Say goodbye to the SS Norway!

ohioNCLcruiser

Hi Watchdiva,

My husband and I sailed on our first ever cruise April 01 on the Norway too. What luxury!!! We had a suite on the top deck with full picture windows, dressing area, living area, king size bed and full bath with tub. For first timers we were spoiled when our next cruise was on the Magesty in a shoe box cabin with an obstructed view behind a life boat. But as I have read many times "Anyday at sea is better than a day at work".I must admit you had to do a lot of walking on the Norway, even had to change elevators to get to our deck and walk outside by the pool to get to our suite... It was an adventure. Sad to see her gone.

Ann and Bernie

• 2 years later...

I sailed on the Norway so many times I lost count. What memories I have of her.

In August of 1996, I was on it's first TransAtlantic cruise from Miami to Southhampton, since it was purchased by NCL. What a greeting we received in LeHarve France, since it was the first time it was back in France since it was sold to NCL.

I was told that since it was such a special cruise there was a list of all of those TransAtlantic passengers put on a special plaque on a wall. I wonder what happened to that and if anyone would happen to have a photo of it?

I also have fond memories and this thread brings tears to my eyes. Our room was ocean view, but parallel to the port side of the Norway. Would'nd that be nice today? Widows which we never closed. I remember a few years later I was on a Holland American cruise and a ship passed us about 10:00 p.m. The next day the captain told us it was the Norway and said it was slow to get started, but top end could out run any cruise ship on the ocean. He also went into the history and said it was one of the greatest ships of all time.

who were the baseball players on that cruise 5-11-1996 on the ss norway

Not sure about who were there on 5/11/1996 but we on one Sports Illustrated cruise on the Norway, we had Steve Carlton and Ozzie Smith, other famous sports celebrities onboard were Clyde Frazier, James Worthy, Harry Carson, Matt Biondo and so much more since each sport was represented by at least one or two players.

We were very lucky since we also were onboard when they had football players from various teams with us. Tim Brown and Wade Phillips were the ones I remember from that sailing.

Glad that our family had those opportunities and special moments on the Norway. My sons (now 28 and 25) have very fond memories of our Norway cruises.

Our first cruise too, back in 1997, (i think) she was a sweetheart of a ship,

we had an inside pokey little cabin, but didn't care, it was a cruise.

We still talk about the elegant afternoon tea in that elegant huge room.

While we've only had seven more cruises, only one away from NCL, the Norway made us into die-hard NCLers.

Next cruise is the Sun, 24 day Baltic and T/A in Sept.

I wonder where her fittings went? I would love to find a chair or something to have.

Nice to see a thread pop up again on our very favorite ship (which came to such an undignified end, how unforunate).

Anyway, sometime back I remember seeing a site where you could purchase Norway memorabilia, but sure everything is since long gone.

• 9 months later...

I was on the Norway's last cruise. Was woken up by the boiler exploding in the morning when we reached the port in Miami. It was my first cruise and I loved it. Having been on another since then, despite the ending I would choose NCL over any other. given the recent cruise disaster, the thing I remember the most about the SS Norway's explosion, was the way the crew handled it. There was no chaos. I will fondly remember the SS Norway she definitely got me hooked on cruising!

Fond memories of this ship, cruised in 1995, got bumped up to the Owner's Suite 3 days into a 7-day Caribbean itinerary. No balcony, but floor to ceiling wraparound windows at the front provided unbelieveable, unobstructed views, including from the cavernous master bath. Spacious living and dinning areas and the like. Sure didn't feel like I belonged there; but glad I was able to experience it on a gracious ship as grand as She was.

I was on the Norway's last cruise. Was woken up by the boiler exploding in the morning when we reached the port in Miami. It was my first cruise and I loved it. Having been on another since then, despite the ending I would choose NCL over any other. given the recent cruise disaster, the thing I remember the most about the SS Norway's explosion, was the way the crew handled it. There was no chaos. I will fondly remember the SS Norway she definitely got me hooked on cruising!

DS was one of those crew members. He primarily sailed the Norway from 2000 until the explosion. He stayed with the ship until the day before she was towed to Bremerhaven. Got to celebrate his 21st birthday in the Presidents Suite before she was towed out.

What a grand lady! My wife and I sailed on her in 1989. Even though we could only afford an inside cabin, we felt like royalty. I remember all the cases of booze that were bought by passengers in ST. Thomas. They launched a life boat and brought it all back. the cabin stewards formed a human chain and slid the cases down the promenade to the proper hallway for the cabin. What a hoot! Another great memory was tendering in to St. Martten (Sp?) before they had any type of dock. The Norway's tenders could drop the front of their boat like a military landing barge. The passengers literally stormed the beach! CHARGE IT!!!

Archived