Tampa: Embassy Suites Downtown or Chase Suites (Rocky Point)?

cookie1961

Hi everyone,

I am really at a loss right now and I would really appreciate some input. Myself, DH, and my two teenaged DD's will be in Tampa on Christmas for a night's pre-cruise stay. Right now I have the Chase Suites booked. I have had it booked for a very loooong time.

Since it's Christmas Day, I was starting to worry that there may not be any restaurants opened in the Rocky Point area and I began searching for a hotel closer to the port. I found that I can actually get Embassy Suites Downtown for about $20 less if paid in full up front. We would have to pay for the cab ride to the hotel, as well as to the port. We do have transfers so I am not worried about transportation after the cruise. I have the Cruise and Snooze package booked with Chase Suites so no costs for cab rides from the airport and to the port. The Embassy Suites Hotel looks really beautiful and much newer. It's near the port and downtown where there may be more action at Christmas.

We will arrive in Tampa at about 2 pm so we really won't have a lot of time to do too much stuff and with it being Christmas, I don't know what would be opened anywhere in Tampa!!

I am just not sure which hotel I should be looking at our family and I would really love some input.

Thanks so much :)

Cookie, If you can get the Embassy Suites for $20 less then Chase, by all means change. Its a real nice hotel, 5 minutes from the pier. The trolly to Ybor and Channelside (adjacent to the pier) is right in front of the hotel. Chase is fine and in a nice area with good views, but for the deal you recieved you have to make that switch.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks so much for your very quick response. I see you live in Tampa :) Do you know if the Channelside Complex or restaurants in the area that would be opened on Christmas Day? Does the Trolley run on that day as well?

I live in the Greater Toronto Area in Canada and I know we aren't as touristy as Florida but Toronto basically shuts down for Christmas :(

Thanks so much for your help :)

We are staying at the Marriott Waterside that night, and the concierge gave me a list of restaurants in the area that is open that are open that night. Thai Thani, Jackson's Bistro, and Shula's Steakhouse are all open, and all have websites to check out their menus, etc.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your comments. We did end up booking the Embassy Suites Downtown Convention Center for $111.20 before taxes for Christmas Day. I was so pleasantly surprised :) It turns out my 18 year old is considered a child at that hotel as well :lol

highsierracpl: Are you saying that you are in Tampa Christmas Day 2008 and the restaurants you indicated are open that day?? WOW that would be great. I will certainly check the sites out. We LOVE Thai food :)

Again, thanks so much everyone for all your advice and tips. It's truly appreciated!!

Archived