Antarctica Map

Jade13

Which map should I purchase for the Classic Expedition?

Here is one I found, and I believe there are some British maps as well? Any book recommendations would be great too.

http://www.longitudebooks.com/

Antarctica ITMB map

ITMB

2007 • MAP

[url=http://www.longitudebooks.com/find/p/3604/printable/1][/url]

A fold-up map of the continent at a scale of 1:8,000,000 with notes on wildlife and geography. (ANT81, $12.95)

Jade13 - The map with which we were provided on a complimentary basis last year on our ship, the Hanseatic, is "Antarctic Explorer", by Ocean Explorer Maps. It is also sold by longitudebooks.com at:

http://www.longitudebooks.com/find/p/12854

It is particularly useful if your cruise, like ours did, will include the Falklands and South Georgia.

We were very happy with the map and, in fact, ordered several more of them from longitudebooks.com to send to my nephews along with copies of our ship's log and backpacks with embroidered patches from many of our stops. I traced our ship's route on the map in highlighter so that they could follow it along with the ship's log.

Here is a great gift idea if you have kids to whom you'd like to give a souvenir of your cruise: At many stops (where there are research stations or museums) one can buy embroidered patches. Many ships provide backpacks to their passengers. We decided we didn't want to use ours on the Hanseatic for the landings and kept them clean to give to my nephews. Three other passengers who didn't want to take home their backpacks and hadn't used them (that is important, since they will reek of penguin poop if you use them on landings) gave their backpacks to us. Once we got home, we had a local company sew all of the patches onto the backpacks, which I then shipped off to the nephews, along with the maps and copies of the ship's log. Even if your ship does not provide backpacks, the patches make unique souvenirs to sew onto hats or backpacks purchased back at home. My youngest nephew insisted on wearing his backpack to school even though it was still far too big for him because no one else at school had something like that from "the land of the penguins".

Have a marvelous trip. Cheers, Fred

Jade13 - The map with which we were provided on a complimentary basis last year on our ship, the Hanseatic, is "Antarctic Explorer", by Ocean Explorer Maps. It is also sold by longitudebooks.com at:

http://www.longitudebooks.com/find/p/12854

It is particularly useful if your cruise, like ours did, will include the Falklands and South Georgia.

We were very happy with the map and, in fact, ordered several more of them from longitudebooks.com to send to my nephews along with copies of our ship's log and backpacks with embroidered patches from many of our stops. I traced our ship's route on the map in highlighter so that they could follow it along with the ship's log.

Here is a great gift idea if you have kids to whom you'd like to give a souvenir of your cruise: At many stops (where there are research stations or museums) one can buy embroidered patches. Many ships provide backpacks to their passengers. We decided we didn't want to use ours on the Hanseatic for the landings and kept them clean to give to my nephews. Three other passengers who didn't want to take home their backpacks and hadn't used them (that is important, since they will reek of penguin poop if you use them on landings) gave their backpacks to us. Once we got home, we had a local company sew all of the patches onto the backpacks, which I then shipped off to the nephews, along with the maps and copies of the ship's log. Even if your ship does not provide backpacks, the patches make unique souvenirs to sew onto hats or backpacks purchased back at home. My youngest nephew insisted on wearing his backpack to school even though it was still far too big for him because no one else at school had something like that from "the land of the penguins".

Have a marvelous trip. Cheers, Fred

Fred - Can you explain how one gets Penguin poop on a back-pack? Is that from putting it down on the ground?

The other ideas sound great. Btw, what currency did you use to make the purchases at the research stations?

Y ITEM PRICE TOTAL Antarctica, A Guide to the Wildlife #ANT30

25.99 25.99 Antarctica ITMB map #ANT81

12.95 12.95 Antarctica, A Call to Action #ANT280

24.95 24.95 South, The Endurance Expedition #ANT61

19.95 19.95 Penguins of the World #ANT62

24.95 24.95 SUBTOTAL: 108.79

I am thinking of this group of books/maps. The hard copies would stay at home of course.

Jade - As you will discover, the penguin poop smell is quite strong at the huge colonies. If you sit down or lean the pack against the ground or a rock, it will pick up the odor. We were happy to leave our jackets on the ship. We thought that our waterproof pants were pretty clean, since I washed the bottoms in the tub on our last sea day; but they still smelled. I packed them into large ziploc bags for the trip home and then washed them six or eight times to get the smell out.

As I recall, we used US dollars to buy souvenirs at the research stations.

Cheers, Fred

Y ITEM PRICE TOTAL Antarctica, A Guide to the Wildlife #ANT30

25.99 25.99 Antarctica ITMB map #ANT81

12.95 12.95 Antarctica, A Call to Action #ANT280

24.95 24.95 South, The Endurance Expedition #ANT61

19.95 19.95 Penguins of the World #ANT62

24.95 24.95 SUBTOTAL: 108.79

I am thinking of this group of books/maps. The hard copies would stay at home of course.

Note that I picked up the little $7.99 paperback on the Endurance Expedition. It's the only one small enough to take with you and includes some old photos. The new 2008 version is big and too heavy to travel...

Btw, the large "South" 2008 one marked $24.95 at Longitude is only $19.95 at Borders (paperback) and I believe Barnes and Noble, but again way too big.

Jade - As you will discover, the penguin poop smell is quite strong at the huge colonies. If you sit down or lean the pack against the ground or a rock, it will pick up the odor. We were happy to leave our jackets on the ship. We thought that our waterproof pants were pretty clean, since I washed the bottoms in the tub on our last sea day; but they still smelled. I packed them into large ziploc bags for the trip home and then washed them six or eight times to get the smell out.

As I recall, we used US dollars to buy souvenirs at the research stations.

Cheers, Fred

Fred, thanks!

Archived