My OPINION of RCCL Serenade of the Seas 10/30 - 11/6

We sailed on the Serenade on Sept. 26 to Hawaii and found everything quite enjoyable. We knew what to expect and were not surprised at all by the food. I’ve had the pleasure of dining at each of the restaurants that Sunny Bunny listed from the top to the bottom and always seemed to find something I enjoyed (same as on the ship). I don’t know how much you paid for your cruise, but last time I was at the French Laundry my bill was pretty close to what I paid for 11-days on the ship. So I certainly would not expect the same food and service as at a top restaurant. Anyway, no one in our group is a member of the food police so we didn’t care what other people put on their plates and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely. The only slight complaint was we felt a little rushed as there was not enough time between courses.

By the way, I brought 3 bottles of vintage wine on board and all 3 bottles were decanted by the head waiter without me requesting the service. I guess he knew what fine wine is…

It is people like Ms. Sunny Bunny that ruin cruises for everyone. I am sorry that you thought everyone on your sailing was beneath you. I am part of a "dink" couple myself,but don't feel the need to brag and find fault with others. I hope I am never on a cruise with you!!

[quote name='sgttami']My only cruise on Celebrity was on the Century in 1996. It was a PBA charter from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Maarten...I would hardly call cruising with 1000+ drunk cops for seven days an "elegant experience."

Other than having larger cabins than RCL nothing about the ship itself impressed me and I never gave cruising on Celebrity another chance.

Never had a bad cruise on RCL.....and Serenade is definitely my favorite ship to date so Sunny Bunny's post really floored me!!!!![/QUOTE]

Are you confusing Century with a Carnival ship??? I was never aware that Century was billed as a fun ship on Celebrity... I certainly wasn't badmouthing Celebrity..just trying to state to sunny bunny, who sounded quite uppity, that if he/she had been on that particular cruise in '96, they probably would have been horrified....I, on the other hand, had a blast but as far as the ship itself, it just did nothing for me....I also have been to restaurants where dinner for 4 was more than what some people pay for a cruise for a week ( I paid) and I can still drink Boone's Farm from a paper bag if the occasion arises.

Don't know if you were kidding...or maybe you were on the drunk cop cruise in '96....?????????/

Just re-read part of the original post...I've never been to Arby's, Boston Market or Wendy's. I've been to Outback, once in NJ, once in FL. OK..decent food. I worked with a friend who called Olive Garden.."upscale" and went there and in my opinion it was one step above fast food. I've been to the Waldorf Astoria in NYC where dinner cost more than a months' mortgage and had been raved about and I left hungry and wanted to know where the closest deli or McDonald's was. A 4 oz glass of wine ( I swear it was the stuff in the box) was $12.00. One of the best dinners I've ever had in my life, to this day was in a "dump" in Barbados for about $7.00 a person. They even threw in unlimited rum drinks...for free.

I've paid $250.00 a ticket to see headliner celebrities and almost as much for Broadway shows....that were a disappointment. Saw the Grass Roots and Drifters on the last 3 cruises for free and they were great. Actually saw the Drifters in Sept '03 on Serenade and again on Radiance in March '04 and they remembered me from Sept and we spent some time with them on the March cruise. They liked to hang out at the pool bar...and they were fun. The comedians are always good...

In some aspects, I can agree with Sunny Bunnys postings. What is gourmet to some...is garbage to others.....

I have to disagree, GucciGal. The net-impact on the cruising experience from excessive criticism is more likley to be positive, since people either believe it at face-value, and are pleasantly surprised by the actual product, or they treat it as skeptically as most people have indicated in this thread, and thereby keep the comments in perspective. The negative impact that could stem from such messages are those on the cruise line that is so badly mischaracterized, and the online forum which is prompted to the brink of conflict regarding something as idiotic as "class."

