Spirit Review, Thanksgiving week 11/20/08

cascole

Spirit, 8 day Thanksgiving week

San Diego to Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zijuataneho, Manzanillo

Traveling on this cruise was myself & my two sons, ages 15 & 4. We also had an AMAZING roll call group & spent a lot of time hanging out together!

Embarkation

We were dropped off at the San Diego cruise terminal around 10:30am & took our bags to a porter waiting inside the terminal building. As we were early, we were sent through security & were checked in by 10:45. They had expected to begin boarding at 11:30am, but the terminal was handling two ships that day so Elation was boarded before the Spirit began. Even with the slight delay, we were on board enjoying lunch by 12:30pm!

Room

We had cabin 4224, a category 8A balcony for the three of us... it was set up well & I never felt overly cramped with my kids in the same room. Our room stewardess, Martina, was great! Although I didn't meet her until day 3 -it was never a problem - we would just refer to her as our 'ninja' steward! Everything was done while we were gone, and every request was met! She always kept us full of ice in both our little room ice bucket, as well as my soft sided cooler.

Ship & Entertainment

I was impressed with the condition of the ship... and although she is scheduled for dry dock in March, she is in great condition overall. I didn't see much wear & tear on the carpets, everything was always clean & polished ... and everything seemed to function as it was supposed to. I enjoyed spending some time in the piano bar & I liked the 'piano man', Steve Brisley. It wasn't terribly crowded - but the group of 8-15 of us that woudl gather each night certainly had a good time getting to know eachother! We only went to one show - the last evening's Carnival Legend's show, since one of the cruise critic roll call members was performaging as Madonna. She was GREAT and it was fun to watch!!!

Spa

I used the spa one day for a swedish massage. Although they did begin with the 'sell', I explained that I was interested in being 'prescribed' anything else & that was it. The ine problem I found with the massage rooms is that they are directly under the running track & basketball courts. I was able to ignore it, but it wasn't the most relaxing atmosphere. They also didn't use 'bolsters' under knees or ankles, as most spas do, so I had to adjust my knees etc... frequently by the end of the session.

Acapulco

We pre-booked an independant tour with Intersol to go to La Roquetta island for lunch, glass bottom boat ride, fire dancing & beach. Unfortnately the tour times had gotten messed up & they dropped us at a dock to wait for a boat that never came. Eventually they came back & took us by car to another part of Acapulco to ride across to the island. It turned out to be a fun day, but not at the top of my list. I will try to do a beach day on my own the next time I am in Acapulco.

Ixtapa/Zijuataneho

By far our favorite day & port. We took a cab to Playa la Ropa & had intended to stay at Patty's for the day. Unfortunately, there were no lounge chairs available, only tables - so we went next door to Elvira's. Very good, very relaxing & decent prices! We ate & drank & swam all day! Simply perfect!

Manzanillo

We took a taxi to Las Hadas resort & paid $25 per person to enter. They then give you coupons to use for food & beverages. This worked out prefectly & was a very relaxing day... although I felt the pool was too chilly, but that's just a personal preference!

Food

The food in the main dining room was fine. We had early seating since my 4 year old was with us & always wanted to get to camp by 7. Not exciting, not bad. Just fine. Our waiter & ast waiter were fine. Not bad, not excellent - although eh did make a grilled cheese appear one evening for my 4year old who had requested it. The pizza was good, I usually love the De Chevre but this cruise I was told they didn't have it; although it was still on the pizza menu. ?!

Supper Club

Excellent as always! Our roll call group had done a cabin crawl on our second sea day, then 10 of us went to dinner together at the supper club. We enjoyed wine & extraordinary meals along with superb company! Highly recomended!

Camp Carnival

I simply can't say enough good things about this experience. Since it was Thanksgiving week, I heard there were over 700 minors on board. Because there were so many children, they only gave out beepers for 2 & 3 year olds. Luckily, this was not a problem for my outgoing young man! He absolutely oved playing with friends, going to parties, getting his face painted, watching caryoons, coloring, playing PS2, reading stories... the list goes on & on!

ClubO2

Needs improvement. My teenager walked into one or two activities & walked right back out. He said there was no participation & no one there. He had no problem hooking up with other teens to hang out with, however!

Debarkation

We were zone #18 and were called to debark the ship at 9:45am or so. Once we grabbed our bags, we walked out to Harbor & our ride came along shortly thereafter.

I'm sure there are MANY things I have forgotten, feel free to ask! This was a fantastic cruise - one of my top 2-3! Mainly because we had such a good group of people to share our excitement with; but also (as a single mom) because my son really loved to go to Camp Carnival in the evenings; he even wanted to eat with the kids about half the evenings! It was a perfect choice for our faily to vacation together & still get some time for our individual interests.

How warm was the weather ?

