Freedom delay: Searching for overboard monkey!!

DGP1111

I'm not a CC insider or group member so the loss of the monkey means nothing to me. If I had been onboard I might have found some humor in the situation, however when i hear a wedding vow renewal group ceremony and dinner was disrupted I find all the humor lost. If I had been the one responsible for the monkey incident I would have found the group and after apologizing would have bought a round or two of champagne for the group. Maybe I'm in the minority of posters to this board, however responsibility is a word of meaning. Making excuses seems to be the way we do things anymore.:(

Word!

Yes..I would say that this was certainly 'way out of the norm'....but, you as a person who has cruised before probably know that ANYTHING can happen on a ship..

Yes, it does suck that the vow renewal was ruined...but I will say to you the same thing I say to the people who plan their weddings on a cruise.

:eek: ARE YOU NUTS?????

I don't agree but it appears the majority of posters here feel the owner of the monkey did absolutely nothing wrong and owed no apologies in the end result. So unfortunately it would appear HALOS is correct that no one should go on a cruise and expect anything should go the way planned and if it doesn't you have no one to blame but yourself for not understanding that ahead of time. Now that I've got that straight I'm not so sure my next cruise is such a bargain or not. :(

Word!

Are the wedding vow renenwal group and their dinner party deserving of an apology and if so by who?

Tendering for mortals to Grand Cayman was held up so a wedding party could get ashore (in Grand Cayman? are they nuts?). Are the thousands of other passengers entitled to an apology from that wedding party? Perhaps compensation from Carnival?

There have been several calls for it, and I actually think an apology IS definitely needed on this thread.

And I'm now going to make it.

Had I not created this, someone else surely would have . . . but I just happened to have been that one passenger closest to a keyboard, and did so in order to advise a cruise message board what was actually happening, in case an incorrect rumor had been started earlier. I'm regretting now that I did so, as this thread (like so many others before it) has gone drastically downhill. So, I apologize for being the one who created yet another CruiseCritic monster. I post with some frequency on existing topics, and I'd like to think I'm not viewed as being a trouble maker -- but I will certainly pause before ever starting a brand new topic in the future. :(

There were things on this cruise that were definitely memorable in a positive way. There were things that were occasionally frustrating. But one thing I'll take away from the vacation experience was observing a huge (500+) group onboard as an outsider, and realizing that a sincere love of crusing can bring many together, and keep many together as life-long friends, while getting along in an atmosphere that keeps everyone pretty darn close.

You'd think that if hundreds can find a way . . . a few dozen on one thread could learn to get along, or at least co-exist. I'm still gonna keep hope on that one.

So, at least for me, it's now 'Over and Out'. Again, I apologize for starting a conversation that turned controversial.

(Lord, please let a passenger run naked across the stage during a cruise production show this week, which just might divert attention from the inflatable issue while discussing the streaker)

(Lord, please let a passenger run naked across the stage during a cruise production show this week, which just might divert attention from the inflatable issue while discussing the streaker)[/color][/size]

Word!

i dont understand why people say "it's just an accident" as if that makes it o.k. if a drunk driver has an accident, does that make it o.k.?:confused:

mike

Yea.. What Mike said!

you compare this to a drunk driver??

I hardly think anyone who has lost someone due to a drunk driver would see the similarity.

This is where you are wrong- it was funny for some to see the monkey while docked, funny to see the monkey dressed up and paraded around, funny that the monkey had a life of it's own. It is not funny that three ships and one helicopter spent untold dollars and delayed the schedule for all concerned to search for a toy that was taped to the balcony. Someone in the bunch just stated that the reinforced the tape just prior to going in to get ready for dinner because the winds were picking up. How much easier would it have been to say, "it is dark, it is windy, I am just going to bring it in until Jamacia."?

I think you need to redefine you view of funny. The person that owes the apology is the owner, she is posting today on the RCCL board and admitted her error- I am sure she has read all of these posts yet has not chimed in. And, for the record I have not been rude to anybody, I have not called any names, just stated I felt the owner (and all involved) were irresponsible and should be held accountable for their actions (which were not accidental, funny, or minor.)

You are so right. This isn't funny...and it wasn't funny and it cuased a lot of havok

But let it go already.

Trying to stay away from the controvery around this. I will say that I was pretty impressed with the response of the cruise line. 2 other ships where searching the water along with the Freedom and the helicopter was overhead ASAP. Makes me feel safer knowing that they definately have their act togethor and do have a great concern for the passengers.

But one thing I'll take away from the vacation experience was observing a huge (500+) group onboard as an outsider, and realizing that a sincere love of crusing can bring many together, and keep many together as life-long friends, while getting along in an atmosphere that keeps everyone pretty darn close.