Let me say that I am an RCL supporter, have 12 cruises on various ships in the line of which I prefer the Radiance of the Seas hands down for many reasons. Hubby and I just completed the 12 day Hawaii to Ensenada cruise on the Serenade. I also, much like Sunnybunny was not happy with the Serenade. Though it is newer than the Radiance I thought it lacked in spirit and attention to detail compared to the Radiance. The Captain was almost non-existant, not a people person and I think his attitude was mirrored by the crew. They all did their required jobs, barely, nothing special. Our waiter and busboy as well as our cabin steward did their jobs well but never seemed to go the extra mile in any way shape or form. The menus created by the Chef for the main dining room I felt were an uninspired mix of things that did not go well together. The food was good but not great. I will continue to cruise on RCL, I love the line and will try the Jewel of the Seas and also the Enchantment after she is stretched next year. However, I am sure we will return to the Radiance of the Seas as it seems to be "our" ship of choice.

Remember, everyone is looking for something different when they take a cruise. The important thing is to keep cruising until you find it!

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Good Grief People!!!![/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]All that's needed next are a cross and nails. Talk about absolute snobbery, you folks take the cake. Sunnybunny writes a very well thought out review, using comparisons that make complete sense and you blast the cr*p out of her. IMHO, you all should write an appology to her. I feel that her review was completely honest, and not only applies to the Serenade many RCI ships. We had the exact same dining, and entertainment experiences on the Brilliance in March and my review afterword was, although not as well written, a carbon copy of Sunnybunny's. I for one am completely disappointed in the reactions of all you RCI loyalists. I saw no where in the review any indications that RCI patrons were below her, but it is very apparent that, judging by the lynch crowd that replied, you are indeed several steps down on the food chain. [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Sunnybunny, thank you for your excellent review, we'll have to sail together sometime, but certainly not on any ship with this type of loyalist cadre. I hope that we will have the opportunity to meet on a Celebrity Cruise soon. As for the RCI fan club, I hope you all enjoy your bland little mediocre lives together. I also hope you're happy with your heads stuck in the sand. Some of you really make me sick![/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]

I have to agree Stretch - and no head swelling allowed. ;) I read the original post and did not find it offensive at all. She simply stated her opinions and then gave background to explain/clarify her thoughts so each person reading the review could evaluate whether the opinions would make a difference as they made their cruise plans.

I don't know why it would bother anyone that dining and wine service/selection would be an important part of her cruising experience. If I am an avid diver (for example) would I be classified as a "snob" if I were slightly disappointed with the diving conditions on a particular excursion?

We all have particular things that are more or less important to us on a vacation. And it is the sharing of these experiences that can help us all be more informed consumers and make choices that will be best for us. I, personally, have much more problem with people who just list complaints without giving any background to help me place the complaints in context. With this review, I could decide whether my tastes (literally or figuratively :D) would likely concur with hers or not.

So I give the review 4 stars......... :)

It was an informative review but I do not believe that you need to categorize people by the types of things they enjoy (or can afford). I do think that it could have been written in a less demeaning way. I'm sure the intention was not to offend anyone but when you make mass judgements and comparisons you are bound to hurt some feelings.

I like to see different people's points of view and their thoughts. It often amazes me that 2 people can be on the same cruise and one can hate it and the other love it. But that is why there is so much choice in the world, everyone can find something they love. Perhaps SunnyBunny would be happier on another cruise line, one that caters more to her lifestyle and the things she enjoys. Everyone needs to try things at least once to find out if it is for them.

I am not sure that the OP can be accused of necessarily catagorizing people. She catagorized the type resturants they like but did not make judgements on them as people based on their likes or dislikes. And again, I find that helpful when evaluating whether I might find my experiences the same as hers or not. Why would anyone be offended because they like to eat at Olive Garden? The fact that she prefers something different on occasion is just a personal preference of hers. Where is the snobbery?

Again, for example, if I were evaluating - say - a golf course for someone. A blanket "it is good" or "it was bad" might not be helpful. But if I were to say, "for a beginner golfer or once a month casual player this would be a good course but the more serious golfer might find it a bit unchallenging" that would be more helpful for someone wanting to know about the course. And it wouldn't be "snobby" of me for stating that the beginner or casual player would find it OK, but not an expert. IMHO.

