What hotel would you recommend on South Beach

kiraryker

Looking around the $250/night price range - we are 3 families with 7 teenagers that will want to see and do things for our post cruise stay - we have from 8AM till the next morning without a vehicle.

I was currently booked at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami but after reading some posts I'm thinking the kids may not have enough entertainment?

We were currently booked at $237/night Holiday Inn

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

We're booked at the Holiday Inn at the Port of Miami as well - but for the night before the cruise (used my points for it). I know it's nice and close to the port.

I'd also love to hear from others about great resorts in Miami Beach/South Beach - preferably oceanfront - as we want to stay 3 or 4 days after our cruise.

Both posters : Could you give us the dates you are looking at as well as your budgets? That would help with defining choices.

Sure! 1 night March 22nd and currently we have the Holiday Inn Port of Miami for $237 - so roughly around that price maybe a little more if really nice right by alot of entertainment.

We have always stayed at the Holiday Inn-Miami Beach oceanfront. We come in the night before and get to explore South Beach night life (walking distance). We're staying there this Friday too!!

We rent a car at the airport so we can hit Wal-Mart for bottled water, etc. Then we return the car at another location and catch a shuttle to the port from the car rental agency.

I love being on the beach and this hotel is perfect. We use our points, so I don't know what the rate is.

We have always stayed at the Holiday Inn-Miami Beach oceanfront. We come in the night before and get to explore South Beach night life (walking distance). We're staying there this Friday too!!

We rent a car at the airport so we can hit Wal-Mart for bottled water, etc. Then we return the car at another location and catch a shuttle to the port from the car rental agency.

I love being on the beach and this hotel is perfect. We use our points, so I don't know what the rate is.

Sorry I don't know Miami - is this Holiday Inn different from the Holiday Inn Port of Miami?

Is there alot to do around the area for teenagers

In our case, we're looking for a post cruise hotel - Miami Beach/South Beach - oceanfront - nice resort-like..... for end of May (May 30 to June 3rd)... for 3 or 4 nights. Price wise - I'd prefer to stay under $300 - closer to $200 would be even better - but we do want something with a nice resort feel and really nice pool area.

Sorry I don't know Miami - is this Holiday Inn different from the Holiday Inn Port of Miami?

Is there alot to do around the area for teenagers

Here's the link:

https://secure.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/miamb?secure=true&DPSLogout=true

It's called Holiday Inn-Miami Beach-Oceanfront.

It's right on the beach and there is a pool as well. We walked a short distance to shops, restaurants, night clubs, etc. I don't know if I'd let them go wander by themselves, perhaps someone who is more familiar with that area could comment.... "Miami Ink" is there, but I can't remember how far. We may have driven once to that. (It's a television show.)

Ocean Drive is close and there's a lot of art deco hotels and buildings. The Cuban coffee is GREAT at litte coffee shops. Lot of beach shops, etc.

I can't remember how long the walk is to get to shops, etc. Maybe if you googled a map?

In our case, we're looking for a post cruise hotel - Miami Beach/South Beach - oceanfront - nice resort-like..... for end of May (May 30 to June 3rd)... for 3 or 4 nights. Price wise - I'd prefer to stay under $300 - closer to $200 would be even better - but we do want something with a nice resort feel and really nice pool area.

You should be able to get good rates at that time of year. I would try investigating the art deco hotel/resorts in the South Beach area.

Sure! 1 night March 22nd and currently we have the Holiday Inn Port of Miami for $237 - so roughly around that price maybe a little more if really nice right by alot of entertainment.

Some friends of ours (with family) stayed at the Doubletree Surfcomber Hotel right in the midst of S. Beach and near Lincoln Dr. which is great for shopping too. They said it was pretty nice tho smallish rooms. But direct access to a full beach and the boardwalk. Haven't checked prices, but I'd think you could get that one for a reasonable rate and the location would be the best for you all without a car. Check it out and read recent reviews on Trip advisor. Might help. We have not stayed there, but am going on another family's review.

Here's the link:

https://secure.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/miamb?secure=true&DPSLogout=true

It's called Holiday Inn-Miami Beach-Oceanfront.

It's right on the beach and there is a pool as well. We walked a short distance to shops, restaurants, night clubs, etc. I don't know if I'd let them go wander by themselves, perhaps someone who is more familiar with that area could comment.... "Miami Ink" is there, but I can't remember how far. We may have driven once to that. (It's a television show.)

