Zip-Line excursion with Windstar

tomstur

My wife and I are on the Windstar in Febuary. We have heard wonderful things about the zip lines in Costa Rica. The only port that Windstar offers the zip line excursion is Playa Del Coco. If you have done this one, please let me know how it was. Also, our other ports are San Juan Del Sur, Quepos, Bahia Paraiso, and Curu. Do any of these ports offer zip line opportunities? Because Windstar does not. Or if any of you know of a "must not miss" excursion, please let me know.

We did the Congo Canopy Zip Line in Jan. 2007 at Playa Del Coco, and it was a real hoot. The dusty 45-minute bus ride out was interesting, because we got an up-close and personal look at the REAL Costa Rica (all the windows and doors of the small concrete block homes are covered with security bars). The tour guide insisted there was no crime; the bars are just there "for support."

I've lived a fairly adventurous life, so the whole Zip Line thing seemed kind of basic. You wear a harness that clips onto the zip line. You slide down the line (various lengths...the longest about 20 seconds), then you wait in line for the next zip line. Everyone had to go through a "course" to learn how to sit in the harness. Everyone had to wear a helmet and thick, padded gloves. It seemed silly until you saw folks panic and do everything wrong. There was a lot of standing in line and waiting.

I felt like a tourist...which I was, of course. I just don't like THINKING of myself as a tourist. My wife had a wonderful time and said later it was one of the great adventures of her life. Whatever.

In Marenco, I went horseback riding in "the last frontier." In fact, the horses were tired old pack horses who ignored their riders and walked slowly nose-to-tail in a line, as they have done so many of thousands of times before. Yep, felt like a tourist. But at least I didn't have to wear a helmet.

We had a GREAT time on the ATV tour. It was rather expensive but we splurged on it. The nice part was there was only about 6 or 8 or us including the guide.. We were just racing along trails and roads and had alot of fun! We didn't feel much like tourists...

You can always book excursions without going through the boat. I would recommend stopping by any cheaper hotel or hostel during your arrival pre-stay period and seeing what's available in the ports you visit. The hostels and cheaper hotels will have more options available to you across the board... might be nice to get away from even your fellow cruise passengers for an afternoon and try something different! :) hell, the trip is 180 degrees.. ha

Thanks for the info. I was kind of afraid the horse excursions might be like that. Not sure if we will chance that one. See your from Gainsville.....GO GATORS! That's our team in my household. We were at the game in Atlanta. Great time!

Tix were given to me by one of my insurance companies. Could have sold them for $500 each outside the dome. Saw one of my buds from Ocala there. He owns the Harley stores in your area. Stayed at his place at Ocala Golf & Equestrian Club last year. Very NICE.

So, would you do the horseback ride if you had it to do again?

Because I live in horse country and have been around horses most of my life, I was insulted by the quality of the animals. But the area where we "rode" was truly stunning. Had I known what to expect, I would have taken a pass. But it was not a "bad" experience. And I suspect "most" folks would have enjoyed it. I rented horses once in the mountains of North Carolina. They had an arch about 50 feet away from the stables. You had to ride under the arch to reach the trails. It read: "By the time you reach this point, your horse knows how good a rider you are." The horses we rode in Marenco didn't care. They just looked at the tail in front of them.

• 1 month later...
We had a GREAT time on the ATV tour. It was rather expensive but we splurged on it. The nice part was there was only about 6 or 8 or us including the guide.. We were just racing along trails and roads and had alot of fun! We didn't feel much like tourists...

You can always book excursions without going through the boat. I would recommend stopping by any cheaper hotel or hostel during your arrival pre-stay period and seeing what's available in the ports you visit. The hostels and cheaper hotels will have more options available to you across the board... might be nice to get away from even your fellow cruise passengers for an afternoon and try something different! :) hell, the trip is 180 degrees.. ha

have posted here within this forum regarding tours but will repeat a bit for you.

horse tour on the beach is GREAT esp. if you like to run with a horse, tell the guide you are expereinced and he'll give you a strong horse, give him a nudge on the beach and off you go~! what fun~! the remainder of the ride is through rain-forest type scenery along narrow paths - nervous but fun and of course beautiful.

the ATV tour was EXCELLNET - really a great choice to pick this one early-on as it may sell out depending on the age average of your particular cruise; TONS of fun, you WILL get very dirty~!

use caution when booking off the ship, remember you are in a remote location, that's all i'm going to say about that, these are very very small towns, if something seriuos happens you will have a very expensive air-medivac bill.

not trying to scare you but we had some accidents back in 07 and it was not a convenient place to have such a accident.

so.

think ahead.

if you wanted to do some off-shore fishing, Quepos is the place, but the manuel antonio park is tops there, too.

some places you can do on your own, manuel antonio is one of the few.

horses you need the tour.