Did you try the sushi bar ?

It was very warm in Acapulco - had to be over 90... water temp was in the 80s in Acapulco & in Zijua. Water was bit chillier (70s) at Las Hadas in Manzanillo. The last sea day home was cold, but otherwise temps were in the 80s & beautiful!!!

Sorry, never tried the sushi bar on this trip... we had early dinner so were always getting ready for that when the sushi was open around 5:30 each day.

Thanks for the review. We're sailing on the Spirit 1/15. Tell us more about Playa La Ropa.

Also, as a San Diego resident, what are your recommendations for pre and post cruise stays. Right now we're booked at the Holiday Inn opposite the pier for one night pre-cruise and are looking for a reasonably priced location for two nights post. Doing the zoo, Sea World, In n Out Burger etc. those last two days.

Looking forward to any advice.

jennbill,

I was also on the cruise last week, and was part of Cassie's roll call group. It sure was a great group!

Playa La Ropa: Taxi from the tender pier takes about 15 minutes, costs around $10. Beautiful beach, not too crowded, with a great view of the Spirit at anchor. There are a number of ramadas (bar/restaurants) like Paty's and Elvira's with umbrella tables and lounge chairs. Prices are reasonable. Hobie cats are available for rent. Also, the area near the tender pier is very pretty and quaint, with many small shops and restaurants. Prices are very reasonable.

For San Diego hotels, I don't have any particular recommendations in the downtown area but would recommend bidding aggressively on Priceline, since you have six weeks before you cruise. The lowest price area for hotels is the Hotel Circle area, about 5 miles north of downtown, but that area is not walkable (it's just hotels) so you'll need a rental car or to take taxis, which eats up part or all of your savings.

Wendell

Thanks for the review. We're sailing on the Spirit 1/15. Tell us more about Playa La Ropa.

Also, as a San Diego resident, what are your recommendations for pre and post cruise stays. Right now we're booked at the Holiday Inn opposite the pier for one night pre-cruise and are looking for a reasonably priced location for two nights post. Doing the zoo, Sea World, In n Out Burger etc. those last two days.

Looking forward to any advice.

Thanks for the review. We'll be boarding the Spirit on Saturday. How difficult was it to communicate with the cabbies about getting to La Ropa beach? Was there ship sponsored tours there, or was it more a local beach? I would prefer to avoid paying a fortune for a trip to the beach. How plentiful were the cabs getting back to the pier?

La Ropa was easy to get to & wasy to get a cab. I believe I paid $10 each way. No ship sponsired things there - thanks goodness! It's set up for tourists, be in Mexican or otherwise. Highly recomended!!!

Hotel Circle is definately less than downtown with MANY options - I guess it just depends on what one considers 'reasonably priced' & how far from the attractions you plan to be? Will you have a car?

Thanks everyone for sharing.. it's great!

Wendell,

What did you do in Acapulco, any suggestions? I have a group with kids and 60's age parents and want something fun and easy to do before the cliff diving show. We are doing La Ropa in Z and Las Hadas in Manzanillo, so I am trying to avoid a 3rd beach day :) thanks!

:o

jennbill,

I was also on the cruise last week, and was part of Cassie's roll call group. It sure was a great group!

Playa La Ropa: Taxi from the tender pier takes about 15 minutes, costs around $10. Beautiful beach, not too crowded, with a great view of the Spirit at anchor. There are a number of ramadas (bar/restaurants) like Paty's and Elvira's with umbrella tables and lounge chairs. Prices are reasonable. Hobie cats are available for rent. Also, the area near the tender pier is very pretty and quaint, with many small shops and restaurants. Prices are very reasonable.

For San Diego hotels, I don't have any particular recommendations in the downtown area but would recommend bidding aggressively on Priceline, since you have six weeks before you cruise. The lowest price area for hotels is the Hotel Circle area, about 5 miles north of downtown, but that area is not walkable (it's just hotels) so you'll need a rental car or to take taxis, which eats up part or all of your savings.

Wendell

We'll have a car post-cruise. Is the "hotel circle" a decent area? Looking for clean, comfortable accomodations-definitely no budget hotels.

Hotel circle (Mission Valley) puts you about 10-15 minutes from everything on your 'must see' list.. a wide variety of hotels are there.

I also like the Bay Club on Shelter Island - and Humphery's has a nice pool area, but the rooms can be hit or miss.

Downtown I've stayed at the Horton Grand (a victorian), the Marriott Marina, the Hyatt & teh Embassy Suites. If you've got a group, I like the Embassy Suites for location & space (plus free evening cocktails & breakfast!).

Being from here I don't stay in many area hotels, though so can only comment personally on a handful. If you come across one you are thinkign about, I (along with my SD buddies here) can certainly look into it or let you know about the area it's in.

Archived