Rolling Cooler, Checked Luggage, and Alcohol, OH MY...

macusa19

As I understand it, your collapsible rolling cooler, filled (with a reasonable amount) with sodas/water, can be used as a piece of checked luggage. Is that correct?

Is it acceptable to put your alcohol in this cooler, or do you suggest wrapping it up and placing it in your clothing bags?

We just got back from our Conquest cruise Sunday and did the whole bring your own liquer and sodas thing. We've tried it all sorts of ways but have come to the conclusion that lugging around a heavy cooler packed with drinks is just too much work for us. Those things are pretty darn heavy when packed full of drinks!:eek:

What we did on this last cruise worked out perfectly for us. We got the large 2 gallon zip locked bag and filled it with 6-8 cans of soda. Each of our 4 suitcases had one of these zip locked bags tucked in the middle of the suitcase with plenty of clothes around it to insulate it. One soda got punctured but the leak stayed in the bag. Only losing one drink was pretty good in my estimations. And the bag contained the leak. We had a couple of water bottles tucked in one of our suitcases that were filled with vodka and they came through okay too. Just put your stuff in a 2 gallon zip locked bag and divide it up amongst your suitcases. Make sure to pack a lot of clothes around it to insulate it. Then just fold up your collapsible cooler and tuck it into one of your suitcases. Your cabin steward will keep it filled with ice for you while on the cruise. And the cooler comes in handy while on the beach. That's my suggestion anyway.:)

After having a lot of stuff broken, we have gone back to an old hard-side Samsonite suitcase to carry all our breakables in. We use a wraparound luggage strap to hold it shut - can't lock it when flying anyways. Works great for us, and we've talked to a lot of people who say they are going to do the same. Our soft-side luggage has really been beat up and things buried inside were still broken. Good thing for ziplock bags! Worse thing is - no wheels on the old Samsonite! Gets heavy if you have to carry it far.

Archived