Cosol Tour (St. Lucia) & Taxi Question

jenbri

I know I've read great things about the Cosol Tour in St. Lucia. My wife is hesitant in wanting to go, because of the time commitment (6 hours), and not wanting to feel tied up in one activity for that long.

Can someone who has taken that tour kinda describe how it goes? I've read about it on his Cosol site, but I was wondering if you're driving for hours, stop, driving for half an hour, then stopping again. I'm trying to convince my wife we should do this tour!

Also, when it comes to taking taxis from the pier to beaches/shopping in the Caribbean (specifically Southern Caribbean ports), do you negotiate taxi fares ahead of time? I know you're supposed to ask upfront "How much to get to XYZ?". If they say $30 (or whatever), can I feel comfortable in talking them down to $25? Just curious.

Thanks all!

Let me just say this about the COSOL tour.....TAKE IT!!!!! It will be without question the BEST $55 (or that's what it was when we went) you'll ever spend on a tour from a cruise ship.

Yes, it's all day. Yes, you'll be on and off a bus. Yes, it will be full of information and some of the MOST beautiful countryside that you've ever seen.

I don't want to give it all away...and I will tell you, I've always been hesitant about straying from the ship's tours simply because of the whole getting back on time thing, but COSOL has modern busses (they're a smaller version than what we think of as busses, but bigger than a mini-van) and you'll be comfortable and well taken care of and you WILL make it back to the ship in plenty of time.

The tours are well supervised by the man himself and had there been a problem, I'm sure it would have been taken care of IMMEDIATELY. In fact, I was having muscle spasms in my back the day of the tour and he noticed that I was bent over and having trouble getting around. When I told him I had hurt my back he IMMEDIATLY became concerned and asked if I needed help and did it happen on HIS tour.

Wow...great memories...and now I'm going to have to go home and look at the pictures. :D

Here's MY bottom line...If I'm ever in St Lucia again...he'll be the one I tour with.

FANTASTIC! I took this tour last month. November. One of the best tours I have taken in all my 37 cruises. I cannot say enough good things about it.

It is 6 hours long, but It is 6 great hours. You will not be bored. You will not go hungry. You will not forget your tour with COSOL.

I had two people with me that had never cruised before. Nor had they ever been to the Caribbean. They loved the tour. The are normally beach people.

On COSOL's tour he takes you to a beautiful black sand beach. You have an hour or so to swim. Bring your towel and ware a bathing suite under your clothes.

If you should go to a beach by taxi you cannot be sure that what beach your taxi will take you to nor if you will be able to get a taxi back. Then you find yourself worrying if you can get a taxi back. Not my idea of fun. With COSOL you don't worry about anything. He will have you back to your ship two hours before sailing. In our case it was three.

St Lucia is too beautiful to spend the day at the beach. But then you have to do what the wife wants. Be happy.

Bandit

We took the tour a couple of weeks ago. I think the reason the price went up is because the beach he took us to is no longer accessible by land (the hotel won't allow him in) so he now needs to pay to water taxi everyone over to the beach. Our driver told us that Cosol would like to purchase his own boat to shuttle everyone back and forth. Well worth the day, you see everything about the island. There are many stops on the way, at many overlooks for photos, we pulled over to get photos of cocoa trees, different grasses, the women doing laundry in the river. Also a man on the road with a large snake. Also a stop at the banana plantation with a wonderful explanation of the fields and the growing season. Then a stop at the botanical falls with many photo ops and then a stop at the sulfar springs. Of course a stop for eating.

And the whole time you are traveling the van drivers are very good about talking about each little town you go thru, the history of the country side, his personal history on the island, etc etc.

You will not be disappointed in the tour.

My wife and I also took the tour last month and had a wonderful time and concur with everything that has been said about the stops, sights, food, etc. Our driver even stopped on the side of the road so a woman in our van could have her picture taken with a boa constrictor being held by a local. We really didn't want her back in the van but since she had my passport, I made them let her in. Speaking of the vans, the vans Cosol uses are not your typical Caribbean run down small vans. They were like new, high roof, clean, 15 passenger vans. Due to the hotel prohibiting the vans going near the beach and therefore the requirement to use the water taxis, the day was more like 7 hours. No problem about getting back to the ship in time, but little time was left for shopping at the port shops. The only negative I would say about the trip is, there could have been more bathroom breaks or they should cut down on the free Piton Beer and rum punch.

