Info for travel between LA and San Diego

allthatjazz

Has anyone ever cruised from Los Angeles and rented a car to drive to San Diego post cruise? We are interested after our Mariner cruise to spend a few days in San Diego, we thought about possibly renting a car or even taking the Amtrak, does anyone know how far San Pedro is from the Amtrak station? Thanks so much!:):):)

Has anyone ever cruised from Los Angeles and rented a car to drive to San Diego post cruise? We are interested after our Mariner cruise to spend a few days in San Diego, we thought about possibly renting a car or even taking the Amtrak, does anyone know how far San Pedro is from the Amtrak station? Thanks so much!:):):)

I know that there's one in downtown L.A., about 30 minutes away.. There might be one closer, perhaps a stop in Long Beach, but I'm not certain. There are a few in O.C.(in Fullerton and Anaheim), which is about 40 minutes away.

I would drive, the amtrak is a nice trip but it takes a long time and is costly. Rent a car head down the 405 to the 5 and you will be there in 2-3 hrs depending on traffic & your desire to drive the speed limit!! I live about 40 miles north of San Pedro and it has taken us as little as 2.5 hrs to up to 5 hrs. to get from our house to SD. If you are docking on a weekend the traffic should be lighter.

did that exact trip 2 years ago in january - easy to do - but there is no car rental companies by the port so we took a transfer to the car rental place about 20 minutes away (pre-arranged) and grabbed the rental and we in SD a few hours later. it would be nicer if there had been a car rental company closer but there wasnt 23 months ago.

have fun!

did that exact trip 2 years ago in january - easy to do - but there is no car rental companies by the port so we took a transfer to the car rental place about 20 minutes away (pre-arranged) and grabbed the rental and we in SD a few hours later. it would be nicer if there had been a car rental company closer but there wasnt 23 months ago.

have fun!

There is one agency near the port, Enterprise. They charge a $40 drop off fee to S.D. but you will have a car to get around in S.D. We use them and are very satisfied. They will pick you at the port and take you to your car.

I would also drive because you will find a car to be very useful in San Diego, and the time to take the train will exceed the drive time by a lot.

Some cruise companions of ours rented from Hertz after a cruise - they reimbursed them a few dollars for the cab ride to their Gardena office - I can't remember how much.

From the Amtrak Station there is bus 447 to San Pedro.

Cost 85 cent ,time 1 hour ,leaves every 30 minuut from the back side of the station.

Stops right in front of the ship 50 yard walk.

Done this twice a year last time November 08.

We had 4 suitcase no problem take right on the bus .Nice bus drivers and helpfull.

I usually leave with the 9 am bus get to the ship 10 am.

Since the gas been high and parking 12 dollar a day many PAX come this way now.

No hassle or stress freeway traffic.

If you are interested in taking Amtrak to San Diego from the World Cruise Center, Amtrak has a bus stop (the code on Amtrak's website is SPD) nearby at Pier 95 (The Catalina Terminal.) The bus takes you to Union Station and from there you can catch the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego (and not have to deal with traffic :D)

Archived