NCL Announces Summer 2010 Itineraries

NCL just announced its 2010 itineraries, which go on sale today for past NCL guests and Thursday for everyone else. What we found most interesting about this announcement is NCL is maintaining its three-ship presence in Europe (with all new-ish ships, to boot). While lines like Carnival are pulling out of Europe, NCL is introducing new Greek Isles and Turkey cruises on Norwegian Gem out of Venice -- a new homeport for NCL. Norwegian Jade will cruise the Mediterranean and Norwegian Jewel will explore Northern Europe. Let's hope that the economy picks up or airfares drop by then.

In Alaska, Norwegian Sun will offer a new Vancouver-Whittier itinerary featuring two new ports, Icy Strait Point and Sitka; Norwegian Pearl and Norwegian Star will continue to sail Alaska cruises in summer 2010. Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Spirit will sail seven-night cruises to Bermuda, and Pride of America will maintain its presence in Hawaii through January 2012.

Do you think NCL is smart to keep its newest ships in Europe? Are you excited about cruising some of these itineraries in 2010? Post your comments below -- we'd love to hear them.

Erica Silverstein

Cruise Critic Associate Editor

• Administrators

As my initial reaction, I think the best things in these itineraries I've seen are 1) that the POA will still be in Hawaii (sounds like NCLA is FINALLY making a profit, and cruising within the islands there is SUCH a wonderful option -- it's nice to think it will still be available), and 2) the new one way itineraries in Alaska. I love NCL but they never even blipped on my radar screen in looking at Alaska because we didn't want a round trip cruise on our first visit, and now we definitely don't as we are looking at cruise/land options.

NCL doing the Greek Isles and Turkey is pretty excited, hopefully it works out because that is somewhere I would love to cruise. As for the Alaska cruises it is good that there are some new ports but I am a little sad to see the end of the Round trip Vancouver trips. Although I am hoping to go on my first Alaska cruise this summer, the NCL round trips have always been a huge selling point for people living in and around Vancouver as the cost was less due to not having to pay airfare. I believe they were the last to offer it as the other lines have gone to the one way trip as well. Oh well, change is good and I am sure the extra in airfare will be worth the change. Of course there always is always Seattle round trips only a few hours away.

NCL doing the Greek Isles and Turkey is pretty excited, hopefully it works out because that is somewhere I would love to cruise. As for the Alaska cruises it is good that there are some new ports but I am a little sad to see the end of the Round trip Vancouver trips. Although I am hoping to go on my first Alaska cruise this summer, the NCL round trips have always been a huge selling point for people living in and around Vancouver as the cost was less due to not having to pay airfare. I believe they were the last to offer it as the other lines have gone to the one way trip as well. Oh well, change is good and I am sure the extra in airfare will be worth the change. Of course there always is always Seattle round trips only a few hours away.

I was on one of the early Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruises aboard Norwegian Jade, a 12-night Istanbul to Athens sailings. Got that overnight in Alexandria, which gave us a day and a half in Cairo to see the sites. Also hit Mykonos, Crete, Santorini, Corfu, Izmir (for Ephesus), and two others I was too ill to debark for. Tiring itinerary, but a good one, and a very international passenger mix onboard.

I'm thrilled! We've been spending hard to earn one more certificate on our BOA card by the end of the month. Really had hoped to get to go to Alaska. However, the last time we went was round trip and we really had hoped to go one way. I thought we would have to wait and go on another line. NCL has just been a great fit for us to travel with kids and the grandparents. Our first cruise together was on the Sun, which we loved! Now I'm even more motivated to get those dollars spent this month....(like I needed that!);)

I am a little disappointed to see NCL end the R/T Vancouver Alaska cruises, but then again I was sad when they dropped Wrangell as a port of call. Glad to see they are trying something different, though - I can't remember the last time NCL did a North/Southbound Alaska cruise...

Good for NCL for sticking it out in Europe when other lines are scaling back or pulling out; their loss could potentially be NCL's gain.

