Tours in Athens

Has anyone been on a private tour in Athens in the last couple of months? Who did you use? And of course was your tour a good one? I tried to book with Paul (paul's taxi) and he is booked on the day I need so I guess I am looking for someone that is equally as good... He did offer his son...anyone used his son? Thanks for all the input, I want to cement our plans before the new year !

Tory

The voice of experience is really what you (in fact what we all) want to hear. However, after recommendations on this site and also trip advisor I booked Jordan for my trip next April. Whilst you are waiting for recommendations from travellers with experience you may want to check him out by searching on this board and also perhaps taking a look at his website.

http://www.athens-tours.gr/

Good luck. :)

Has anyone been on a private tour in Athens in the last couple of months? Who did you use? And of course was your tour a good one? I tried to book with Paul (paul's taxi) and he is booked on the day I need so I guess I am looking for someone that is equally as good... He did offer his son...anyone used his son? Thanks for all the input, I want to cement our plans before the new year !

Tory

We used Greektaxi but got Dimitri in late August, as he was booked, I don't recall if that was his son, but he was a young fellow, appeared in his late 20's early 30's?. He was great, lots of good historical facts and tidbits about Greece, taught us some Greek, highly recommended.

We arranged with Spyros Taxi after reading recommendations on the boards. He was not there when we got off of the ship as pre-arranged but we were a bit early. After waiting around, the head taxi guy offered to call him. He did and said that Spyros would pick us up shortly as he went to the wrong ship. Well, then John pulled up and said he was sent by Spyros and worked for him as Spyros was overbooked. We had booked with Spyros months in advance and had reconfirmed right before the cruise. We had a wonderful day with John. He was very knowledgeable and offered to extend our 5 hour tour for just a little extra, but we were tired. He even took us to a family neighborhood restaurant which was wonderful and accompanied us to a small grocery store to buy some Greek goodies to bring home. That night, we checked our email and there was an angry message from Spyros, wondering what had happened to us. He had waited for us at our ship and said that if we had paid he a deposit (we didn't), we would have lost it. We had John's card and sent him all of the info off of the card so that he could square it with John. We felt awful, but John did show us a wonderful day. Be careful with the taxi guys!

Paul's son is fine. I used him for an airport pick-up and return (I was semi-mobile at the time plus arm in a sling, so schlepping luggage on the airport bus or metro did not seem like a good idea) plus a trip to Sounion.

Always on-time, helpful, friendly and a GREAT raconteur.

We hired Jordan of Athens-Tours in April. He picked us up at airport. Next day took four of us on a city tour and to Cape Sounion to view the sunset. Following day drove us to the port on embarkation day. He is a very knowlegeable and careful driver. Speaks perfect English and is very flexible on scheduling. We highly recommend his services.

We arranged with Spyros Taxi after reading recommendations on the boards. He was not there when we got off of the ship as pre-arranged but we were a bit early. After waiting around, the head taxi guy offered to call him. He did and said that Spyros would pick us up shortly as he went to the wrong ship. Well, then John pulled up and said he was sent by Spyros and worked for him as Spyros was overbooked. We had booked with Spyros months in advance and had reconfirmed right before the cruise. We had a wonderful day with John. He was very knowledgeable and offered to extend our 5 hour tour for just a little extra, but we were tired. He even took us to a family neighborhood restaurant which was wonderful and accompanied us to a small grocery store to buy some Greek goodies to bring home. That night, we checked our email and there was an angry message from Spyros, wondering what had happened to us. He had waited for us at our ship and said that if we had paid he a deposit (we didn't), we would have lost it. We had John's card and sent him all of the info off of the card so that he could square it with John. We felt awful, but John did show us a wonderful day. Be careful with the taxi guys!

At the moment Greek taxi guys are the least trouble over there. :(

Another vote for Jordan http://www.athens-tours.gr/ ... we had a wonderful day of touring with him in October. He picked us up at the ship, took us on a tour of the Peloponnese Peninsula and dropped us off at our hotel in Athens at the end of the day. He was interesting, informative and fun ... it was obvious that he really enjoys what he does! He has been doing tours for over 20 years, and has owned his own business for quite a few years.

another vote for jordan. We had Soltus,his able assistant, and couldn't have been happier. Jordan was booked the time we were in Athens but came by to make sure our trip was going well. I would use his services again on my next trip to Athens.

Speaking of the situation in Athens, how are the cruise lines handling it? I understand that rioting is rampant and it's dangerous right now to walk around there. Are cruise ships still going to this port? Are they cancelling excursions? Just wondering.

Speaking of the situation in Athens, how are the cruise lines handling it? I understand that rioting is rampant and it's dangerous right now to walk around there. Are cruise ships still going to this port? Are they cancelling excursions? Just wondering.

I wondered that myself and had a look at the schedules for Piraeus ... not many ships stop at Piraeus at this time of year - although one is scheduled for Dec. 11th, which I imagine will be cancelled since the situation is still very much out of control.

The killing of the young person by police is tragic, but the protesters have gone completely overboard with their built up rage which they were waiting for an excuse to release. We've really enjoyed our visits to Athens (we were there for a second time at the end of October) and it saddens me to think of what the situation is like there now and all of the damage that has taken place. I hope that calm is restored very soon.

Archived