tour operators in Korea, China, Japan and Vietnam

nain and taid

In March we are cruising to Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), Incheon for Seoul (South Korea), Shanghai and Tianjin (for Beijing) China, and Kagoshima and Yokohama (Japan). Can any one recommend private tour operators for these ports who speak passable English and can be contacted by e-mail?

Many thanks in advance.

My wife and I are also taking a March cruise (with Oceania), and would appreciate any e-mail contacts you may now have.

Please reply to: ellis.scott@tiscali.co.uk.

Ellis Scott

Do not know if I can help you folks - however we did China, Korea & Japan this spring and we prefer private tours to whatevert he ship offers. I did my research and came up with the following:

Japan - I used Goodwill Hosts these are locals who love their cities and act as your guide for free...a private guide service in Japan was just way too expensive for us... I have used Goodwill Guides in Melborne Australia and in Japan. You get a private tour guide you shows you their city thru a locals eyes.

Korea - here I did find some tour companies that would have provided a private tour but the cost was too high so I went with the ships tours.

In Shanghai we used a guide named Rebecca who was fabulous. While in Shanghai make sure you ride the MagLev train the worlds fastest train - we went 432 km per hour on it; the Bund Tourist tunnel was another must do in my opinion. Of the skip varity was the Urban Planning Hall, Shanghai Museum & French Quarter.

In Beijing we used a guide named Leylee who was wonderful. I can highly recommend both of these ladies.

If you want their contact info and information on what we did and enjoyed feel free to ask I am ann at century 21 vancouver dot com minus the spaces of course.

I would appreciate those e-mail addresses.

Please reply to: ellis.scott@tiscali.co.uk

Thank you

Ellis Scott

In March we are cruising to Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), Incheon for Seoul (South Korea), Shanghai and Tianjin (for Beijing) China, and Kagoshima and Yokohama (Japan). Can any one recommend private tour operators for these ports who speak passable English and can be contacted by e-mail?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, I am going to use the volunteer guides in Kyoto and Tokyo..the japanese tourism sites has links to the clubs who provide this service thorughout Japan...there is no charge and they speak english.:D

Hello, I am interested in guides in Shanghai, Seoul and Japan. Can you help?

Elaine A

I have just become aware that there is Goodwill Guiding service in South Korea. It appears to be very similar to the Japanese Goodwill Guiding Service. For further information, see http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/GK/GK_EN_2_7_3_1.jsp

• 2 weeks later...

Have just sent you an email - would welcome feedback on your experience with the Goodwill Guides in Japan. - Thanks in advance :)

I was browsing and noted your post. We used a very good Goodwill Guide when we stayed in Japan on our own in 2007. This was in Tokyo. The lady lived in a large Tokyo suburb and took the train to meet us at our hotel, the Palace. She teaches English and dance from her home, and may be the most attractive grandmother in Japan. We had arranged an earlier Goodwill Guide in Kyoto, but DW was a bit under the weather after just arriving from China, so we had to cancel.

My memory is that you have to go through a Goodwill club, of which there are often many in the large cities. You can find these listed on the web. As you must know, these people ask only for travel reimbursement and payment of any fees. We also went to dinner together, and of course we picked up the tab.

Contrary to some places such as China, Japanese are honest. Also, the only Japanese we dealt with who would accept a tip were the taxi drivers, who do expect one.

Having also been there a few times years ago while serving with the Air Force in Korea, I could go on about Japan, but lucky for you, I won't. :D

Thanks, Bobtroll, I did not know about guides in Korea. We may travel there next fall.

Bob :cool:

Archived