[quote name='Sunny Bunny']

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Cuisine (Rating - 5): The food in ALL VENUES (Windjammer, Seaview Café, Reflections Dining Room - including Chops and Portifino’s) in my opinion is mediocre at best. [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3] Prime example – Royal Caribbean uses “universal” wine glasses. Therefore we drank a variety of different wines throughout the cruise out of a white wine glass. [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3] Every meal we received was lukewarm, NEVER HOT. Rolls/bread was served each evening for dinner and each evening they were cold, hard or stale. [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3] Menu selections were odd, for appetizers one evening there was a choice of Watermelon Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup, Spring Rolls and Citrus Salad followed by a Main Course selections that included a Thanksgiving-like Turkey Dinner or NY Strip. [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3] If I had to choose a few highlights I would say – Oatmeal Raisin and Ranger Cookies, made-to-order Omelets, Smoked Citrus Salmon and soft serve ice cream. [/size][/font]

[/QUOTE]
[color=darkolivegreen]LOL @ everyone getting so bent out of shape over your post. The following quotes I highlighted were the ones I most agreed with. I noticed the wine glass thing as well but shrugged it off. Most of the meals were hit and misses..but eventually I was able to find something on a menu to my liking. As this was my first cruise..i didn't come with the grand expectation to experience world class dining.[/color]
[color=#556b2f][/color]
[color=#556b2f]my suggestion - when out on port - visit some of the local restaurants and try some of FRESH meals, fruits and drinks the Carribean has to offer!!! You'll enjoy it more!!!!:)[/color]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Hi ya Catnip! [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_VNxdm82446US"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_21.gif[/img][/url] [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Good to see you around again. Where and when is your X cruise??[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]We can hardly wait to get to Alaska, I've never been but my DW lived there for 6 years back before we met. Really looking forward to hopefully getting some really fresh king salmon, not the chum that's usually served in restaurants around here.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=sienna]Proud future member of the X-snobs and wouldn't have it any other way![/color][/size][/font][/i]

Thanks Sunny bunny for your well written review! I enjoyed your honest comparisons and thought your rating scale was on the money! one of these days I will find the time to do a southern carribean! i appreciate you taking the time to share your review!

Thank you for your well-thought out review Sunny Bunny.

I'm rather dismayed at the intolerant and downright rude tone many RCI regulars have shown in this thread. You said at the outset that these are your own opinions but some seem unable or unwilling to accept that.

No one can make another feel low class unless they themselves allow it. :rolleyes:

Beth

OH heck, I'll join in the fun!!

I was nodding my head in agreement the entire time I was reading the review.

Thanks for posting it. I think it will be really helpful to people who like yourself appreciate a properly served bottle of wine, and a thoughtfully prepared meal. You clearly outlined for everyone that if 5 star service is your cup of tea, you will NOT be getting it on this cruise line.

And whoever posted about the HORRIBLE way they do the wine tastings on RCCL, I send along a hearty "WooooWHoooo!!!" If you don't like what they give you, there isn't any place to dump it, and they don't give you a 2nd glass. We had to ask a waiter for a water glass and kept dumping out our remnants. At one point they served us a Shiraz (I didn't like it) and then followed it with a Vognier...in the SAME GLASS!!! Think of it like brushing your teeth and then drinking orange juice.

Beth, I couldn't agree with you more! Never did the OP say her tastes were better than anyone else's or that she looked down on anyone who was not into fine wines etc. One has to question the self confidence of some CC's. :D

I am NOT a wine expert. I enjoy my relatively cheep glass of White Zin and wouldn't/couldn't appreciate a $250 or whatever bottle of wine. But I take no offense from anyone who is knowledgable or appreciating of the "good" stuff. However, really expensive, fresh, well prepared seafood versus Long John Silver's - now that I know and appreciate! But I don't feel that either makes me better or less than anyone else. And I don't spend my time anticipating that someone else is looking down their nose at me.