The possibility of B2B out of Venice for summer 2010 (alternating itineraries) just made the "where to go summer 2010" question easy to answer. :D

Sorry to see that there won't be another Norway or British Isles cruise but like the Venice options.

Wish there had been one-way Alaska options this year - just gives us an excuse to return if the one-way itineraries continue beyond 2010.

We just did the Jade on the Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Canary Islands route. It was wonderful and our first cruise in Europe. The international pax mix, along with seeing such different countries and cultures was the best.

We are now looking at Greece/Egypt in 2009 (since they don't seem to be sailing to Egypt in 2010 - hmmmm?) and maybe the Barcelona eastern med after that. And hopefully South America after that!!

We'll get back to USA-based cruising when we retire! For now it's "See the World"

NCL just announced its 2010 itineraries, which go on sale today for past NCL guests and Thursday for everyone else. What we found most interesting about this announcement is NCL is maintaining its three-ship presence in Europe (with all new-ish ships, to boot). While lines like Carnival are pulling out of Europe, NCL is introducing new Greek Isles and Turkey cruises on Norwegian Gem out of Venice -- a new homeport for NCL. Norwegian Jade will cruise the Mediterranean and Norwegian Jewel will explore Northern Europe. Let's hope that the economy picks up or airfares drop by then.

In Alaska, Norwegian Sun will offer a new Vancouver-Whittier itinerary featuring two new ports, Icy Strait Point and Sitka; Norwegian Pearl and Norwegian Star will continue to sail Alaska cruises in summer 2010. Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Spirit will sail seven-night cruises to Bermuda, and Pride of America will maintain its presence in Hawaii through January 2012.

Do you think NCL is smart to keep its newest ships in Europe? Are you excited about cruising some of these itineraries in 2010? Post your comments below -- we'd love to hear them.

Erica Silverstein

I don't find anything different on their website then what I was already seeing. I've been trying to book the Eastern Caribbean for Sept, Oct time frame and they don't go past April. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a place where past cruisers can go that nobody else can?

It looks like NCL is not going out of Philly or Charleston in 2010.Maybe somebody else has some different information.

That's right. As of now, NCL is not scheduled to offer cruises out of Philadelphia, Charleston and Baltimore in summer 2010. Norwegian Majesty, which is offering the ex-Philly and Charleston sailings, is leaving the fleet after the summer 2009 season. No replacement ship was named.

Erica Silverstein

I'd like to see the newer ships in our area. We are scheduled for the May 2009 Pearl LA to Van then Seattle Round trip Alaska.

We are now looking at Greece/Egypt in 2009 (since they don't seem to be sailing to Egypt in 2010 - hmmmm?) and maybe the Barcelona eastern med after that. And hopefully South America after that!!

The 2010 R/T Barcelona's stop in Egypt. I have booked the President's week in February trip on the Jade. Got an aft mini , so I am very happy

The 2010 R/T Barcelona's stop in Egypt. I have booked the President's week in February trip on the Jade. Got an aft mini , so I am very happy

Yah, but next year they still have the Greek Isles and Egypt itinerary. That's the one we really are looking at.

Not that any of the itineraries aren't interesting. We'd love to do them all!!

• 2 weeks later...

2010 seems to be the right time to try a Mediterranean or Alaska cruise for us. Regarding Med: does anyone have a month preference for sailing the mediterranean or Greek Isles - is May the best month? We want to avoid the crowds if possible... and the rain and cold.

• 4 weeks later...
That's right. As of now, NCL is not scheduled to offer cruises out of Philadelphia, Charleston and Baltimore in summer 2010. Norwegian Majesty, which is offering the ex-Philly and Charleston sailings, is leaving the fleet after the summer 2009 season. No replacement ship was named.

I was wondering if there was any news that has come up since the new year about a replacement ship for cruises out of Baltimore/Philly/Charleston? Thanks.

Archived