Just back from the Ryndam

marial

Hi, wanted to write a quick summary of our Sea of Cortez cruise 11/21-12/1. First off, first time on HAL(10th cruise, normally sail Princess) , early 40s with 12 yo daughter. Room Steward Service was poor..first 3 nights had to ask for a sheet for our daughters couch and never received any shampoo/cond without having to leave a note...same goes for ice..AYWD - reservations could only be made at 5:15 or 7:45 every time I called so dont expect to make them anytime. Dining room service was average to below average. Our wine steward, Allan was great, and very friendly. Food was average..entertainment the same. Norovirus was in full bloom..received 3 or 4 notices and by last sea day buffet was no longer self service..shop staff - walked into the jewlery store every day, and never once got so much as a hello..

Good things - since it was an older crowd, it was very easy to find prime lounge chairs to sit in..always plenty available. Happy Hour from 4-5 in Ocean Bar - all drinks 2 for 1. Drew the Cruise Director was great..Stateroom was roomy, nice to have daughter on a couch instead of overhead. Edwin at Ocean Bar was great. Ship was nice..I was worried because of size, but movement was minimal and it did not feel overly small to me. Nice dining room and theater.Lots of Christmas decorations already..

Warning on Snorkeling tours in La Paz and Loretto - expect to be stung by jelly fish..it happened to almost 100% of the people in the water..and all over, but water was beautiful..

We did have a good time..I think maybe my expectations were just a bit high on the service level from everything I read, and that was the disappointment to not see the great levels others have experienced..but 10 nights on a cruiseship....hard to go wrong there!!

We did have a good time..I think maybe my expectations were just a bit high on the service level from everything I read, and that was the disappointment to not see the great levels others have experienced..but 10 nights on a cruiseship....hard to go wrong there!!

Food was average..entertainment the same. Norovirus was in full bloom..received 3 or 4 notices and by last sea day buffet was no longer self service.....shop staff - walked into the jewlery store every day, and never once got so much as a hello..

Reported on the food.....................check

Reported on the entertainment........check

Reported on the customer service....check

Reported on the prevalance of Noro..check

Yes - But you left out by far the most important aspect of the cruise, and one in which everyone I'm sure is waiting for an answer with baited breath:

WERE THERE STILL TRAYS IN THE LIDO??????!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

This was the first ship that I have sailed on that did not have some form of on stage entertainment every night..there was either one or two nights where they only showed a movie. The remaining were the typical Broadway musicals/dancing, the 'piano man", a comedy/violinist and an illusionist...I wouldnt say any were fabulous, but we enjoyed the illusionist...none were 'bad'....just nothing great..

I have to agree with Marial. The entertainment was lackluster. We enjoyed Dave Lavesque(fiddler) and Chuck Jones(magician). The shows were only standard and nothing exceptional. Movies in the Veerdam Theater? Goofy if you ask me. Mama Mia would look better in H.D. on my plasma TV. That is where I plan to see it.

Also, the dining room was walk in only between 6:00 and 7:00.

We had a reservation for a table for 2 every night at 8pm. The service in our section was very good too.

We thought of the musical productions as very "high school musical", but aren't they always. Dave Levesque was a fantastic talent, in our book, particularly as we had seen his history lectures before his performance so were nicely surprised.

Full review to come....

Brucory... :D:D:D

Dave Levesque was a fantastic talent, in our book, particularly as we had seen his history lectures before his performance so were nicely surprised.

I first saw him as a performer long before I knew him as a guest lecturer. Talk about surprised! This is a very well-rounded man.

I hadn't realized he was doing the commentary on some scenic cruising several days before he started his lecture series. He excels at everything he does.

Archived