We did this tour a few years back and I agree, it was the BEST tour we've ever done! I recommended it to my friend who was going there for a week and had a private tour and they loved it! It did cost more than when you go when the ships are in, but she said it was fabulous!

After reading so many positive Cruise Critic posts, experiences and reviews about Cosol Tours, prior to our cruise (Carnival Miracle / December 2007) we booked Cosol via email the "$50/per person 6-hour St. Lucia Island Tour" with Cosol Tours and we were soooooo glad we did. His prices are usually not negotiable, but you can try. You should definitely email him to reserve your spot in one of his many vans (no fee to reserve). Your name will be on Cosol's clip board when you get off your ship in port.

Our group of ten were assigned to our own air-conditioned modern van with Yellow Bird, Cosol's brother, who graciously hosted our tour which included food and drinks (unlimited sodas, Piton beer, rum punch, and shots of home made rum), visit to a banana plantation, two fishing villages, a botanical garden, a local bread shop, swimming under the Toraille water fall, drive through Sulphur Springs volcano and snorkeling at the Hilton Jalousie Hotel located between the Pitons. We have so many pictures and great memories of this tour...more than any other island we ever visited. Throughout the tour, Yellow Bird was very good about talking about each little town you go thru, the history of the country side, his personal history on the island, etc. Bring a towel, sun glasses, snorkeling equipment, your camera and an empty stomach. You won't go hungry or thirsty, as you are fed complimentary samples of local foods and home made "moonshine", Piton Beers and soft drinks about every 45 minutes.

Cosol was the best island tour that we have ever taken and the value and quality of this tour far exceeded our expectations. I would pay at least $100/pp for this tour. We really got to see the good and the poor areas of this beautiful island. They were always aware of the time you needed to be back on board your cruise and made you feel very comfortable about making it back on time. The vans would stop or pull over about every 30-45 minutes (to eat, take a picture, walk around, swim, snorkel, etc.)

BOOK IT NOW - you are guaranteed to have an awesome experience!! :D

Absolutely the best excursion and well worth the money. The day goes by quick. It is not your typical drive forever then spend a few minutes. The tour moves at their own pace (as fast or as slow as they want to go). Cosol is also aware of the time required to be back to the ship and (by his statement) has never been late.

If you want to get a feel for the island and really enjoy the day you couldn't pick a better excursion.

And if you want to make Cosol's day, bring him an apple (or several). He LOVES apples and it is one the fruits that is hard (and very expensive) to get in St Lucia.

Gotta agree with everybody...this excursion is hands down THE BEST we have ever done in the Caribbean and we have done some wonderful excursions. It was an absolutely amazing day! We still talk about it. And I would pay $65 for the bread and cheese alone! ;):D Our guide was Bumpy. St. Lucia is a very beautiful place.

Cathy (SwimnwFishes), I think we were on the tour with you. We sat in the back of the bus next to you. Hi! :)

Guess I'm cheap and wouldn't pay $65, but did his tour is 2005. Paid, I think, about 35 or 40. It was great!!!! As listed above, many stops and much fun. Would highly recommend.

Don't worry your not the only cheap one out there I can't bring myself to pay $50-$65 per person

I know I've read great things about the Cosol Tour in St. Lucia. My wife is hesitant in wanting to go, because of the time commitment (6 hours), and not wanting to feel tied up in one activity for that long.

Can someone who has taken that tour kinda describe how it goes? I've read about it on his Cosol site, but I was wondering if you're driving for hours, stop, driving for half an hour, then stopping again. I'm trying to convince my wife we should do this tour!

Also, when it comes to taking taxis from the pier to beaches/shopping in the Caribbean (specifically Southern Caribbean ports), do you negotiate taxi fares ahead of time? I know you're supposed to ask upfront "How much to get to XYZ?". If they say $30 (or whatever), can I feel comfortable in talking them down to $25? Just curious.

Thanks all!

Let me paint a short picture of the day. First of all we took this excursion the week of 11/14/08 (9 day on NCL Jewel). The day rained all day long, actually I don't think it stopped once. We were met 1/2 hour after the ship docked and was approved to disembarkment.

