If you had to Choose

libbydic

I am trying to decide between HAL Westerdam and Princess Caribbean Princess in February. I have sailed Princess twice before and I like them have I have never sailed HAL.....Princess is a little bit cheaper for a Balcony than HAL (but not by much), so cost is really not a factor.

Any pros or Cons would be appreciated...

Thanks

Depending on your interests, age etc.. On HAL the ship will "close down" earlier and the entertainment more subdued.. but service is excellent, hot hors'deoures (cannot spell that word) in some bars before dinner... if the "older generation" activities are okay with you,you may enjoy HAL. We have cruised both.. I prefer Princess personally because even though I'm in my 50s I like to hit the disco a couple of nights etc. and on HAL that doesn't happen. Princess also has more flexible dining arrangements BTW..

We were on the Caribbean Princess last May, her 6th trip. Also on the Golden. We are in our 50's.

The Golden was a great trip but the Caribbean Princess just didn't measure up to our previous experience. We tried HAL last November and really liked the Veendam; we'll be back on the Veendam this Saturday. HAL is a little more laid back.

We rate them in this order: Hal #1, RCCL #2, Princess #3, Carnival #4, Celebrity #5, NCL #6.

Cruzincurt

What about the Caribbean Princess just did not measure up for you? Because I also was on the Golden Princess and the Sun and I liked both ships. So I am curious to know what you didn't like about it.

Thanks

Libbydic,

I guess the one thing we felt was not up to our experience on the Golden Princess was the food offerings in the Lido for lunch. Of course we probably have to factor in that this was only the sixth sailing of the ship when we went last May. They were still in the shake out phase. We did like the PC dining but it was a little disorganized. If you had a reservation, you had to cut in front of people waiting in line and you got lots of dirty looks. They should have a line for those with reservations.

A lot of the focus was placed on the "movies under the stars" so they we kicking people out of the pool area pretty early to set up the chairs. Maybe we were not entirely in the "cruise" mode since we had just buried the DW's mother the Saturday before. So the time prior to the cruise was filled with stress and grief. Just wasn't as memorable as our trip on the Golden.

I am 32 years old and have been on 2 HAL cruises and one RCL cruise. I give HAL very high marks. On both HAL crusies I met people around my own age, was never bored, and thoroughly enjoyed the excellent service. My RCL experience was tainted b/c I was so used to the excellent service and more refined passengers I met on my previous HAL cruise. But note -- I am there solely for ME -- so I prefer fellow passengers who do not disrupt my vacationing experience. I liked the fact that I never had to fight for a chair on the deck and that I got excellent service at the late seating dinners b/c it was less crowded. I still keep in touch with many of the people I met on HAL -- even 2 years later!

If I had to choose, it would always be Princess!! Princess fits my every need, I am 60 yrs old, and I don't consider myself OLD..I want to have fun and enjoy my life just like everyone else!!

Princess all the way for this 60 yr old!!

Was on a Mediterranean cruise in October on the Westerdam. Love the ship, the food was good. They have a movie every night in theater like room, all the fresh popcorn to can eat.

It has a very nice layout of public rooms. You can not go wrong on the

Westerdam

STAN

Archived