walkie talkies / 2 ways

reginar

I brought walkie/talkies on my cruise in 2003 and was very disappointed. I wanted to use them to keep my daughter safe, but there were some rowdy teenagers on the line and I wasn't comfortable telling my daughter (9yr old at the time) anything because these obnoxious older kids where breaking in and using bad language and mimicking us. Grrr. Besides being annoying, it made me feel ill at ease because I didn't want to tell my daughter to meet me any specific place because I didn't want these bad kids actually getting there first and picking on her. I finally just set up check points & times through out the day to keep tabs...

Nothing worse than relaxing by the pool and hearing one of those go off " Hans where are you By the pool Helga, where are you" Gets old after a while. Wish they'd ban them

I'm in complete agreement.

I have been on 2 cruises this year and used 2 way radios on both. My DH & I often had to split up (1 with each of the kids) and used the radios to find each other. We sometimes had interference but the benefit of having the radios out weighed the inconvenience of switching channels. I would suggest that you get radios with privacy codes, that will help eliminate the interference.

Last cruise I saw some folks using walkie talkies . Silly Question??? Are there certain channels you have to use or not use cause the crew also uses these?

Don't know if there are specific channels you can't use, but if you haven't purchased yours yet, get some with very good range.

We brought some on our last cruise (excellent idea!) and we purchased some with an 8 mile range (cheapest ones we could find). If I was in the cabin on the main deck and my wife was up on the pool deck, she had to be on the same side of the ship as me, or we wouldn't get a signal.

If you buy a set, just remember to get the ones with vibration alert and sub-channels. This way you will have around 1,000 different channels to find a frequency nobody else is using. They come with re-chargable batteries and the charging base. We used them on every cruise to keep in touch and they work like a charm.

You can get a decent set for under $40.00 !

People are on vacation to relax and have an enjoyable time. Walkie Talkies and nothing more than a huge annoyance to everyone!!! Please, as a request from your fellow cruisers, leave these things at home and enjoy your cruise. If you absolutely feel the need that you need to contact people, do what sane people do, arrange a meeting place and time.

Just one opinion from a very seasoned cruiser.

Hmmmmmmmmm ok well it seems these could be irritating. We will have to explain to the children they are not cell phones.

Their only use is so the kids 6-17 could find a parent or me (nana) at night. I bought 4 seems like the range was over 20 miles but I cant remember for sure. 1 for me 1 for each set of parents and 1 for the kids. Now all I have to do is set them to vibrate and Im assuming all is good.

You will not interfear with the bridge ... however, depending on their equipment, they may hear you conversations. Do yourself a favor and get a device that supports a different combination of channels. They work well and more than likely you will not get any intruders.

Archived