My OPINION of RCCL Serenade of the Seas 10/30 - 11/6

Responding to TahoeBob:

I re-read the original post. I do not read anything negative, rude or anything else in the words or tone, but I do note frustration and embarassment. I am not offended by the post, nor do I get the impression that Sunny Bunny is talking down to anyone. Her post was factual mixed with emotion. I have seen it before.

I observe a trend across many boards, that individuals try to impose political correctness on any poster who asks/requests that high standards of dress, personal conduct, food, service be provided (particularly where the cruise line advertises this type of product) ie these people are the excusers of wild children and adult behavior, jeans on formal night, declining food standards. These people "paint" the posters as snobs (ie see the emails on this thread). I see this in the tone of many of the posters on THIS and other threads.

Sunny Bunny made a poor business decision.

Posters should learn to cope with people who have very different opinions, and make their first response one of analysis using facts, not emotions.

ABoatNerd

The main thing I thought interesting about the original posters comments, were why you would expect such a high level of service (wine glass comment) on RCCL. I mean seriously, you need to go to the high end cruise lines (Crystal or Raddison etc) for this type of service.

Again.....sounds like some want filet for the price of ground beef.

MTS

I don't think that political correctness is the issue here, but rather projection of tone in the written word. I recognized the tone but chose to ignore it, beyond mentioning it in my opening ("While ignoring your negative vibe, I do thank you for your review.") Words are important, and people do need to realize that by using certain words certain ways in certain forums that are projecting a message that perhaps they don't wish to project. There are snobs out there, so anyone who isn't interested in being characterized as such should expend the minimal amount of energy necessary to preclude being perceived as such. I don't blame any of the folks who replied for inferring the nefarious message even though I chose not to, since the poster was so casual with their characterizations. By the same token, I think I got more out of the original poster's message by deliberately ignoring the tone, than by choosing to allow it to shape my inferences.

Another note: I think it is clear that money isn't the issue, since you can get cruises on various cruise lines at comparable prices, yet the activities, intineraries, facilities and services vary widely. That's really the point here: Just because you're paying a specific amount doesn't mean what you're buying must be just the same as something else you have paid that amount for. I've bought Tanzanite stones larger than Rubies, for a lot less money. My wife enjoys both, for what they are.

Yes, I agree with the other posters that Sunny Bunny should have done more research and found a cruise line (Crystal, Radisson, etc.) that better fit her needs and sensibilities. She also noted that she had to fight for a table for two, and really wanted lots of alone time with her husband, so perhaps one of the smaller ships would be better.

Even if it wasn't her intention, the post did come off as a bit elitist. I feel no need to defend my socio-economic class or my choice of cruise line, but I will say that I chose Serenade because the itinerary and the dates fit our needs better than any other ship. My 14-year-old son gets only one week off next summer and I wanted to make the best of it for both of us. Also, almost all of the reviews I read (including Sunny Bunny's) praised the service and cleanliness on Serenade. I'm smart enough to know that when you're preparing meals for 2,500+, the food won't always be 5 stars. My guess is that a clean ship, friendly crew, the Alaskan landscape, and an entire week with my boy will more than make up for the occasional glitch in cuisine. Besides, when we get back we're heading up to visit TahoeBob and enjoy a BBQ on the lake (I'll bring back some goodies from the Alaskan Brewing Co.)! :D

Laurie

I just got back from my local "Gorge-yourself-a-rama." Man, you would not believe how much fried shrimp, black olives, peanut butter cookies, vinegar and onion potato chips and fruit loops I fit on my plate!! What, those don't go together?

IMHO, Sunny Bunny's post DOES come off as quite elitist. Perhaps, RCI simply was not for her, but imagine if she went on a Carnival cruise (uh oh, here some the Carnival folks...)

Oh well, of course, she is entitled to her opinion. I am just suprised that she did not complain about the behavior of the children. I think one of them may have taken one too many brownies in the buffet one night...

Well, I am off to drink some cheap beer out of a, ahhhhhhhh!!!! whiskey glass. Oh what the heck, I'm sure it will taste fine.

My only cruise on Celebrity was on the Century in 1996. It was a PBA charter from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Maarten...I would hardly call cruising with 1000+ drunk cops for seven days an "elegant experience."

Other than having larger cabins than RCL nothing about the ship itself impressed me and I never gave cruising on Celebrity another chance.

Never had a bad cruise on RCL.....and Serenade is definitely my favorite ship to date so Sunny Bunny's post really floored me!!!!!

I believe it was in this month's Wine Spectator that the new "in" thing is to bring your own wine glasses. One of the readers blasted WS for including a restaurant on their top "whatever" list because they had inferior wine glasses. WS said to bring you own. Apparently, it is getting to be an accepted practice to BYOWG's.

That way, you'll never find yourself drinking Burgundy from a Chardonnay glass...pew, pew!

