Housing for Olympus 1030

dot73

I am also posting this on the photo forum, but I thought I'd try my question here also. I own an Olympus 1030 camera which I have used for snorkelling (good for up to 33 feet). Now that I am learning how to dive, I am thinking of buying the housing, which goes for about $200 U.S. Has anyone had experience with this housing? Is it easy to use, etc. Thank you.

I have an Olympus housing for a different Olympus digital camera. It is wonderful! It is built just like the camera, knobs & dials are just as they are on your camera but bulkier.

Few suggestions:

#1-Make sure you test the housing BEFORE you put your camera in

#2-Use it before you get in the water.....SAFETY comes first BEFORE your taking pictures

#3-Get a clip for your camera so you do not have to worry about losing it.

Thank you for your reply. When I first bought my Olympus, I took it into a pool a couple of times to make sure it didn't leak. I also threw it around a bit just to make sure it lived up to its claims. That thing is indestructible.

The fist time I used it on a Discover Scuba course, I was accidentally pushed by another diver into a rock and hit it with the camera. A nice scratch and a little dent, but the camera keeps on working. I bought one of those floatable attachments so that if I drop the camera, it will float back up. That thing is priceless. I won't be taking the camera for the first couple of open water dives so that I concentrate on getting comfortable with diving. It has been great for snorkelling.

I'm going to suggest the following clip instead of the floatable attachment. It is a little annoying when you are diving to have something on you that is buoyant and always circling your head :) This way if you drop it, it won't float away, but stays attached.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure that you understand how to clean and prepare the o-ring on the housing. If that is incorrect, you can destroy your camera due to leakage & pressure.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks again for the suggestions. As a newbie to scuba, I appreciate learning things before I do something dumb and cost myself a lot of $$. I love the shopping website. If you think of any other knowledge you can impart on me, I'm always open to suggestions. My 2-week cruise starts on January 30 and if I can get myself certified in Florida before the cruise, I plan to dive at least three times. Even though there are apparently some fantastic places to dive in Ontario, I think I will stick to warm water for the time being.

to take a short movie while you are diving....just turn your camera on, let it go & don't worry about filming. It's a great way to give others who do not dive your perspective.

Also, my Olympus captures sound, & that is so cool for people to hear!!!

Shoot me any questions you want at my e-mail.

Archived