Stretch,
I, too, am looking forward to my X cruise. It's 4/1-11 on the Summit. YIPEE! I can't wait. :D Even though I enjoyed the last 2 years on Brilliance, I was ready for a change.
After our cruise, can I be an "X snob" like you? Hey, we can even start our own club! :eek:

If you only found Celebrity "satisfactory" why ever did you decide to cruise on RC? It should have been obvious from these boards that RC wasn't going to provide you with the high end gourmet experience you were expecting. I don't even know if the luxury lines like Radisson, SilverSea etc would have met your expectations. FYI, before you dismiss my comment as coming from some yokel so you can ignore it, like you, my husband and I are DINKS (in our early 30s though) live in a major metropolitan area and certainly understand that there are retaurants out there that are way better than Chilis and Outback. Why don't you go home to your Reidel stemware and let the rest of us enjoy our vacation without your bashing it.

Good review, Sunny Bunny.

I do think you probably are not the person that RCI is marketed towards, and I would recommend Crystal, Seabourn, Cunard, Radisson if food is the key objective of your cruise. While I love 5* dining, and I eat out a lot, and I seek out high end dinner oppurtunities, I do not have to have 5* dining. I go on a cruise to go on a vacation that provides me with an oppurtunity to experience new places. My wife and I are DINKS as well and we do very well, financially, but I am choosy where I spend my money. I book an inside cabin and not a suite, because I would rather spend the money on nice jewelry for the wife, or the freedom to take a helicopter ride, or eat lunch or dinner in port at a fine restaurant even though the meal might be free back a the ship. It is for this reason I still consider RCI to be my home cruiseline. I would love the food on Seabourn, but not for the $4000 a week difference. As far as wine glasses go. I have nice Reidel glasses at home in 4 different shapes. They are my daily wine glasses, so I do understand the importance of the shape and I like the feel of Reidel glasses in my hand. However, I can't tell you how many wonderful old restaurants that I have had 3 digit bottles of wine at the served in standard wine glasses. I think that worry about the shape of your wine glass at dinner is a waste of mental energy. I agree with you completely about the windjammer, and I only eat there when we are eating breakfast before going ashore in port. Otherwise I always eat in the dining room or room service for breakfast, and on sea days always do lunch in the dining room. I don't like buffets. Considering that most people that go to a buffet do so at a Shoney's, I think that the buffet on RCI is much better than that, especially with the omelet stations, etc. People are often pigs in the buffet, but that really doesn't affect me in anyway, I just shake my head and move on. Again, I really liked the way you tried to break it down, and I think you did a pretty accurate job of it. IMHO.

jc

[quote name='Catnip']Stretch,
I, too, am looking forward to my X cruise. It's 4/1-11 on the Summit. YIPEE! I can't wait. :D Even though I enjoyed the last 2 years on Brilliance, I was ready for a change.
After our cruise, can I be an "X snob" like you? Hey, we can even start our own club! :eek:[/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]We'll have to get shirts, embroidered ofcourse, no printing allowed. [/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]I see where several posters take issue with the proper way of serving wine. Although the RCI wine cellar is sadly lacking in both variety and quality, it does make a difference what type of glass it is served in and many wines are just not drinkable if not properly decanted. It is all part of the dining experience. I for one am not partial to swilling a cheap Gallo wine out of an iced tea glass while attending a formal dinner. If I'm going through the trouble of getting into tux and my DW dressing to the nines, I certainly have the right to expect a meal that is well prepared, served appropriatly and at a edible temperature. If that makes me or the OP a snob, thank you! I prefer to think of it as being somewhat refined. I think I'll like Celebrity just fine, and if disappointed with them, I'll move on and try another line.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Did I ever mention that I love this job??[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_100.gif[/img][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000] [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]

I know I'm getting a bit off topic here...but don't you just HATE when you go someplace and get wine in plastic "cocktail" glasses? Ewwwwww.....

I see it so much at larger social functions like fundraisers and such. I was at a Cancer Society event last year. I think it was about $150 a plate. Not expensive, but not Denny's. Anyway....I went to get a class of wine from the portable bar, and it was in plastic. Just not right.

!. They look like crap
2. The edges are always sharp
3. Ewwww......
4. You get fingerprints all over the cup
5. It's just wrong.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but on the Enchantment last year, at the Captain's cocktail party..the "free" drinks were in plastic also...

Archived