PLease sir, may I have some more?

lodewyk

Right, so this will be my first cruise in January 2009. Looking forward to it immensely, I have lurked here for the better part of a month getting tips and advice on how to have the best cruise experience imaginable! I am confident that the great advice on this board has helped me a great deal in my preparation.

However, one question that I seem not to know the answer to is this one: in the dining room, when and how do I ask for more, a la Oliver Twist? Say, for example, I like the look of two appetizers, say the wild salmon and the spring rolls, would it be acceptable to order both at the same time, or would I first finish one and then order another? What about entrees and desserts?

I understand that it is not a buffet (and never should become like one), but sometimes one feels in the mood for more than one serving of a particular course, wouldn't you agree?!

If you truly anticipate wanting more than one, say two different appetizers (which happens all the time) it is best to order these when you place your order as it cuts down on the work for the waitstaff.

Between husand and I we usually ordered 3 of each course, one for each of us and one to share.

Also if there is a pasta that you want to try, but don't want a huge serving you can request an appetizer portion.

Enjoy your cruise.

No problem at all, just ask the waiter. On our last cruise I liked the look of two of the main courses, asked the waiter if I could have both and once I had finished the first he was waiting with the second.

You don't have to finish one before you start the other. Ask your waiter to combine them, since you most likely won't be wanting the additional potatoes or rice or veggies that will be coming with the 2nd entree.

You don't have to finish one before you start the other. Ask your waiter to combine them, since you most likely won't be wanting the additional potatoes or rice or veggies that will be coming with the 2nd entree.

Has that request for a combination plate worked for you? When I tried it they agreed to my request but brought 2 full plates anyway.

I think the answer for the OP is you can do this any way you want. If you know in advance, by all means order everything you want and this will make it easier for the waiter to coordinate this. But don't hesitate to speak up if you decide while eating that you would like another portion, or don't care for what you ordered, or that someone else's choice looks so good you would like to try it. By the way, I heartily endorse asking for a small portion of the pasta as one of your courses, we often do this and Princess is well known for their pasta. The fettuchine alfredo is delicious and is available every night!

Has that request for a combination plate worked for you? When I tried it they agreed to my request but brought 2 full plates anyway.

They most likely have to pick up two full orders in the kitchen, but they separate them at their station before bringing the plate to the table.

I have been on several cruises and have ordered double of anything I wanted without any problems! The crew is so accomodating and they really don't have any issues with getting you more.

I've ordered double desserts when there was more than one chocolate item on the menu. I've also ordered more than one entree if the entree I got wasn't filling. I find my caloric intake on a cruise goes up because I'm far more active then when I'm back here at work. :)

Order away and enjoy it! :D

I have been on several cruises and have ordered double of anything I wanted without any problems! :D

A gentleman at our table on our spring cruise had two of every single course! He probably didn't gain an ounce though, because I got the impression that this was normal for him. :D

On our last cruise one of our table mates LOVED desserts. As a joke, every one at the table ordered an extra desert to be delivered to her! Yup, made for great pictures and not one wasted desert.....we all pitched in to help eat them. Just a story to let you know the wait staff will get you what you want (within reason:))!!!!!!!!!

If you know you want two separate appetizers, or entrees you should order them at the same time. Reason is because the kitchen sets up appetizers first and then the entrees If you order a second appetizer after the fact, your waiter may have difficulty obtaining one because they will no longer be on the shelves where they pick up food - it will have then switched to entrees. So if you know you are going to want two of anything or two separate dishes - order up front:)

A gentleman at our table on our spring cruise had two of every single course! He probably didn't gain an ounce though, because I got the impression that this was normal for him. :D

It is very normal for me to eat double entrees because I find there is not enough food. Most of the time I get jabs from the waitstaff of where I put all of it. I tell them I have hollow leg. :D

I know that I have been cruising too much because I went to a restaurant on land this past weekend and couldn't decide between two (actually 4) of the appetizers.

I was going to order at least 2 of them and then I remembered that I had to PAY for each one if I did! :D

We always have that problem after returning from a cruise and going to a restaurant. Find myself reminding DH before we enter the restaurant that he only gets to order ONE entry!:D:)

Because of the way the service works they prefer you order your entire order, two or more appetisers two or more entree's what ever at the same time. I doubt they would refuse if you ordered one then asked for another but they prefer it ordered together.

Last week on the Sapphire I did not have any problem ordering two shrimp cocktails every night. But when I asked about ordering an extra entree on crab legs night I was told I would have to get the one then I could order another if I wanted. They wouldn't let me do two at once.

Though DW ordered an entree with a side order of crablegs no problem...:rolleyes:

You'll often fine that the serving size of the vegetables on a main course plates are rather skimpy. I really think they just put them on the plate for decorations & aren't meant to be consumed by normal individuals unless you're on a strict diet.

I have ordered multiple entrees, aps or desserts many times...they have never had an issue with it and have always been very creative with it. Last sept I loved the Scallop Rissoto that was served as a small app...I especially liked the Scallops and when the wiater over heard this he brought a large plate of only scallops

I plead guilty. I have been known, with astonishing regularity, to order two steaks at dinner, but with only one serving of the garnishments. That saves me room for two desserts. Of course, my missus then demands that I spend an hour or so in the gym the next morning. But it's worth it.

Archived