shore excursions --hawaii

redrdeo

My husband and I took the sunrise bike trip (we were not on a cruise at the time) from Bob's downhill bike shop in Lahaina (sp?) It was a very easy trip only about 1 mile of actual pedaling down the mountain, the rest you are on the breaks all the way down. I did get lightheaded at about 11,000 feet as I remember and they put me in the van with my bike and gave me O2 until I felt better and then I resumed the ride...it was fantastic and not to be missed. Just remeber to take a warm sweater or jacket...its cold at that elevation and they give you smelly rain gear when you go thru the clouds. We took the tour early Jan. several years ago...

Have fun

Arlene

bobbyd6363-

Is the tour available through the ship? That's how we booked ours. Our ship was actually in port from 8 AM until 9 PM, but the excursion started at 8:30 AM and was only about 6 hours - which would be plenty of time to get back by 4:30. We actually booked a second shore excursion starting at 5 that day and waited around for it for awhile. We also didn't take the "full" bike ride. We started at the top, but from what I understand you can still keep going down further. But ours was still at least two hours of riding (I think it was 23 miles or so) and I think it was sufficient - the stuff cut out was at the bottom of the mountain. Plus if you book it through the ship, if it runs over, the ship will wait for you. Just a thought...

cdbisme - I was looking at the list of excursions for the island princess at the Princess web site and the list only goes through April '05. I didnt see the Haleakala bike ride on that list but maybe when they update the list they will add it. So far it looks like we are going to either do a private ride that leaves later and returns earlier because we are only in Maui until 6PM. Else I will have to miss this ride.

Archived