First-Time Snorkeler Needs Help

CatFan00

This will be my DW and my first-time snorkeling. From perusing these boards I have put a few things together. I was wondering if some could comment on where I might be wrong.

I already have fins, but am going to buy my DW fins because we live in Cali and go to the beach alot anyways. I am going to buy masks for both of us (after we both try them on of course) and I think I am going to buy both of us dry snorkels. I think I am going to pass on the vests, because I do not think we will go often, and I do not like to feel restrained. Can anyone comment on anything else we might need to go. I am planning on buying an underwater pouch also. I am still a bit confused as to whether to buy an underwater camera or not. We already have a simple canon that we both love. I don't know why, but kind of do not want to buy a digital camera, and therefore not a case. I just like the idea of having an underwater camera and not being afraid if it gets wet. Thanks to all for commenting in advance.

trouble w/underwater cameras is that you need a pretty good (and expensive) rig to take good photos, due to the light/color shift underwater. So for example, a flash is important. Unless you want to spend a good amount of $$ on one, I would suggest simply using an underwater disposable.

As for vest, I just bought some. I have been on several snorkle excursions and some shore snorkeling on my own, and each had some rule or requirement to use a vest, which I had to rent in many cases. I just bought a vest for my next trip, simply to save the rental fees, since I plan two shore trips. check out http://www.discountdivegear.com/mall/accessories.asp where I found vests for $26. Highly recommend this vendor.

I don't know about Trunk Bay, but at the Baths they don't care what you do. You are totally on your own. We had our first cruise in October 2004. One of the excursions we went on was to the Baths. We were very disappointed. You walk down a steep hill to get to the beach. Remember, you also have to walk back up the steep hill. The beach is very small. The people running the resturant are indifferent and rude. Most of the lockers don't work and the toliet and shower facilities are dirty and in need of major repair. You also have to pay to use the lockers, toliet, and showers. The snorkeling isn't all that great. They allow small motorized rafts to come into the swimming area. The people on the rafts seemed to be having a good time drinking beer and trying to avoid the swimmers as they piloted the rafts to the beach. One swimmer was pushed under by one of the rafts. The huge boulders on the beach make it very senic. The caves are just boulders that are leaning against each other. There is another beach through these caves. We had just entered "the caves" when several people came back from the other beach. One woman was limping. She had slipped in the caves and twisted her ankle. The path in the caves are slippery and steep. There is a thin rope at one place to help you get up and down the rock. It is not very helpful. I had just gotten up it when we decided to turn back. We had about 30 people on our excursion that day. On the way back to the ship we all decided that the Baths were a very big disappointment. If you are going to snorkel you should certainly wear a snorkeling vest. Most tours make you wear one. I felt more at ease and was able to enjoy myself more wearing my vest. The new snorkeling vests are very light weight and not restraining. They have a small tube that you blow into to inflate the vest. If you want to dive down to see something you just push down on the top of the tube with your mouth, cross your arms in front and squeeze. The vest deflates and you can dive. It just takes about 4 puffs to reinflate. We went on a catamaran to a coral reef. The ocean was very choppy and crowded with other snorkelers. I was very glad I had a vest. Have fun on your cruise. We are already planning our next cruise. If you have any more questions you can email me at: kat4598@iowatelecom.net

Hi, CatFan00. We have taken 10 cruises and snorkled on most of them. We always take the rental package for the equipment and even though we are well experienced now, it seems that everybody requires a vest. I have never inflated it, but was forced to wear it. As for the camera, we use the underwater one time use camera. We generally use Fuji, but I have seen people with Kodak cameras. They all have a wrist strap so you won't lose it. If you are diving down deep to take pictures, it will be dark without a flash, but the pictures we take near the surface are OK. I have to admit, not as colorful as the real thing, but at least a reminder of what we saw. I have a good picture of a baracuda that I encountered! I would strongly suggest you buy a camera at home. The ones on the ship are close to double in price. Then if you have shots left, it is fun to play with while swimming or in the hot tub.

Have fun!:cool:

Anne Marie

trouble w/underwater cameras is that you need a pretty good (and expensive) rig to take good photos, due to the light/color shift underwater. So for example, a flash is important. Unless you want to spend a good amount of $$ on one, I would suggest simply using an underwater disposable.

As for vest, I just bought some. I have been on several snorkle excursions and some shore snorkeling on my own, and each had some rule or requirement to use a vest, which I had to rent in many cases. I just bought a vest for my next trip, simply to save the rental fees, since I plan two shore trips. check out http://www.discountdivegear.com/mall/accessories.asp where I found vests for $26. Highly recommend this vendor.

Just posting a "thank you" for the link here....bought 3 snorkel vests...I hate blowing up a vest that 30,000 other people have had their mouths on...thanks!!!!:D

Archived