Traveling with a CPAP machine

COLandlocked

That's interesting. I wonder why they want that information form? What possible use could it be for them to know you are using a CPAP when you sleep? Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe it's just a CYA thing.

Robin

Probably is CYA, Robin. It's the same form used for wheelchair, dialysis, diabetes, service animals and more.

No matter what you fill out or not, do take a extension cord. I would recommend a 20 foot one also, unless you like falling over it in the night. On the Osterdam the only power outlet was by the desk and TV in the Balconcy Cabins. The cord my steward got us was too short it had to hang over the table in the middle of the floor to reach the bed. It was a real pain! Soon as possible I got my own extension cord in port. Every morning I just unplug my CPAP and stuffed the cord and it in the closet. The couple we were traveling with also had a CPAP, you have to love TSA. They checked my device, even held up the hoses like something might have been in one. But our friends they did not even check, just walked right on passed. Laughing all the way, I can not wait until we try this in Europe in June of 09. Oh well just smile, you are going on a cruise and they have to dive into bags everyday...So the real joke is on them I guess.

Just a note for those who are on the single share program:

I have on my last cruise and the one being planned had to fill out a special form (special requirements information) for Holland America about my machine.

According to my agent (and she can not guarantee it) it flags me as being the single to get a cabin on my own if at all possible, because they don't want anyone upset at the sound of the machine at night (yea I know they are not loud).

I never heard of this, but love the idea :). If I stood a good chance of getting my cabin to myself due to the CPAP, I'd book the guaranteed share more often.

The last time I did a guaranteed share, we both had a CPAP.

HAL sent a Special Requirements Information form to be completed and returned. The form lists various accessible facilities and services required due to disabilities, and one is "I will require the use of a CPAP machine".

Live and learn, I guess. It's also the first time I've heard of this.

Apparently nothing bad happens if you don't notify HAL you're using the machine. :rolleyes:

What I generally do, because I hate carrying it (I know it is not heavy) is to stick in a small wheeled suitcase. I then put the whole suitcase in the x-ray machine, so that no one sees it.

Rod

Forgot to mention to watch your CPAP as it goes through the x-ray -

one man had his snatched off the belt on the other side - by someone

who knew their value in dollars I guess. Also I had one staff put the CPAP case right on the edge of the table where it could have easily tumbled off.

BoiseIdahospud - thanks for the tip re gloves - we will carry a pair with us as the customs people have never put on gloves to handle our machine.

Robin - great tip re the carabiner to attach the CPAP to the carryon

I think my DH would have died too without the CPAP - he was

getting headaches every day that nothing would ease. Our son

is also on the machine.

One thing to watch for too is meds taken - Dh was given Endocet for pain and nearly died - when I researched the drug, the info said that people with sleep apnea should not take it as it can shut down the breathing center in the brain which is a double whammy as they already have obstructive breathing problems.

What I generally do, because I hate carrying it (I know it is not heavy) is to stick in a small wheeled suitcase. I then put the whole suitcase in the x-ray machine, so that no one sees it.

Rod

TSA rules changed about a year and a half ago. It's now required that the CPAP be removed from it's case and be inspected. They wipe it down with a pad, then test the pad for ???---possibly/probably explosives. It's the same kind of pad they use to test my shoes (I don't remove those).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find my CPAP, and all the accessories, are difficult to get into the travel bag, and once the machine is removed I have a hard time getting it all back together again. Soooo, I bought a tote piece of luggage. That slings over my carry-on, so I have the other hand free for the piece of checked luggage.

Just curious

I was diagnosed with extreme sleep apnea about 8 years ago. snored like a buzz saw, stopped breathing and woke up God knows how many times a night (according to my DW, i never knew it was happening) I did know I was exhausted all day long and could nod off at the drop of a hat during the day.

Doctor advised either the CPAP machine or else surgery in which they took out a good sized chunk of the soft palette in the back of my mouth and my uvula (the little dangleing thing) Plus I still had my tonsils and adnoids which he said would have been good to take out to give me more "breathing room" . Its seems when i was asleep with all that in there my throat would constrict to the point of almost closeing up entirely.

