Internet Connectivity on QM2 Since Refurb

Arubalisa

Has anyone had any experience "with the addition of in-room wireless connectivity"? :confused:

Mainly concerned with reliability of access for working online (not email), even if in one of the public rooms as also mentioned at "Queen Mary 2 Dry Dock Improvements Feature New Stateroom Wireless Technology and Mobile Phone Service at Sea". Speed of the connection? TIA for any help.

Lisa, I just returned from 18 days aboard. They were still having problems with the new system. People complained about lost emails. I know some of mine were never received.

WiFi is supposed to be available throughout the ship but it was usually just working in the area of the computer room.

Hopefully by the time you sail it will be sorted out.

WiFi is the same price as using their computers.

24.95 for 120 minutes

47.95 for 240 minutes

They were also giving specials on certain days, read your Daily Programme and April was available at certain hours for questions, etc.

Linda

I've just returned as well. We did not use the ship's email address so I can't comment on that, but we used WiFi in our cabin extensively both in port and at sea and never once had a problem, nor was it slow for either of us.

I would tend to agree with this. Used in the cabin only, and it worked great. Much more reliable than before. Quicker too. I just used web based email so I cannot comment on the Cunardmail.

Thank you so very much! You all just made my dh a VERY happy camper. :D

He does not mind working a couple of hours a day on vacation (in this case only Saturday and Sunday after we depart) as long as there is reliable connection. :D Speed is just an added bonus!!! :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned and the connectivity in our cabin was just fine. At times the connection was slow, but dh found that going online during off peak hours such as 5 a.m. the connection was very fast.

We just returned and the connectivity in our cabin was just fine. At times the connection was slow, but dh found that going online during off peak hours such as 5 a.m. the connection was very fast.

Hi Lisa,

How was your cruise??? I hope you and your family had a lovely holiday on the QM2.

Beth

Hi Lisa,

How was your cruise??? I hope you and your family had a lovely holiday on the QM2.

Beth

Thank you Beth for all your great info pre-cruise. Overall the line itself reminded us very much of HAL. Captain Bates and CD Warren Smith are great assets to Cunard. Captain Bates was by far the most personable AND visible Captain we have had on any of our 13+ cruises.

The ship is absolutely beautiful. We enjoyed all of the public rooms and always had trouble deciding on where to have pre-dinner cocktails.

Entertainment was varied enough on different evenings so that there were offerings for everyone in our family: the 12 year old to the 95 year old. :D Our two favorites were the Tempatation tribute as well as the Elton John tribute. Rock at the Opera was outstanding as well. Even my grandmother got a kick out of it. ;)

The family was very disappointed by the layout at the Kings Court. Lunch times were maddening :mad: during days in port with the closing of sections just as passengers were returning from their tours. Crowds were unmanageable. If this had not been a Caribbean cruise we would have had lunch in the dining room eat day.

The Boardwalk was great during port days early in the cruise before anyone knew it was there. :) Once people found out about it, we could never find a table. :( No fun balancing a food tray on a chaise lounge while folks are using the tables for working their crossword puzzles and sipping coffee or playing cards.

Our waiter and his assistant in the dining room were outstanding and made our cruise. The food choices for the picky eaters in our family were a problem a couple of nights. The only thing we could request each night was Caesar salad.

Overall I would imagine that if one could afford the Grill categories it would be a much better experience. ;)

FWIW, for anyone curious, dress codes were not enforced all of the time. In the dining room there were men wearing jeans to dinner. Some nights men were turned away who were not wearing jackets. Some nights not. About half way through the voyage maitre 'd's began "cracking down" on the jacket rule at dinner.

Towards the end of the cruise, coverups became evident in the dining room for breakfast as well. Beach coverups were seen in the Kings Court at lunch as well as bare feet.

Thanks so much for the report, Lisa. You have done a good job of reporting both the things you enjoyed and the things that you found disappointing.

I'm sorry that the King's Court was a problem for your family. I have always liked it, but there are just the two of us and not a large group. As you know from reading this board, there are many who share your view. When I sail on Princess or Celebrity, I miss the variety offered in the King's Court. I'm also surprised that the Caesar Salad was the only non-menu choice offered. That has not been our experience on the QM2.

How did you find the children's program?

Don't you love Captain Bates!!! His noonday announcements are something to look forward to! I'm glad you were able to sail with him.

I wish you and your family many wonderful cruises in your future.

Beth

How did you find the children's program?

Beth

Thanks Beth. Is it possible for you to email me at the address in my signature?

I neglected to mention in my prior post regarding the internet that you must monitor your shipboard account. Our package appeared as a debit on our account, but there were charges on our dd's account. At the age of 12 we were told she could not charge. When we questioned her she denied using any of the shipboard computers, admitting, she tried :mad: but could not figure out how to do it. :rolleyes:

When standing on line at the purser's desk the morning we disembarked, dh found others in line for the exact same reason. Upon phoning Cunard on Monday he was told that this is indeed a frequent problem of guests being mistakenly charged for internet minutes they had not used. He was then instructed to put the questionable charges in writing and submit it to Cunard.

Archived