I'll give you the short version. Yes we had 8 in our group. This was pre-planned by my wife and I. There were two vans that day one for us and the other for another ship starting with "C", they also had 8 or 10 in there group. Cost was very reasonable ($55.00 US). The trip was OUTSTANDING. Yes the SUN would have bee nice but the rain did not take away the excitement. I must say for those having a beach excursion it wasn't the rain that ruined the day but the muddy waters around the island that caused the trouble. The higher terrains of the island drain into above group sewer lines (only rain water not raw sewage) along side the roads that run into the streams or rivers that run in to the ocean. It takes about a day for it to subside.

There are many stops along the way for pictures, restroom stop, shopping etc. A note about the restrooms, you have to pay a $1.00 to use them. On the way back to the port if the driver stops (and they do) there is no charge. NOTE: Make sure you give them the exact amount in bills not coins.

Ever place we went to was exciting, the fishing villages (very rustic), the volcano (inside), the Pintons even thow they were covered with clouds, the waterfall and the nature was outstanding.

The snack mid morning they provided was outstanding (island snacks).

The lunch was cheese and homemade (warm bread) not sure of the name.

Back in time to the ship with some time to see the lcal stores close to the pier.

There was a lot more but this was just a hi-lite. It was one of the most exciting and very well presented my our driver . His name was John Baptist (don't ask) just kidding.

Don't hestitate to ask questions. As I said this is the short version. We have pictures, let us know if you would like to be directed to the site to review.

Let me paint a short picture of the day. First of all we took this excursion the week of 11/14/08 (9 day on NCL Jewel). The day rained all day long, actually I don't think it stopped once. We were met 1/2 hour after the ship docked and was approved to disembarkment.

I'll give you the short version. Yes we had 8 in our group. This was pre-planned by my wife and I. There were two vans that day one for us and the other for another ship starting with "C", they also had 8 or 10 in there group. Cost was very reasonable ($55.00 US). The trip was OUTSTANDING. Yes the SUN would have bee nice but the rain did not take away the excitement. I must say for those having a beach excursion it wasn't the rain that ruined the day but the muddy waters around the island that caused the trouble. The higher terrains of the island drain into above group sewer lines (only rain water not raw sewage) along side the roads that run into the streams or rivers that run in to the ocean. It takes about a day for it to subside.

There are many stops along the way for pictures, restroom stop, shopping etc. A note about the restrooms, you have to pay a $1.00 to use them. On the way back to the port if the driver stops (and they do) there is no charge. NOTE: Make sure you give them the exact amount in bills not coins.

Ever place we went to was exciting, the fishing villages (very rustic), the volcano (inside), the Pintons even thow they were covered with clouds, the waterfall and the nature was outstanding.

The snack mid morning they provided was outstanding (island snacks).

The lunch was cheese and homemade (warm bread) not sure of the name.

Back in time to the ship with some time to see the lcal stores close to the pier.

There was a lot more but this was just a hi-lite. It was one of the most exciting and very well presented my our driver . His name was John Baptist (don't ask) just kidding.

Don't hestitate to ask questions. As I said this is the short version. We have pictures, let us know if you would like to be directed to the site to review.

THE SUBJECT LINE WAS WRONG it should have read "THE BEST OFF SHIP EXCURSION"

I did this tour in April 08 and the price was still 50. my van drank him out of beer and i tried with the rum. the morning break was a good 30 or so minutes of eating a drinking. we had another drinking break and later the bread and cheese. i was stuffed .the beach was nice but i did not snorkel some people did and saw a lot of fish. i ogt about 30 minutes to shop and it was enough as i had been before and knew what i wanted.

We went on a Cosol tour in December. We were on the only ship in port, so we just had one van. Cosol was an excellent guide and the tour was fantastic -- quite honestly the best cruise excursion I have EVER been on. From great scenery to local food to waterfalls and beaches, you'll see and experience it all.

There are certainly enough reviews out there that you can find out what the tour consists of. I'll just post a quick list of suggestions if you're considering this tour:

1. TAKE SNORKEL GEAR! Snorkeling at the beach between the Pitons was incredible, not to mention the beach itself. We were even able to snorkel in a school of color-changing caribbean reef squid (similar to cuttlefish).

2. TAKE A CAMERA! You will be stunned by the beauty of St. Lucia.

3. TRY THE RUM PUNCH! It's strong and good -- with the unique taste of fruits and spices.

4. TAKE THIS TOUR! Run, don't walk!

Thanks, Cosol!

Matt

Wow what great raves about this tour. I have not been to the website yet. Is there only "one" tour. Or do they have different tours? Thanks for your info. I have cruised many times, but this will be the first time to St Lucia.

Annieeee

Archived