That is exactly how all of us met, through crusing, online and these and other boards. It is so great that we were able to forge forever friendships. Remember any outsider can become and insider with just an introduction!

Just remember that no one ever on cc is going to agree with every post/opinion and noone can change anyones either no matter what is stated. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who cares-no one in the end was hurt. There are so much more worst situations happening around us. Thus the world still turns.

So, I apologize for being the one who created yet another CruiseCritic monster. I post with some frequency on existing topics, and I'd like to think I'm not viewed as being a trouble maker -- but I will certainly pause before ever starting a brand new topic in the future. :(

(Lord, please let a passenger run naked across the stage during a cruise production show this week, which just might divert attention from the inflatable issue while discussing the streaker)

No need to apologize for relating happenings on the Freedom- and although this thread has people from both sides of the argument (ultimately never agreeing on who/what was to blame) it has brought to everyones attention that nothing should be left out on your balcony lest this could happen to you!

What is underwhelming is the lack of compassion for those grieving over the loss of Julius. While I'm certain that he was lost doing what he loved, and that he is delighted that he gave people a chuckle on the way out, there is no doubt that the world has one less inflatable monkey today. A sad day, indeed.

I declare December to forever be Remember Julius Month!

By all means, remove furniture from the balconies and especially remove smokers from the balconies.

yAeCl-DcfkSY0GToQzeBOotml52RdJDG0300.jpg

By all means, remove furniture from the balconies and especially remove smokers from the balconies.

yAeCl-DcfkSY0GToQzeBOotml52RdJDG0300.jpg

And fat people. And anyone over 80.. Oh, yea, and ugly people.. :) (The post you have just read is a joke. It's intent was not to offend anybody. As a fat, and ugly person, I was really kind of making fun of myself and trying to lighten the mood of this thread. Please don't hate on me. )

I assume your over 80 too?

Im not sure an apology needs to be on this thread for those that werent there however seem to be upset over the 'accident'. If you all can track her down on the other board then im sure you have her email address and if you were that upset over the situation and you were on board then you can speak your peace on an individual level.

She has stated her peace may not be on your thread but it was done.,..

What do you people want the monkeys mom to do? It's done an over

with, it was not intentional and I'm sure she feels bad about it. She

knows what happened as the result of the monkey falliing overboard

and I'm sure she wishes she had a seatbelt on him.

It was an accident.

1) I agree that the whole thing happened as an honest mistake. No one meant any harm. It was just some fun that took the wrong exit.

2) The fact some passengers didn't respond to the request (and later, demand) to go to the lobby to 'check-in' was not a mistake. That was ignorance. Those people in cabin 1450 will certainly not be getting a Christmas card from me this year. :mad:

3) Yep, we are currently haulin' butt to get to Jamaica on time. Every time I check the screen it's about 21 knots.

4) I'm gonna have fun in Jamaica, and finally get that @$%& coffee that the office wants me to bring back.

Hi Don-

I am sorry I didn't get to meet you on the cruise and I am sorry I didn't make it to ANY of the functions our group had scheduled. I was busy chasing a 5yr old around the ship--our first cruise bringing her along, so I had no idea how busy I would be! :D I agree, it was an honest mistake and I never thought anyone actuallythrew it overboard. We certainly had a windy cruise at just about every port and I think it certainly just got swept overboard, unfortunately. Thankfully, we made it to Jamaica on time and had a wonderful day there! I, too, will commend the Captain and the crew for the quick reaction and committment to making sure it was NOT a person that went over. It's nice to know that although it ended up turning into a big joke for the rest of the week on the ship, that had anyone actually been in trouble and floating around in the ocean that we had a terrific search effort going. For any future FREEDOM cruisers, be sure to ask the crew about the "monkey overboard" and they will probably give a big laugh and have a story to tell you!

Happy Cruising!

For any future FREEDOM cruisers, be sure to ask the crew about the "monkey overboard" and they will probably give a big laugh and have a story to tell you!
I'm sure I will mention it once or twice next week!!:) Will depend on the 'mood' of the staff...;)

I am definitely leaving my 'monkey kite' at home... They'd probably throw me off the ship!!!:eek::p

I didn't read all the responses but I true story is the monkey was tide to the balcony and and when the wind blew it flew away. There was no irresponsibility there, and as far as her paying for the cost it took to do the search it should be the people that made them page for 2 1/2 hours to go to the lobby and swipe their cards not the person that had the monkey. All went well we arrived in Jamacia on time so it didn't really inconvenience anybodyand anyways it was good training for the crew, there is no better training then when it is real.

Archived