I tried the CPAP. I don't know if they have made any modifications or streamlined the machine, but back then you had this thing that went on your face like an O2 mask that strapped on your head like a catchers mask . It drove me nuts .

I ended up having the surgery. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be . The worst part was the liquid pain ,anti inflammatory, and other meds I had to take (Couldn't swallow pills for a while) those were nasty tasteing.

But otherwise not that bad. Lost almost 20 lbs in two weeks . The nasty tasteing meds killed my tastebuds , and who the hell can eat with your mouth and throat so tender

Thank God it did the trick, snoring stopped, I sleep like a baby, and I am not dragging all day.

It's been over 13 years since I started using the machine. I've heard that some people have so much trouble adjusting to it that they never can. I had a hard time at first. I was on it for a short time, with difficulty, then went off on a 34-night cruise. My machine was huge, so there was no way to take it along. After the cruise I tried the machine again, and it worked like it was part of me.

Now I can't sleep without it.

It's been over 13 years since I started using the machine. I've heard that some people have so much trouble adjusting to it that they never can. I had a hard time at first. I was on it for a short time, with difficulty, then went off on a 34-night cruise. My machine was huge, so there was no way to take it along. After the cruise I tried the machine again, and it worked like it was part of me.

Now I can't sleep without it.

It was that big face mask thing strapped to my head that just bugged the heck out of me , could not get comfortable

I have heard the machines have been streamlined a bit over the years and its not so cumbersome

My doctor wanted to take out my tonsils etc. I'm SUCH a chicken, I said I'd rather do CPAP! :D

The masks are a pain, IMO. I've tried four. I own two. They both have their drawbacks. As soon as we get more flexible spending $$$ after the first of the year, I'm going to try another one or two, including a 'catcher's mask' type. (Right now I use two versions of 'nasal pillows,' which are not as comfortable as they sound. Heh.)

We came in five days early to New Zealand for our cruise last month and about killed ourselves touring around. When we got to our hotel rooms those nights, I was toooooo tired to figure out the extension cord/converter-transformer-whatever-thingy and went CPAP-less. I noticed a HUGE difference in my energy level! So I'm sticking it out. Anything to avoid surgery.

I really do enjoy the air flow of the CPAP, I just wish the masks were more comfortable. I hope I can one day say I can't sleep without it like you, Ruth! I'm envious.

Robin

My doctor wanted to take out my tonsils etc. I'm SUCH a chicken, I said I'd rather do CPAP! :D

The masks are a pain, IMO. I've tried four. I own two. They both have their drawbacks. As soon as we get more flexible spending $$$ after the first of the year, I'm going to try another one or two, including a 'catcher's mask' type. (Right now I use two versions of 'nasal pillows,' which are not as comfortable as they sound. Heh.)

We came in five days early to New Zealand for our cruise last month and about killed ourselves touring around. When we got to our hotel rooms those nights, I was toooooo tired to figure out the extension cord/converter-transformer-whatever-thingy and went CPAP-less. I noticed a HUGE difference in my energy level! So I'm sticking it out. Anything to avoid surgery.

I really do enjoy the air flow of the CPAP, I just wish the masks were more comfortable. I hope I can one day say I can't sleep without it like you, Ruth! I'm envious.

Robin

Oh I noticed a big difference in how i felt in the morning when I woke up and my energy through the day after the surgery.

I wasn't crazy about surgery , but I did it, it's over and now I am done with it . Like I said I had the whole works, tonsils, adnoids, soft pallette , uvula. What they didn't cut out they burned out with a lazer. It was never painful, more uncomfortable than anything

The liquid swill I had to swallow three times a day was the worst of it. Bleeeeeh *LOL*

DH and I both have sleep apnea and before leaving on our Alaskan cruise tour (13 days), had our Dr. type out a letter for each of us stating that these were neccessary medical equipment and put each one in the carry cases. They were carried by us on the plane and on the trains to and from Denali, NOT packed with the luggage. We only had one incident where the TSA actually pugged our machines into the computer to check them out (for what I don't know). Otherwise the cases were opened and they were looked at and swabbed and that was it. We packed a multi outlet strip and an extension cord in our luggage. At night we plugged cpaps and camera chargers into the strip under the bed and then the steward had to bring us a heavy duty extension cord to plug the strip into and across the room to the only outlet in our cabin. In the morning, we unplugged everything and shoved the cord and outlet strip under the bed so he wouldn't trip over it while cleaning and making our bed. We managed just fine. We used tap water or bottled on the land portion and before sailing out of Seward, we stopped at the Safeway grocery right near the dock to stock up on some Pepsi/Diet Pepsi and a gallon jug of distilled water for our cabin. :)

• 9 months later...

