Taking a purse to Pearl Harbor Memorial

cruisegirl

I've read you can't take purses or fanny packs to the Pearl Harbor Memorial but am sure uncomfortable about leaving my purse in the hotel room. Is there a place to check a purse? And if so, is that a secure thing to do? Or do I just stuff everything in my pockets?!!!

I usually wear shorts with pockets, and put my cell phone and camera in my pocket. I put my credit cards, id and cash in a ziploc bag in the other pocket. In my experience all over the world I have never had anything taken from a hotel room, and doubt very seriously that you would in Hawaii. However, your room may have a safe or you may be able to leave it in the hotel's main safe if it will make you feel...well...safer. :) Hope you enjoy your trip to Hawaii! Aloha...

There is a place to check your purse in an area near the US Bowfin which is right next door to the Arizona. However, I can't really say that's any safer than leaving it in the hotel room. There are safes in the hotel rooms (usually) as 808lady has mentioned. That might be your best bet.

Spleen

We just returned from our Hawaiian Cruise on the Serenade. We checked our fanny packs at the Bowfin with the Navy, it is just like a coat check area in a hotel. Always watched and you can only pick up something if you have the claim check. We did not carry excess funds, travellers checks or credit cards just in case. All in all I think you will be fine checking your items.

Hopefully you have suitcase that locks. Also some hotel rooms have safes in rooms...call your to find out.

I've went there last year. My adivce is to go as early as possible.

Also the battleship Missouri is docked there, go see it!!!

Norjud

Hopefully you have suitcase that locks. Also some hotel rooms have safes in rooms...call your to find out.

I've went there last year. My adivce is to go as early as possible.

Also the battleship Missouri is docked there, go see it!!!

Norjud

Thanks. I did check the hotel and they have safes in the rooms so looks like we are all set. We're booked on a 6:30 shuttle that morning to Pearl Harbor so hopefully we'll be there in plenty of time.

Unless it's an evening bag to dinner. It's actually quite liberating to not have something to hang onto all day. I just make sure whatever pants or shorts I'm wearing has pockets. You can take a credit card, lipstick, cash, just enough for the day. Men have the freedom of no purse, why not women, too? As a matter of fact, the reason I stopped carrying a purse most of the time was because my DH and kids were always making me carry their stuff in my purse.

Now, they have to carry whatever they accumulate themselves. If we do need to have a bag along, I make sure it is one (like a back pack or beach bag) DH won't mind carrying, so we can take turns with it.

Operational security following 9/11. All American icons such as the Arizona Memorial are considered vulnerable targets for terrorism.

We did the White House tour last week and they also do not allow purses. Or anything like backpacks, fanny-packs, etc to be brought in. And *every* building you visit will have dozens of security guards/police/secret service/military/etc etc. You will see *hundreds* of police cars parked or cruising around all major government buildings. DC is a fortress.

EL

Sure, cameras are welcome. Just no monster sized lenses. Here's my insider tip for photos. When you board the memorial, most people immediately stop and look over the sides because it is so interesting. I usually have my guests make a bee-line for the chapel in the rear to reflect and make photos. We usually have it to ourselves for the first few minutes. When the chapel starts getting full, then we exit and look over the sides, etc. Two of my favorite shots are looking up through the top of the memorial to take a photo of the flag flying, and leaning over to take photos of lei that have been dropped in the water. If you want to make such a tribute yourself you just have to ask the part service personnel. No lei for sale there, you have to bring your own. Of course, real flowers only, and no plastic bows. Hope this helps you all.

We are going on our first cruise in June. My husband and I saw the Memorial 10 years ago and now would like to take our two daughters (14 & 12). We have a very late flight home (9:00 or 10:00 pm). I would like to know if you think we have time to get off the Wind and go to the Memorial. How would we get there. Where would our bags go, I would hope just to the airport? Any suggestion on how to work this? We also arrive about noon is there time to check in on the Wind and then go visit? I'm trying to talk DH into a pre night stay just for the Memorial, not sure if he's going for it. Thanks!!

Dear Breeding--

I think you should come a day early! Tell hubby that the USS Missourri is here, now, too. With a double feature like that an extra day is warranted. Don't let him read the rest of this message. You probably have plenty of time after you disembark from your ship. Why don't you check with your cruise line. Some of the people sailing with me on the Infinity had their luggage taken from the ship directly to the airport for their late night flights. (That's what they told me, anyway. I assume it was there waiting for them!:) ) I think there might also be luggage storage at the pier. You might want to rent a car or possibly take the bus. It's not too far away. Someone else who is more familiar with the details should give you advice on the bus.

I would never check in to my ship and then go somewhere if I only had a few hours. Traffic in Honolulu can be very unpredictable. Earlier this month it took me over two hours to go about three miles. You don't want to be stressing on vacation! Just don't plan on cutting it close is my best advice.

I would check to see if the cruiseline has a tour the day of debarkation. I know some do and after the tour they drop you off at the airport. You could check your luggage and then take a cab to Waikiki or wherever else you want to go.

Thanks 808lady,

Some good tips. I usually carry both a still camera and a Video Camera. Can I also take Video? We will be in Honolulu the Saturday after Thanksgiving next year. I can only imagine that the Arizona Mem. will be very croweded that day with a long wait to go on the boat to the Mem. Any other tips.

I believe a video camera is fine. I don't know if the Memorial will be more crowded that day or not. Maybe it will because I assume it will be closed on Thanksgiving day so there might be two days worth of people wanting to see it. I have been on Memorial Day before, and while it was crowded they did a great job of managing everyone. I would never have gone on such a busy day, but I had been told that they would be having special lectures on specific topics on boats that only went past the memorial and did not stop. That was of interest to me because I have been so many times to the regular tour. (I got strangely popular when I moved to Hawaii. My personal best--5 times to the Arizona in one year.) However, when my mom and I got there, we were able to take the special tour, but there were also tickets available for the regular tour, so we did that, too. If you are ever here on the patriotic holidays or Pearl Harbor day, I would definitely recommend going then. Call ahead to see if you can put your name down for the special tours. (All free, of course.)

As for other tips, if you get there and they are out of tickets, or if your ticket is for a much later time, I have heard that you can go to the door to the theater and ask if you can go in on a space available basis. So if there are seats left after everyone else goes in, they will let you. I have not tried this, but it might work.

Also, everyone says go early. I always say go early, myself. However, I never go early. I have never gotten there before 10:00 a.m. and have always gotten a ticket. The only bad experience I have ever had there was one time we had waited an hour or so, and were told that the harbor master closed the harbor for small craft due to high winds. We would have been allowed to see the movie, but not board the boat to the memorial. I understand that is rare.

And my final tip to all is to consider giving a small donation. The memorial is a National Park, but donations help them preserve and display more of the artifacts that have been donated or recovered. You will be following in great footsteps. One of the earliest major donors to the memorial (before it became a national park) was...can you guess.....Elvis Presley! He held a charity concert in Hawaii to raise money, and he donated as well.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our wonderful state!

Just returned from Island Princess to Hawaii on the 20th. Checked our purses and were able to carry our wallets to the Memorial. We received receipts and didn't feel there was any chance our purses would be stolen. Have a great trip.

Archived