Polynesian Cultural Center

emste

Can anyone please describe the drive back to Waikiki from the Polynesian Cultural Center?

I have heard that it is not recommended at night.... we were hoping to stay for the Luau and the Horizons show and driving back to Waikiki in our rental car?

We thought about doing the Transportation from Waikiki to PCC but had wanted to rent a car so that we could do Diamond Head, and the Byodo Temple before heading up to PCC...?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Is it a curvy road back to Waikiki from PCC?

We figure we can drive ti back but some postings have scared me... is it that dangerous? I realize that the sun will have gone down and so it will be dark but just want to know if it is okay for us to drive?

TIA!

We visited Oahu twice in the past couple years. The 1st time was in 2007 when we spent a couple days there before embarking on the Pride of Hawaii, and more recently 2 weeks ago when we visited for a land vacation.

We have friends on Oahu and when we visited in 2007, they steered us clear of PCC that visit and strongly advised other activities. We didn't understand why, after all the hype the place gets, but heeded their advice.

This go around, we decided to forgo their advice and give the PCC a shot, devoting a complete afternoon and evening to the PCC (we were there 20-30 minutes after opening). Unfortunately we were pretty disappointed with the "authenticity" and surprised at the fake-Disney feel of the place both in appearance and attitude. Don't get me wrong, the grounds are very pretty, but still have a faux feeling to them, much like the performers who appear to be more about going through the motions than actually caring about the culture they're representing. In particular, we found the shows in the villages to be hokey, and disrespectful (especially if you had any knowledge about the culture). Instead of educating you about their culture in a dignified respectful manner, they jokingly mocked it with cheap easy laugh jokes in every village we encountered save New Zealand. It was like going on the Jungle Cruise at Disneyworld (Samoa and Tonga were particularly hokey and disrespectful in our opinion). We were shocked!

Unfortunately, the New Zealand village was disappointing in another way, that being a complete lack of authenticity, and one of the worst performances of the Haka we've ever seen! We've been to New Zealand, and visited the Mauri culture center in Rotorua which was spectacular, authentic, and humbling. They took their culture very seriously and demanded respect of their ways from visitors. In turn, we got a truly spectacular orientation into the Mauri culture.

It wasn't anywhere near that at PCC. In fact, the vast majority of performers are not from NZ (including the main guy that runs the village), but instead may have relatives from there, or may have visited once or twice, or distantly know people there. I felt like we knew more about New Zealand and the Mauri culture from our 10 day visit back in 2003 than the performers! Granted the majority of performers are students, however at a minimum we expected them to actually be from the country they were portraying, and to be knowledgeable about its customs and ways!

What really made things stand out was the fact that the day we were there, a competition performance group from Rotorua was also visiting the PCC that day, as was the Vice-President of Fiji and the Deputy Mayor of Rotorua. The PCC asked this group of 40 if they'd be willing to give a special performance for the Fijian VP, and they consented for the 3:30 show. What a difference from the earlier show we had seen with the PCC performers! This visiting group was awesome, and really highlighted just how disappointing the PCC performers were! Ironically, in talking with Rotorua's Deputy Mayor after the special performance, we learned that several members of this group hailed from the same Mauri Cultural Center we had visited 6 years ago (in fact we recognized a few of them).

I guess I'm saying to take all the glorious reviews of the PCC with a grain of salt (just as you should take my review). We were surprisingly disappointed, probably because we went there eager to learn more about the various cultures, and came out of it feeling like none of the cultures were presented in a respectful, educational manner. It seemed to be all about putting on a show and not about authenticity. We expected far more authenticity and respect of the many cultures they represent.

Didn't think so... Thanks for the information!

I know that we have to be careful and cautious... since we haven't travelled these roads before but thank for alleving me of any real concerns.

So Excited!!!

On a positive note, I can tell you there is nothing to worry about in driving back to Waikiki. We drove those roads many times at night, inculding after the Horizons Show in a pouring rain. They're fine, much like any other road here on the mainland, only far more spectacular views!

Oahu is actually a very pretty island, especially if you explore it and get out of the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and Waikiki!

We love the North and East Shores in particular. I also should note that the Byodo-In Temple enroute to the PCC off H3 is beautiful and worth the short stop!

Archived