Took my OBC away when I changed room #'s....not happy

Suni99

Making changes to an existing reservation is not the same as making a new reservation. I don't see why so many people think it is. Why would anyone consider it a cancellation and new booking if simply changing categories?

beachchick

I agree, it is not the same as cancel and making a new res. But it is close. If you go from buying an inside to buying a balcony, it is a big change. As another poster mentioned, they went from an Alaska cruise to a New England cruise and did not change their res. number.

When these things happen, the cost for the cabin and possibly any promo's may no longer apply. The exact week makes a change in pricing. Port fees might change, but not in the case indicated here. In the end, changing categories can be a major change. It has to be priced using the CURRENT pricing structure. The new category might be close to sold out and therefore has higher pricing than normal.

I agree, it is not the same as cancel and making a new res. But it is close. If you go from buying an inside to buying a balcony, it is a big change. As another poster mentioned, they went from an Alaska cruise to a New England cruise and did not change their res. number.

When these things happen, the cost for the cabin and possibly any promo's may no longer apply. The exact week makes a change in pricing. Port fees might change, but not in the case indicated here. In the end, changing categories can be a major change. It has to be priced using the CURRENT pricing structure. The new category might be close to sold out and therefore has higher pricing than normal.

Gary.....

do you know the answer to this.....I am curious that if NCL calls and offers an upsell or upgrade and you accept would you lose your obc in this situation?i am asking bc essentially its the same thing as changing your cat.room and from what i have learned that when we make a change it cancels out existing credits, but if they offer the change does it affect the credit?hmmmm

Gary.....

do you know the answer to this.....I am curious that if NCL calls and offers an upsell or upgrade and you accept would you lose your obc in this situation?i am asking bc essentially its the same thing as changing your cat.room and from what i have learned that when we make a change it cancels out existing credits, but if they offer the change does it affect the credit?hmmmm

I think what you need to do is specifically ask. We had an upsell from an AC to an AA on the Pride of Aloha. We had a $200 OBC and it stayed in tack.

We had friends who were offered an upsell from an AD to an AA on the Dawn for $200 per person. NCL also added a $50 per person OBC. So the upsell cost them $100 and they got three bottles of alcohol. That's the best deal I've heard.

Gary.....

I'm not gary or carla, but I do think you are able to keep the OBC since the transaction is initiated by NCL, not you. Here is why there would be a difference. If you book a cruise and you get an OBC as a promo when you book and then later you call NCL and say you want to change catagory, the new catagory you are booking probably is lower than it was when you booked and got the OBC. It is kind of the same concept as people who book six months out, then a month before the cruise the price drops and they want a refund of the difference. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Also, it might be a good bargining tool if you are offered an upgrade... if they are not willing to negotiate the price they are offering (which I think most of the time they are not), they might be willing to give an OBC instead.

I'm not gary or carla, but I do think you are able to keep the OBC since the transaction is initiated by NCL, not you. Here is why there would be a difference. If you book a cruise and you get an OBC as a promo when you book and then later you call NCL and say you want to change catagory, the new catagory you are booking probably is lower than it was when you booked and got the OBC. It is kind of the same concept as people who book six months out, then a month before the cruise the price drops and they want a refund of the difference. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Also, it might be a good bargining tool if you are offered an upgrade... if they are not willing to negotiate the price they are offering (which I think most of the time they are not), they might be willing to give an OBC instead.

Terry I understand what your saying, it makes sense, its their buisness their call.Anyhow im glad upgraded and paid more for the aft cabin, im really excited about it, in the end i paid for my upgrade because i wanted it and i was able to keep the obc that they originally gave me, I didnt get an upgrade for free and keep the obc, thats different i do not want ppl to misunderstand. with my luck ill get an upgrade call after all this ...I would have to say no so i can keep my aft.

I'm so glad this turned into a Happy ending...

amen

My PCC just called me back and everything has worked out, was able to keep the obc and the aft room, since i was not informed that the room change would eliminate the OBC they kindly put it back on my account. I kept my fingers crossed and it worked out but I will know for future reference. Im sure we would have had a awesome cruise even if we didnt get this resolved, but it would have given me a few sour grapes.Thanks for all your kind words and understanding of the frustration...its so nice to have a place to vent and chat about our good and bad events.....:)

this is definetly a learning experience, maybe this will save others from the same troubles

I had a similar problem.

I started in an inside room with $25 obc.

Then I received a complimentary upgrade to an outside room.

Eventually, I upgraded to a balcony for an additional $30something.

Every new confirmation I received clearly stated the $25 obc.

Once on board, NCL had no record of my obc.

We have been home a month and with a lot of phone calls and "research"

I heard from my travel agent today and they are issuing a check for the amount.

Archived