singles cruising..sharing

belaqua

anybody else hate those ridiculous supplements??and has anyone started a ``share`` forum to get roomies,so it won`t break the bank...i`m interested!!

There is a solo forum on Cruise Critic but they frown on people looking for roomies.;) I think they even mention it in the rules for the boards.

Why not look at Cruise Critic Group Cruises. I cruise with a group through the boards and get a great price and bennies. I cruise solo

and the last cruise I took was a 1A cabin for nine nights on the Destiny. It was $749 with a $100 shipboard credit and a 2 bottles of wine. Works great.....

Ridiculous? It's actually no different (double occupancy) than a hotel room except they list the price per person except per room. The room is being paid for and on the flip side, people who cruise with more than two to a room, only pay for an additional third or fourth person which is a lot less than most cabins cost. I know you can find someone to share a cabin with. I am surprised so many people have to post online to find someone to cruise with them though. You'd think most people would have at least 2 or 3 friends/family who would go with them.

Carnival doesn't do it anymore, but back in 2000 they would sell a cruise with a discounted rate with the possibility they would put a roommate in with you. A girl we met on our flights back then had that plan. Her agent said not to worry, they seldom if ever actually put anyone else in the cabin.

Guess what, we met her later on ship and she had a roommate the complete opposite of her and it really put a damper on both of their cruises trying to work things out.

The only reason I mention that story is I think you'd be a lot better off either paying the single supplement, or finding someone you know to share your cabin. Finding someone off a message board could be risky in more ways than one and turn a great cruise experience into something less than memorable. Just my 2 cents.....

anybody else hate those ridiculous supplements??and has anyone started a ``share`` forum to get roomies,so it won`t break the bank...i`m interested!!

I certainly don't like paying the supplement....but do because I love to cruise and prefer solo. While we might think it "ridiculous", it is simply economics. The accounting has been done, figuring in all costs and Carnival knows it costs XXX amount of $$$ to support a cabin on their ships. If two people travel, the cost is divided; if one goes solo, one assumes the entire cost. Just like a hotel. If the hotel room is 100.00, two people assume 1/2 the cost; if one person stays, that person pays the whole thing.

I'd never, ever share a cabin with someone I didn't know well...nor take the chance of being in a cabin with someone untrustworthy. Besides, I like the serenity of my own cabin.....alone.....and private.

Most cruise lines used to have a "share" program where they'd attempt to get a room mate for you...... They stopped that many years ago after being sued by some whose matchup ended in disaster; theft, injury or simply disatisfaction.

You might want to think twice about this.

. . . I don't mind paying the supplement either. Its a small price for privacy and solitude and being able to do exactly what you want to do. I cruise off season so, frequently, I get great rates also. :)

I did, however, meet a nice lady at a singles table on a birthday cruise on the GLORY several years back(one of the best tables I've ever been at). Our birthday anniversaries are on the same day and we've celebrated our birthdays by taking several cruises together and sharing a cabin. She's 35 years younger than I am, but loves cruising and is a lot of fun.:D

Does wonders for my ego. :rolleyes:

(and rattles the crap out of the ex-wife, too) :D

. . . I don't mind paying the supplement either. Its a small price for privacy and solitude and being able to do exactly what you want to do. I cruise off season so, frequently, I get great rates also. :)

I did, however, meet a nice lady at a singles table on a birthday cruise on the GLORY several years back(one of the best tables I've ever been at). Our birthday anniversaries are on the same day and we've celebrated our birthdays by taking several cruises together and sharing a cabin. She's 35 years younger than I am, but loves cruising and is a lot of fun.:D

Does wonders for my ego. :rolleyes:

(and rattles the crap out of the ex-wife, too) :D

LOL!!!

I agree.....I don't really mind it because I LOVE to sail solo. There is nothing like not having to worry about anyone while on vacation!

You couldn't pay me to bring some stranger into my cabin. I like to spread out, run on my time. That's part of the reason I cruise solo. I couldn't imagine trying to get up early in the morning and trying to not wake up my stranger roomate because they came in at 3am when I have been in bed since midnight. I would never risk that.

Archived