAN SUN 2001/GTS CENTURY 2002/GTS SUMMIT 2003/GTS JEWEL OF THE SEAS 2004

dealing with celebrity custumer service leaves a lot to be desired try to explain somethings to them told, them my group was about to spend appx $75,000 on this cruise i might as well be talking to the wall. but in all fairness this is the first time this has happened in 5 cruises with them . we'll work it out

By all means, dispute the charge with the credit card company. That's why it's always wise to use a credit card instead of a check.

BTW, SNAFU is a WWII expression for Situation Normal, All Fouled Up (this is a PG site). The modern version of this is FUBAR...Fouled Up Beyond All Repair (it's still a PG site).

Enjoy the cruise...we're off on the Mercury in less than three weeks.

"I do not shout. I speak in a tone of voice that ensures I will not be misunderstood, misquoted, or ignored".

Archived