Coco Cay in December

My 1st Dec. cruise we missed Coco Cay due to weather.. it had been cold & windy the whole trip... the next year I went again about the same time, made it to Coco Cay no problem & thought I was going to roast in Nassau cause it was soooo hot...being from Fl. I find the water temp at CC a bit to cool for my liking then but seeing you are from Ind. you may find it just right...

My wife called me this morning just as she was preparing to board the tender to Coco Cay from Majesty. Said the weather was great although they had to delay departure from Nassau last night due to rough seas. I thought calling me was rubbing in a little since we had snow yesterday.

Dennis

My 1st Dec. cruise we missed Coco Cay due to weather.. it had been cold & windy the whole trip... the next year I went again about the same time, made it to Coco Cay no problem & thought I was going to roast in Nassau cause it was soooo hot...being from Fl. I find the water temp at CC a bit to cool for my liking then but seeing you are from Ind. you may find it just right...

And to the extreme weather condtions from my wifes recent cruise aboard the Monarch 01DEC sailing just returning from....Getting to CoCo Cay was not a problem but an unexpected storm surfaced and high winds and 20ft. swells caused an evacuation from the island. They even had to have a nearby ship "Norwegian Jem" position to block some of the waves so that tenders could get back to the ship. They even were preparing passengers with blankets to remain on the island for the night in the event they could not get all passengers back on the ship safely. Needless to say, not a pleasant visit to CoCocay last week !:eek:

When my wife told me they were instructed to wear their life vest on the tenders... I know there was some serious concern of passenger safety. Captain Karin had said it was the worst weather conditions they have experienced in 7 years when trying to visit CoCo Cay.

Maybe global warming?:confused: If it's that bad, we'll just stay on the ship. Guess we'll just have to wait and see! We'll be blessed just to be together.:) Thanks for the responses.

Don't worry. You will have a wonderful time. We took our first cruise a bit over a year ago, on a similar ship, and had the best vacation ever. We were skeptical, but are now true believers! We are about to take a second, shorter cruise on a smaller ship to the Bahamas. You are very lucky because, unlike ourselves, even if the weather is less than perfect in the Bahamas you will be cruising on to more Southern waters where you are very likely to have warmer and more reliably nice weather. Having to spend an extra day on the Mariner can always be turned into a "plus". Be sure to go ice skating. Besides being a lot of fun and quite refreshing if the temperature is hot outside, you do not want to miss the chance to be able to later tell your friends that you ice skated on a moving ship in the Bahamas/Caribbean! Have fun!

My wife called me this morning just as she was preparing to board the tender to Coco Cay from Majesty. Said the weather was great although they had to delay departure from Nassau last night due to rough seas. I thought calling me was rubbing in a little since we had snow yesterday.

Dennis

That's tough! Not very nice of her!! ;)

And to the extreme weather condtions from my wifes recent cruise aboard the Monarch 01DEC sailing just returning from....Getting to CoCo Cay was not a problem but an unexpected storm surfaced and high winds and 20ft. swells caused an evacuation from the island. They even had to have a nearby ship "Norwegian Jem" position to block some of the waves so that tenders could get back to the ship. They even were preparing passengers with blankets to remain on the island for the night in the event they could not get all passengers back on the ship safely. Needless to say, not a pleasant visit to CoCocay last week !:eek:

And thats why I think the captain didnt let us get off on the Dec 5th Monarch............the skies were blue............smooth seas...............I think she was "spooked" after what happened the last time they went...........heard they didnt get everyone back on till 7pm!!

BTW-that same scenario happened several years ago(2002 or2003) when the passengers did spend the night on the island!

And I am scheduled to be at Half Moon Caye next week.... not holding my breath though on that one... winds are scheduled to be 20 + mph....out of the east... not a good scenario for tenders that I am thinking !

Sorry you missed CoCo Caye, but better safe than getting a chance to see if those life vests really work !:eek:

Maybe global warming?:confused: If it's that bad' date=' we'll just stay on the ship. Guess we'll just have to wait and see! We'll be blessed just to be together.:) Thanks for the responses.[/quote']

First of all, global warming? :rolleyes: PLEASE Mr. Gore give it a rest!:mad:

We were on the Majesty last December and had no problems tendering to Coco Cay.

Sailed Dec. 12th, and had to skip Cococay due to high winds. It was a different Captain, Rick Sullivan. Apparently the Norwegian Sky which we could see anchored by another island also skipped the stop.

We heard a fellow passenger say that he had done back to back, and missed it both times. :(

I was on the 12/7/08 sailing of the Mariner. We stopped at Coco Cay on Monday December 8. No problems. It was a bit windy around the snorkle beach. However as you walked around the island towards the water slide the winds did not seem as bad. The water temp was fine. I wore a shorty wetsuit for my beach dive excursion but two other folks on the dive did not.

I sailed on Majesty December 8th. We went to Coco Cay on the 10th, but were delayed leaving Nassau the night before because of rough seas. Our Head Waiter said they had missed Coco Cay 7 times in the last two months. He said that Dec - August is the best time to visit Coco Cay. We had pretty good weather there -- it was mostly sunny, but breezy. The water temp was probably in the 70s. It was cooler than I expected.

Archived