I found SunnyBunny's phraseology to be unfortunate, because she does come across as a snob with little tolerance for hoi polloi. That being said, however, she was spot on in the rating of the food & accomodations relative to what patrons of certain levels of restaurants would prefer. Also, it seems like she had a good time in spite of having to drink red wine out of white wine glasses (and I think she could have asked her headwaiter to get some good ones, nicely of course) and having to watch other people eat too much (although I think taking an entire display of tea bags probably qualifies as stocking your home pantry - who drinks that much tea in a week???).

I like my 5-star restaurants and my lunches at the California Club (at somebody else's expense, naturally, since I don't qualify to be a member), but I can gorge with the best of them!

I haven't been on Serenade, but have been on Radiance, her sister ship. During the wine tasting, we just got some extra water & another wine glass. We rinsed between tastings. I found that all I had to do was ask nicely with a smile & I got pretty much everything I wanted. Except a table for 2. There were 4 of them in the entire dining room (yes, we went around & counted) and all of them were spoken for. We had a table for 10 and had the best tablemates ever, so it worked out quite well. The food was unremarkable, but tasty, plentiful and served with a smile.

That way, you'll never find yourself drinking Burgundy from a Chardonnay glass...pew, pew!

I'm not a big wine person so If some one can help me out on this question, what type of wine glass should I use for a bottle of Boonsfarm Strawberry hill wine that costs $2.95

I'm not a big wine person so If some one can help me out on this question, what type of wine glass should I use for a bottle of Boonsfarm Strawberry hill wine that costs $2.95

LOL. Do you actually use a glass for that stuff? What about a brown bag and a straw?:) Other than that, I guess it doesn't really matter ... whatever you can find.

Responding to TahoeBob:

I re-read the original post. I do not read anything negative, rude or anything else in the words or tone, but I do note frustration and embarassment. I am not offended by the post, nor do I get the impression that Sunny Bunny is talking down to anyone. Her post was factual mixed with emotion. I have seen it before.

I observe a trend across many boards, that individuals try to impose political correctness on any poster who asks/requests that high standards of dress, personal conduct, food, service be provided (particularly where the cruise line advertises this type of product) ie these people are the excusers of wild children and adult behavior, jeans on formal night, declining food standards. These people "paint" the posters as snobs (ie see the emails on this thread). I see this in the tone of many of the posters on THIS and other threads.

Sunny Bunny made a poor business decision.

Posters should learn to cope with people who have very different opinions, and make their first response one of analysis using facts, not emotions.

ABoatNerd

I am alas guilty of the same thing...I was swayed by my travel agent to use Royal Caribbean for my first cruise and I was quite let down..not to the same extent as Sunny Bunny,I had no issues with the wine glasses or the food, but just to give you an example I was booked in a Junior Suite 7650, aft, where the bed skirt had holes your arms could fit through and the balcony was littered with cigarette butts! The ship is showing serious signs of age, BUT the service was great. The question is, will I ever cruise again? Maybe, with Royal Caribbean? Maybe not.

Although she has probably been flamed to the point of no return...I want to thank her for the post.

We have been considering trying RCI out next year... (Caribbean Princess this Saturday 11/13!) After viewing the responses to this post, I think I will stay away, not because of Sunny Bunny's experience, but because I now fear that the posters on this thread are a good representation of the typical RCI cruiser - Rude.

By the way, the shape of wine glasses are tailored to the grape variety and each type of glass highlights the varieties particular flavors by directing where the wine first hits the tongue. Different glasses also expose a larger surface area of the wine to oxygen which releases the aroma. Varieties as follows: Cardonnay, Chablis, Sauvignon Blanc, Champagne Cuvee, Burgandy, Bordeaux, Port etc... It does make a difference. There, I have now done my duty to educate the masses.

Gary

I too would like to thank her for her post. I just recently switched from a Celebrity cruise to the Serenade in February because of the itinerary. I have sailed on Celebrity and since price is about equal, I am surprised that many are having a problem with posters comparing the quality of the food (and in some cases service.) I truly hope others will still post their thoughts no matter if they are good or bad and tell the truth as they see it about their individual experiences. I still look forward to my cruise and I, like Sunny Bunny will have to weigh all factors of my experience in my future decisions on what cruise line to sail!

[quote name='gfromftlaud']Although she has probably been flamed to the point of no return...I want to thank her for the post.

We have been considering trying RCI out next year... (Caribbean Princess this Saturday 11/13!) After viewing the responses to this post, I think I will stay away, not because of Sunny Bunny's experience, but because I now fear that the posters on this thread are a good representation of the typical RCI cruiser - Rude.

By the way, the shape of wine glasses are tailored to the grape variety and each type of glass highlights the varieties particular flavors by directing where the wine first hits the tongue. Different glasses also expose a larger surface area of the wine to oxygen which releases the aroma. Varieties as follows: Cardonnay, Chablis, Sauvignon Blanc, Champagne Cuvee, Burgandy, Bordeaux, Port etc... It does make a difference. There, I have now done my duty to educate the masses.

