Freedom delay: Searching for overboard monkey!!

DGP1111

I was also on the Freedom . They had a helicopter doing a grid search and another cruise ship had to stop along side of us. I think the monkey popped when it hit the water.

Two other ships and the helicopter. In addition to Freedom there was Liberty of the Seas and Solstice.

I think Julius was in good shape - must have been to have survived so many cruises catching rays in the Caribbean sun.

RIP Julius!

I wanted to stay in GC too, wait for the wind to calm down so we could go out to Stingray City!! Hard to blame Julius for taking the plunge.

Quite frankly, I file this in the "ship happens" category. Sure, it sucked to circle around and wait for everyone to check in. The announcements were really hard to hear in the dining room (for those of us at early seating).

We made it to OR on time, we all got to learn what would happen in the event it was a human that went overboard (and it was reassuring to me to know what would happen!).

Such is life. Next!

We didn't enjoy this cruise as much as others, but the monkey situation was wrong. If they had done a muster drill, everything would have been done in 20 minutes instead of 3 hours.

The monkey escaped.. he's probably trying to get to RCCL ships!

I have a feeling that Julius knew how to skip the muster drill. I think I have met him before on the Pride.In fact I think he had a buddy with him a jester to keep him company.

Allie did ya have a good time? Since I didn't get to go I pouted all week but really got cheered up when I read about Julius even had to take time and read it to Robert.

Bill I really enjoyed the pictures you posted .

Everyone have a wonderful day! And when Julius writes home be sure to let everyone know he's ok!

Kujobie, you Do Need to Lighten Up, worktocruise does not OWN the monkey & nope neither do I. So your attack was very uncalled for. Always someone wanting to jump on the wagon & go point fingers & accuse people. So that means you accidently accused the wrong person of owning the monkey, so now do you want to say the monkey didn't accidently go overboard????????

worktocruise said he "didn't take kindly to name calling" when he quoted my original post where I called the people who left the monkey on the balcony MOE-RONS, so I assumed he was, indeed, the MOE-RON who did that. Worktocruise, I apologize if you are not the MOE-RON who left the monkey unsecured on the balcony. Will the real MOE-RON please stand up. And, maybe it wasn't an accident. Anyone dumb enough to leave him out there in the first place is also probably dumb enough to throw him over board.

One monkey- and it's irresponsible owners- did cause problems that were not classified as funny and were not being viewed as a "ship happens" incident. I was on the ship with a group of 85 friends and family (many of which on their first cruise)- try explaining that this is way out of the norm! The confusion caused by the procedures for checking in were compounded by the S&S issues that were experienced throughout the cruise. Many non-reported guests had reported but were not acknowledged. A muster drill would have been the fastest way to ensure all passengers stopped what they were doing and reported for the head count. When left to their own devices some will just consider their personal agenda more important than that of the group.

And, for the one poster here that was on board traveling with the culprit, please let them know that the renewal of my and my sister-in-laws vows (which was planned by our husbands for almost two years as a surprise), along with the dinner for 30 of our friends and family at the Supper Club they were both hosting DID NOT go off as planned.

Rumors passed on through room stewards to one of my friends were that the owners had been informed to keep the monkey in the room after it was removed from the balcony by their room steward on more than one occasion. Also it is rumored that the owner is now banned from Carnival and was put off the ship in Jamacia, which may be the least of their concerns if they are held financially responsible for the false claim of passenger overboard.

On paper, this may appear to be a harmless mascot for the owner to parade around- but in reality it caused thousands of dollars in expense and inconvenienced over 4000 passengers and crew.

Sorry I am not closing this with an RIP, but rather a thank goodness the monkey is gone and won't cause further havoc.

worktocruise said he "didn't take kindly to name calling" when he quoted my original post where I called the people who left the monkey on the balcony MOE-RONS, so I assumed he was, indeed, the MOE-RON who did that. Worktocruise, I apologize if you are not the MOE-RON who left the monkey unsecured on the balcony. Will the real MOE-RON please stand up. :)

The real owner has come forward on other threads- check page 1 or 2 for a link to the owner's 5 second claim to fame.

The real owner has come forward on other threads- check page 1 or 2 for a link to the owner's 5 second claim to fame.

I'm too tired for riddles. I searched thru the first few pages and don't see that anyone has taken resposibility or links to other threads. Am I missing something? Can you just post the screen name of the owner so I know who to call a MOE-RON?

Rumors passed on through room stewards to one of my friends were that the owners had been informed to keep the monkey in the room after it was removed from the balcony by their room steward on more than one occasion. Also it is rumored that the owner is now banned from Carnival and was put off the ship in Jamacia, which may be the least of their concerns if they are held financially responsible for the false claim of passenger overboard.

I'm sure you really don't care - as the truth seems to really zoom right by your zip code, but your rumors are completely incorrect.

Just for the record...

--room steward never asked the monkey to be kept inside

--instead room steward brought fellow crew members down to cabin while guests were in port to take pictures (shall we talk about irresponsible here?)

--monkey was secure, as he always has been on past cruises but winds were extremely gusty, resulting in accidental monkey overboard

--guest remained on the cruise and it was never even mentioned that she would be left behind

--CCL hasn't banned anyone for this accident

Got it?