Ocean Drive is close and there's a lot of art deco hotels and buildings. The Cuban coffee is GREAT at litte coffee shops. Lot of beach shops, etc.

I can't remember how long the walk is to get to shops, etc. Maybe if you googled a map?

Lee, you must be thinking of the Holiday Inn South Beach which was torn down several years ago.

The HI you are providing a link to is in Mid Beach which is walkable to nothing.

kiraryker, take a look at The South Seas, The Marseilles, Doubletree Surfcomber, Courtyard South Beach, Bently, and Cardoza hotels. Do not stay in Mid Beach.

Lee, you must be thinking of the Holiday Inn South Beach which was torn down several years ago.

The HI you are providing a link to is in Mid Beach which is walkable to nothing.

No, we actually stayed at this hotel last year and it's directly on the beach, boardwalk, and is within walking distance of shops and restaurants. It's on Collins Avenue.

Anyone heard of the Catalina? I called Doubletree but it was about $289/night

Expedia has the Catalina at $187

Go to the Doubletree web site. You'll probably get lower rates there.

To stay at a moderate hotel in S. Beach, you will have to pay over $200. Didn't you say earlier that you were ready to pay over 200 at the Holiday Inn at the port?

I don't know the Catalina but looked it up on tripadvisor. Personally it wouldn't be for me. And if you are getting the rooms for under $200, you'd be in the lowest rated building. (It appears there are 3 levels of buildings). It looks like a hotel geared to young adults for "fun" and not really interested in the room itself. I noticed in one picture they include condoms right out with their snacks. Sort of tells you what to expect?

Check out the other hotels that Blue Herons suggested. Make sure you check out the hotels' web sites as there are sometimes specials and guarranteed lowest rates. I'd suggest you let the other family members traveling with you help make the decision with you. Perhaps they don't know the pricing in Miami and need more info re the location of hotels.

It appears your date is right between two big conventions. So with the stayer ons pre and post convention, I wouldn't think you are going to have a whole lot of choices if you wait too long. Let us know what you end up with. :)

Thank you I did call the Double Tree directly and they quoted me $289 before taxes. Just trying to see what else I can get at maybe a lower price (trying not to be cheap for the area) but also want to be with in walking distance to fun things and all the sights since this will be our first time in that area.

Thank you I did call the Double Tree directly and they quoted me $289 before taxes. Just trying to see what else I can get at maybe a lower price (trying not to be cheap for the area) but also want to be with in walking distance to fun things and all the sights since this will be our first time in that area.

I'll be at the HI-Oceanfront tomorrow night and I'll report back with exactly what is around, etc. for you when we return on the 16th. Hope that helps!

Oh thank you!! That would be wonderful - can't wait:D

If you want to be in South Beach, you do not want to stay in Mid Beach.

The Catalina is an okay hotel but beware on trying to skimp on a hotel in South Beach.

The hotels are really old and even though refurbished and brought up to date, the configurations are still the same so some hotel rooms can be really really small.

In South Beach, a standard room is one double bed in most hotels. Anything larger is considered an upgrade.

I would splurge on the $289 and go with the Doubletree Surfcomber. You will really be glad you spent the money and the location is excellent. You are literally next door the The Delano and steps from Lincoln Road Mall. Tons and tons of shopping, dining, and attractions within a two minute walk.

No, we actually stayed at this hotel last year and it's directly on the beach, boardwalk, and is within walking distance of shops and restaurants. It's on Collins Avenue.

Lee, there is no sidewalk in front of that hotel so it isn't really walkable except on the beach. The hotel is in a super busy part of Collins Avenue and you really need a car to stay there.

If you go to the doubletree website, you can get two doubles in a room for $254 with prepayment.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Doubletree Surfcomber for 4 nights end of May for $259 a night for an ocean view king room. The location seems great, and the it seems like a pretty decent price for the location.

Have any of you stayed here recently, and if so - how did you like it?

Thanks!

spacer.gif

I just got the Doubletree Surfcomber for 4 nights end of May for $259 a night for an ocean view king room. The location seems great, and the it seems like a pretty decent price for the location.

Have any of you stayed here recently, and if so - how did you like it?

Thanks!

spacer.gif

I also booked for March - I will let you know what I thought when we get back

Archived