Gary[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information regarding wine glasses Gary. I honestly had never heard this before, but I am not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination.

My question still stands though, why would honeybunny expect RCCL to provide this type of high end service? Is this such common practice that you would find most any restaurant at home to have proper wine glass etiquette?? I think only higher end cruise lines, maybe restaurants, (which charge quite a bit more) would be up to par with standards such as sunny bunny's. Maybe??

MTS

[quote name='cwallen']I truly hope others will still post their thoughts no matter if they are good or bad and tell the truth as they see it about their individual experiences. I still look forward to my cruise and I, like Sunny Bunny will have to weigh all factors of my experience in my future decisions on what cruise line to sail![/QUOTE]
Curt, I agree with you. I value all of the posts. What I don't value is the tone of some of those posts, and that was my issue with Sunny's comments.

Gary, speaking as one of "the masses," I hope you have a wonderful cruise on Princess. I have family and friends who work for Princess (they're headquartered in Santa Clarita) and I could have gotten a hefty discount on Sapphire to Alaska. I chose Serenade after talking to some of those same friends about their own experiences on Princess, and of course after reading everything I could find on these boards. Overall, the reviews on Princess were not that great whereas Serenade received glowing reviews (regarding the things I feel are important: cleanliness, crew, activities for kids, itinerary) from most posters. I'm not really too concerned about wine glasses. If I decide to splurge on a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or champagne, I'll saunter on over to the Champagne Bar, as one of the other posters suggested and leave it to the bartender to chose the right glass.:)

MTS

Even though Sunny Bunny's expectations weren't met, at least, she she states she enjoyed the cruise.

Expectations develop differently for everyone. The vast majority of restaurants in South Florida have different glasses for different varietals. I would expect at the very least different glass for White and Reds. But I would still survive as did Sunny Bunny.

Another interesting thing about wine....the price makes no difference. Some of the best wines produced are very inexpensive!

Have a great day,
Gary

[quote name='gfromftlaud']MTS

Even though Sunny Bunny's expectations weren't met, at least, she she states she enjoyed the cruise.

Expectations develop differently for everyone. The vast majority of restaurants in South Florida have different glasses for different varietals. I would expect at the very least different glass for White and Reds. But I would still survive as did Sunny Bunny.

Another interesting thing about wine....the price makes no difference. Some of the best wines produced are very inexpensive!

Have a great day,
Gary[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Gary!

All very interesting in regards to Wine. I think I may have to educate myself further on the subject. I enjoy a glass of wine now and then, and might even more so, If I learn a bit more about those grapes. ;-)

MTS

[quote name='gfromftlaud']We will probably still try RCI one Day! We have cruised on Carnival and enjoyed that too...Carnival Victory 2001.

Hopefully Princess will be a good experience...at least I wont be at work!

have a great night.

Gary[/QUOTE]

I tried Princess for the first time this past May to Alaska. (Diamond Princess) It was a very nice experience, and had a beautiful large suite in the aft location. I would certainly sail them again, but I definately prefer RCCL. Just a bit better in my opinion when it comes to food and atomosphere.

You should definately try RCCL sometime if the opportunity presents itself. The Radiance class of ships look to be very, very beautiful. ;-)

MTS

[quote name='sgttami']My only cruise on Celebrity was on the Century in 1996. It was a PBA charter from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Maarten...I would hardly call cruising with 1000+ drunk cops for seven days an "elegant experience."

Other than having larger cabins than RCL nothing about the ship itself impressed me and I never gave cruising on Celebrity another chance.

Never had a bad cruise on RCL.....and Serenade is definitely my favorite ship to date so Sunny Bunny's post really floored me!!!!![/QUOTE]
Nice try taking shot at Celebrity (specially Century).

We all know that Century is a "Fun ship" with party crowd...;) that is why they call it "elegant experience" .

[quote name='gfromftlaud']We will probably still try RCI one Day! We have cruised on Carnival and enjoyed that too...Carnival Victory 2001.

Hopefully Princess will be a good experience...at least I wont be at work!

have a great night.

Gary[/QUOTE]
You're very welcome. I'm sure you WILL have a good experience on Princess, because like any experience, it will be what you make of it. If you're fortunate to have calm seas and congenial cruisemates, then the rest will take care of itself. I'm glad you'll still consider RCI. As MTS said, the Radiance ships look very beautiful and I can't wait until next June! I will make sure to post a review, although I warn you it will include my son's thoughts on self-leveling pool tables, mini-golf, and how much can be loaded onto one buffet plate.;)

And you're right: you'll be on vacation, so what could be bad?

You have a nice night also...I'm off to watch another baseball game.:)

Laurie

Archived