I know there is a Dr.on board,now i wish there was a DENTIST!!!!

BoPippy

i'm having palpitations and cold clammy palms just reading this thread. wizard-of-roz i can totally relate. i get an upset stomach just driving my child to the dentist. irrational i know, but if this happened on a cruise i'd be ill.

Think of how much more fun it would be to have your semi-annual cleanings on a cruise ship! That would guarantee cruising at least twice a year. That just might be the incentive that some people need for preventative dental care!:)

I cringed when I saw this thread. This is not a cruise related story but a travel related one.........

In 2007 was on a 19 night trip to Ireland and Italy with my folks. Went to Ireland first and had no dental problems. Flew to Rome and the day we landed I was eating lunch when one of my lower teeth developed a sharp pain. It got worse over the next few days and I ended up having a root canal in Florence!!! By a dentist that spoke very little English and whose office looked like it was right out of the 1970's! And he left the tooth completely open......didn't fill it. The pain was relieved but I had to irrigate the tooth and place cotton in it when I ate. Not fun!!!! Got home and eventually had the tooth extracted and now have a dental implant. I call it my "Italian Tooth Adventure"!!! During the months after the trip, I had 3 more root canals! Needless to say, I think about that everytime I travel. Didn't know the ships don't have dentists. HOPE this NEVER happens again and especially on a cruise! :eek::eek:

i'm having palpitations and cold clammy palms just reading this thread.....

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! I am terrified of dentists, but I know I MUST go!!!! :(

I have 43 days before I sail......after reading this thread, I think I'll schedule a dental check-up before I go!! :eek:

I had a dental emergency this past February on the Ruby Princess. The morning of the cruise, I woke up with an awful abcess and swollen face. Upon boarding, the ship's doctor put me on antibiotics and recommended a dentist on Grand Cayman. The ship made the arrangements, I met with the Port Agent (after priority disembarkment in Grand Cayman) who drove us to the dental clinic. Service was wonderful on all ends. Long story short, as soon as I got home, I had three teeth extracted, bone grafting, and I'm awaiting implants ($$$). Anyway, the ship had dentists at most ports that they do business with, for both the crew and passengers.

I had a dental emergency this past February on the Ruby Princess. The morning of the cruise, I woke up with an awful abcess and swollen face. Upon boarding, the ship's doctor put me on antibiotics and recommended a dentist on Grand Cayman. The ship made the arrangements, I met with the Port Agent (after priority disembarkment in Grand Cayman) who drove us to the dental clinic. Service was wonderful on all ends. Long story short, as soon as I got home, I had three teeth extracted, bone grafting, and I'm awaiting implants ($$$). Anyway, the ship had dentists at most ports that they do business with, for both the crew and passengers.

I only had one tooth extracted with a bone graft and implant. And that was mucho $$$$$$$$$$. I can't imagine 3!! :eek::eek::eek:

We are just off the Caribbean Princess and one of our dinner partners was a dentist from Missouri who had been asked to act as the dentist on one of their cruises. However, he was to be the dentist for the crew. He didn't take Princess up on the offer because he was required to bring all his own equipment and supplies and didn't want the hassle.

With 1500 crew members, as many as a small town, it's possible that dentists are sometimes provided; don't know if they would help passengers out also.

I am sure Princess offered him a free sailing in return for his services.

Guess he didn't mind paying for his cruise?

I can also understand why he refused -- Legal matters!

God forbid anything happened - whose liable.

Don't know if they still do, but HAL used to have Dentists on many of their sailings.

I believe that the main reason HAL sometimes had a dentist aboard was to provide treatment for the crew. If a problem came up with a passenger they could also be treated, but the primary mission for the dentist was to treat the crew. I've got a book on painting watercolors while traveling which is written by a dentist who is also an artist. He served numerous times on HAL ships and much of the material for his book came from his cruise ship dentistry trips.

I have had a crown fall out twice on cruises. The first time the port agent in Dubrovnik took us to a local dentist to have it fixed back in.

The second time the doctor on the ship stuck it back in. He had the "cement" and made not too bad a job of it.:eek:

Archived