Can we do both - Chacchoben & Mahajual Beach???

Susie

If I take the ship's excursion, which leaves at 8:30 a.m. and is scheduled to last 4 hours, can we do the Chacchoben ruins and visit the beaches at Mahahual and have lunch before 3:30 p.m.? The only reason I would do the ship excursion is to get off early and get the ruins tour done in time to hit the beach and enjoy the food in Mahajual. Otherwise, I'm going to have to choose between one or the other. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

or wait until you reach shore? Do they have many vendors selling excursions to the ruins in the port of Costa Maya. How are the prices? Which Ruins are the best considering the time constraints?

We are arriving in Costa Maya on Nov. 23, 2004 (Thanksgiving Week). My son, who is 10, is currently studying the Mayan Civilization. He said he would like to visit a ruin.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Kim:)

Kim,

We went to the Chacchoben Ruins last week during our port stop. We didn't find any vendors selling the trip in port and never found a website where we could set this up ahead of time BUT we did not want to go on the ship's excursion (partly due to cost - they wanted $76 each - but mostly didn't want to be herded like cattle). Here's what we did instead:

1) We walked through the Tourist Village to grab a cab to Mahajual for $3 each.

2) Did a quick walk through the town and went to the taxi stand.

3) Negotiated two cabs to take our six adults (3 per cab). We paid $90 per cab for the one hour drive to the ruins, waiting for us for 90 minutes, a side trip to the Monkey Farm, and a return back to town (or they'd have taken us directly back to the ship if we'd wanted).

4) Spent an hour shopping and an extra hour eating on the beach.

5) Took a cab back to port for $2 each (or you can walk back using the path).

Admission at the ruins is $3/person and you should get a guided tour for an additional $5/person. They have snacks and drinks plus minor shopping at the entrance. Our guide was David and I'd HIGHLY recommend him. There is no fee to visit the Monkey Farm (actually an area that has many orphaned/rehabilitated animals) but most folks leave a few dollars/person as a donation.

If you're even mildly adventuresome, definitely go this route as you'll have a better experience for less money. If not, set up a shore excursion with the ship as you'll not find onshore guides available.

• 3 weeks later...

FloridaAdGuy--How were the ruins--can you compare to Tulum or ruins in Belize? We've been to Tulum and wanted to also visit ruins on this trip but not in every port. We are wondering if we should opt for ruins in Belize or Costa Maya. Would appreciate any input you'd have. Thanks.

Archived