Sorry your super supper club and vow renewal didn't go off as planned. I too would have been disappointed. Just like I was disappointed that the weather sucked in GC and we didn't get to go on our excursion.

Welcome to life in the real world - and even on a cruise, ship happens. You learn to roll with it. It was an accident, it happened, I don't really think anyone enjoyed the incident, rather we're trying to make the best of it. And it's time to move on. Perhaps instead of name calling and spreading rumors, you can learn to enjoy life and roll with the punches.

It makes things soooo much easier.

nm, I found it. Thanks.. She's an RCCL fan,too.. There's another strike against her.. :)

Your one of the reasons i dont frequent this board to much. your majorally rude and thank god your not with our group.

For all the rumors listed in a reply are false, the Yes give them credit for acting on it when they realized it was Julius. they made the called ASAP. i read more negative on this board then the people on the cruise. We made our destination on time thanks to the captain of the vessel.

Yes it goes into the Ship happens category because something is always bound to happen on a cruise this just happened to be ours we all lived thru it and are now finding the humor in it. As one person already stated, with trying times today we all need a goodlaugh once in awhile.

yep im a rcl SNOB too and the monkey is a diamond member so whats that say maybe he just couldn't take carnival anymore if I was thinking like you are.

One monkey- and it's irresponsible owners- did cause problems that were not classified as funny and were not being viewed as a "ship happens" incident.

You are off base here with your facts. The owner has posted in many threads here talking about it and was not kicked off the boat or fined:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17248977&postcount=3738

She is also a very nice person whom would help anyone who needed her. I had the pleasure of sailing on the Pride with her and she is awesome! So please if you truthfully don't know her don't call her names! Accidents happen to all of us and I have had even a beach Towel blow off the balcony. She has sailed all the ships and is such a blast to be around and everyone that knows her loves her so please stop the name calling!

----------

Ruth

So defensive- friends will jump to respond at the drop of a comment. It was irresponsible. Winds were high- take the monkey in!!!!! We were sailing for a good 30 minutes. If you want a toy to parade around the ship then fine, do just that. I'm all for having a good time, but my good time does not impact yours. This time her toy crossed the line- I'm surprised in the 30 or so cruises it has gone on in the past it has not flown overboard already.

A ship turning around for 3 hours, a helicopter being deployed, an ENTIRE ship of passengers and crew being counted is not minor. That was a MAJOR incident. Ship happens is minor and often out of your control- you apparently are on her side, it is obvious you have your loyalities directed toward your friend. As for the rumors, I stated they were rumors. The monkey was the talk of the ship- even by the CD and last comedian.

I can bet 10 to 1 she has already ordered a new monkey for her next cruise.

Allie did ya have a good time? Since I didn't get to go I pouted all week but really got cheered up when I read about Julius even had to take time and read it to Robert.

Ruth - I'm sorry you couldn't join us! The cruise really was a lot of fun! It was great to meet everyone, the majority of the other passengers were very friendly. the weather was fairly decent (most of the time), and we made the best of it.

There were plenty of things to complain about - as with any cruise/vacation, nothing was absolutely perfect. I don't expect perfection, so it didn't really throw me off too much.

I'm ready to go again!

She is also a very nice person whom would help anyone who needed her. I had the pleasure of sailing on the Pride with her and she is awesome! So please if you truthfully don't know her don't call her names! Accidents happen to all of us and I have had even a beach Towel blow off the balcony. She has sailed all the ships and is such a blast to be around and everyone that knows her loves her so please stop the name calling!

----------

Ruth

I never said she was not a nice person- just did not use the best judgement in this situation. An experienced cruiser would know not to leave such an item (or any item) on their balcony. Common sense before humor or good times. Once again- not an accident. Accidents are situations that happen and are out of our control. This could have been prevented if she had just left the monkey on the balcony while we were in port (although winds gust then too) and brought it in while sailing.

----------

Ruth

I didn't say she wan't a nice person. I'm saying she did a very stupid thing and she herself is even blaming stragglers for the delay, which is LUDICROUS!! Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions?

I never said she was not a nice person- just did not use the best judgement in this situation. An experienced cruiser would know not to leave such an item (or any item) on their balcony. Common sense before humor or good times. Once again- not an accident. Accidents are situations that happen and are out of our control. This could have been prevented if she had just left the monkey on the balcony while we were in port (although winds gust then too) and brought it in while sailing.

Glass houses & stones - you don't know what really happened and you don't know the people involved. I really hope you never use bad judgement and have an accident. Major or minor. Someone here at our friendly CC boards will happily lob stones in your direction, for a very long time.

You are off base here with your facts. The owner has posted in many threads here talking about it and was not kicked off the boat or fined:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17248977&postcount=3738

Well, it is a good thing you posted the link because I don't think I would have searched the RCCL board and found it on the Oasis thread on page 187!!!!! Now, if she had posted her story on one of the active Carnival threads about her monkey I think it would be a little more evident. Oh- and I did see the group of 70's people in the 70's club/piano bar.

Archived