ATV you need the tour.

the zip line in Quepos is not offered in Quepos by the ship because their safety standards did not measure up to windstar standards, therefore the zipline in playa del coco is the only one offered and approved by windstar.

corcovado is NOT do-able on your own.

curu reserve is do-able on your own but you should know what to look for, read up on it.

the final day is a beach bbq and nice relaxing beach.

overall, a totally different experience than the caribbean.

more wild/nature atmosphere..... bring a good camera. and a lot of sunscreen. :-)

enjoy~!!

Thanks again for the info in both threads. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions. At Bahia Drake, there is a tour called Horseback Ride to the Last Frontier. The description does say part of this is on the beach. We are currently prebooked for the Corcovado National Park tour. Both good? I know you really liked the horses on the beach, but which one would you do? On day 3, we are in Nicaragua and prebooked for the Granada, Masaya Volcano & Craft Market tour. How do you feel about this one as well? And in regard to Quespos, it might be a good day to hang out and relax on the ship. My wife does not like ATV's. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks again for the info in both threads. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions. At Bahia Drake, there is a tour called Horseback Ride to the Last Frontier. The description does say part of this is on the beach. We are currently prebooked for the Corcovado National Park tour. Both good? I know you really liked the horses on the beach, but which one would you do? On day 3, we are in Nicaragua and prebooked for the Granada, Masaya Volcano & Craft Market tour. How do you feel about this one as well? And in regard to Quespos, it might be a good day to hang out and relax on the ship. My wife does not like ATV's. Thanks again for the info.

ok........ i'm going to assume they are now calling Bahia Paraiso with a new name, Bahia Drake, which refers to an even older name, Drake Passage or Drake Island I think, but I could be wrong, but it is also known as Marenco, referring to the resort on the island (that we don't even come near to...).

ANYWAY...........

the horseback at this point is through the *thin* forest and onto the beach, down narrow passes and then to a private beach, very very nice.

if you enjoy riding and following, no problem. if you tell you are good riders they will give you strong leading-type horses. Don't nudge them on the beach if you don't want them to run. they won't.

Corcovado is amazing, really, but wildlife is wildlife.... you will see what you can, but I've never heard a sob story after a visit to corcovado..... it's just a long day.

keep the tour of corcovado as the horse riding doesn't *usually* sell out, so if you change your mind on day one or day two, you may be able to switch. Watch the tour presentation.

If they operate the same as they did in -06/-07, they say they'll honor your wish to switch as long as there is a waiting list for the tour you are changing from.....

Realize that people tend to over-book and then *cancel* as the cruise goes on because they are tired or whatever.

Regarding Nicaragua stick with that because it is truly amazing, there is NOTHING to do in san juan del sur, but that's not why that is my answer, truly there is nothing to *do* in san juan del sur unless you don't mind the sight of poor children begging... and walking along filthy streets..... sorry that's what's there.... also the village is a fishing village and consists of mainly fisherman or ex-pats and their restaurants.... quiet but quite boring. dirty and such, it's a 3rd world country..

the volcanoes are sitting in the middle of a lake, quite unique, listen to the guide on the drive out there, the town of Grenada is Colonial and just nice, easy, so, yes, that is a good option. Also while it may seem like a long day, you are on and off a bus so it's *sort of* a broken up day. Bring a water bottle and also bring some pre-packaged snacks (granola bars, small packs of cookies that you get at 7-11, etc.) wear comfy and light-weight clothes, it's hot~!

in Quepos you tender to a concrete dock (the ship does not tie up) so you could do some on-your-own walking, this is the biggest *town* you will encounter, so there is a bit more *life* but it's not as quaint as playa del coco which i'd go back to in heartbeat... just a different vibe... Quepos is ... okay for on your own, i guess, walk around and see a few things, then go back to the ship, make it a spa day or a pool day if you have been out on tours the whole week....

enjoy~!

Archived