My DH and I both use CPAP machines and are brining it on our trips since we will be gone for 17 days. Are we required to tell HAL that we are brining them on board?

Also I will bring our own extension cords since we have two machines. Can anyone tell me where the outlets are on the Eurodam, Category V cabin on the 8th floor?

Thanks for any responses.

I always bring my own cord. I just unplug it in the morning and throw it under the bed.

I have a humidifer but I never bother using it, I don't get that dried out. DW isn't amused, the humidfer added a lot to the cost of my current machine. My new machine is light years better than my first CPAP about ten years ago.

My DH and I both use CPAP machines and are brining it on our trips since we will be gone for 17 days. Are we required to tell HAL that we are brining them on board?

I've never told HAL. It never crossed my mind to let them know.

If you are both using machines be sure to bring a power strip so they can both be plugged in at the same time.

I always carry a light extension cord. It saves the hassle of trying to find one on the first day. You WILL need it.

NCL charged me $10 to use one of theirs!

I pack my CPAP in my carryon with camera gear and a change of clothes. I can't be bothered with a separate bag. I've been travelling with it for almost ten years. The newest one is quite compact and I've found that I don't need the humidifier.

I also pack mine in my carry on. The new models are so small now the struggle of a second bag and finding a place to store it on a plane just isn't worth the hassle.

Masks have changed dramatically over the last couple of years, they now have lighter and more comfortable nasal pillow ones. The one I use almost feel like it isn't there.

CPAPtalk.com is a great resource and if you have a chance check out the humor section under the yellow light bulb. I used to be a pretty big contributor there, they gave me my own section. Been inflated for quite some time now :)

I don't see the need to tell HAL you are bringing it. In 7 cruises with them over the past 9 yrs i never have and no one has ever raised the issue. Can't imagine why they would care. Don't think it draws any more power than a laptop would.

Plenty of storage pockets in my carry bag so I don't know why someone would not bring their own extension cord. We always bring a power strip as well so that we can charge cell phones, camera, discman etc. I just plug the extension cord into that.

We don't bother with distilled water on board. Have used tap from the bathroom with no ill effects. I do use distilled at home.

Thank God for the machines.. can't believe how many people I know who have one. I always used to joke that I wanted to die in my sleep like my grandfather... not like the 3 passengers in his car who were howling like mad as he drove off the cliff. Now the rumble strips on the side of the road just seem a novelty... but over the years they likely saved my life a few times.

Will admit that with the combo of the machine and 2 artificial knees it makes the TSA thing a major pain... but then I just stop to appreciate that we can still travel when so many others are trying to figure out how to keep food on the table and keep the utilities turned on.

I've been a hose head now for about 5 years and my DH for 1. When flying, I always bring it as a carry-on. Never had a problem with TSA. They are very familiar with cpaps. They will make you open the case though and allow them to check it.

When cruising, I also take it as a carry on. I always carry a long extension cord. NCL and Disney both said they could not supply me with cords (don't know about HAL). This trip I am thinking of a plug adaptor as the European outlets are more plentiful on the ships.

Well, I too have joined the CPAP crowd. I received mine the day before we were going on the QM2 over Labor Day and since I was up late packing I did not bother with it until I got back. I still wake up at night when I turn or when my nose itches but it is getting better. I do hope they find a (non-mechanical/surgical) cure someday! :(

I have spoken to doctors on board in the past, and the people who have registered their machines with Holland america aparently are placed in cabins whose power circuts are connected to the emergency electrial back up generator. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have registered mine on both of my cruises.

I have been reading this post. I use a nebulizer for asthma. I guess the same applies to it. Should I contact my HAL TA about registering my neb?

I thought all i needed to do uas bring it.

Cely

Archived