Carseat - am I crazy??

katondeck

We are cruising in January and my daughter will be 10 months old. We are going in a day early to FLL and probably booking the Holiday Inn by the Bayside in Miami. I was planning on bringing the big safe Britax car seat and just dealing with the fact that it will take up space in the cabin and that in most ports there would not be seatbelts. But I thought that I needed/wanted it in Florida.

I just spoke to two of my co-workers who have had small children in big cities(NY and Miami) and took taxis regularly. They basically told me I was crazy to think I could get a carseat in a cab without getting killed trying to do it. They said they both shoved the umbrella stroller in the trunk got in and held on tight!

Can any of you tell me if you took a child in a taxi without a carseat? I honestly thought it was illegal! We are going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel - did any of you use a carseat in those ports?

I have not made up my mind, but this may mean renting a car and carseat. I do not know if there is somewhere close to the port to turn in the rental car and if I remember correctly I can not walk to the port? This means she would still be in a taxi even if it only for a couple of miles.

If you are not comfortable answering this on open forum my email is khebert@nec.edu. I would really like to hear what people have done and I do not want anyone to get flamed for it.

Thank you!

Under one year is the trickiest time to deal with these issues.

I'll admit, I've been guilty of the "hold her tight on my lap" scenario several times when we have traveled and not rented a car, but trying to properly install a carseat in a taxi seems not only impractical, but almost impossible.

Once the baby is beyond a year, you have more options - like the "Tote & Go", but when they're rear facing, even though you feel horribly guilty the whole time, I think more people take the risk than not.

Just being honest . . .

We are cruising in January and my daughter will be 10 months old. We are going in a day early to FLL and probably booking the Holiday Inn by the Bayside in Miami. I was planning on bringing the big safe Britax car seat and just dealing with the fact that it will take up space in the cabin and that in most ports there would not be seatbelts. But I thought that I needed/wanted it in Florida.

I just spoke to two of my co-workers who have had small children in big cities(NY and Miami) and took taxis regularly. They basically told me I was crazy to think I could get a carseat in a cab without getting killed trying to do it. They said they both shoved the umbrella stroller in the trunk got in and held on tight!

Can any of you tell me if you took a child in a taxi without a carseat? I honestly thought it was illegal! We are going to Grand Cayman' date=' Roatan, Belize and Cozumel - did any of you use a carseat in those ports?

I have not made up my mind, but this may mean renting a car and carseat. I do not know if there is somewhere close to the port to turn in the rental car and if I remember correctly I can not walk to the port? This means she would still be in a taxi even if it only for a couple of miles.

If you are not comfortable answering this on open forum my email is khebert@nec.edu. I would really like to hear what people have done and I do not want anyone to get flamed for it.

Thank you!

No you are not crazy for wanting to put your childs safety first. But, it will be very hard to lug a carseat around and buckle it in each vehicle. As for the legal issue, I don't think other countries have the same laws we do concerning transportation of child. But I do know that public transportation(cabs, buses, etc.) in the States are exempt from child restraint regulations. Hope this helps.

We are taking our one year old on a Thanksgiving cruise next week and I asked the same question a while back. We ended up investing in a sit n stroll car seat stroller combo. I have been a few cruises and seen how they drive on those islands and I decided I would be a nervous wreck without Alex safely secured. I want to enjoy our much needed vacation and not stress. If the taxi that gets us dosen't want to deal with a car seat or doesn't have a seat belt to secure it, I guess we'll wait for the next one.

You may want to check FL Law on the carseat also. I thought someone posted that you can't take a taxi in some states without a car seat, CA maybe?

Have a great cruise!!!!

Pam

I purchased a sit-n-stroll for my daughter before our first vacation when she was 9 weeks old. Although the sit-n-stroll is a unique idea, it is not as functional as it seems. It is time consuming and difficult to get it strapped in properly (you will need to carry rolled up towels or cut up pool noodles to get the proper angle of the seat). We rarely could get it in tight enough to allow less that 1 inch of movement. We took it on our first few trips (dd is 14 months and we just returned from her 17th flight) and no longer use it. It is still in perfect condition, but not as practical as I had hoped.

I realize that some may consider me irresponsible, but considering that I have never seen a taxi in the Carribean that had any seatbelts and the busses/vans don't have very wide seats, we will not be taking a car seat when we leave for our cruise in 2 weeks. We are renting a van and carseat in Fort Lauderdale, but will not have one for the excursions. I guess it is a risk we have chosen to take, but we also are planning to do ship sponsored excursions and they will not charge us for dd (so no seat will be alotted for her either).

It is a tough decision to make. Believe me, I have thought long and hard about it. Some will say that even when you fly you should purchase a seat for all infants and use the carseat on board, but in our case dd would scream the entire way if we forced her to sit in a carseat the entire flight. You will have to weigh the pros and cons and do what you feel comfortable with.

I admit that I have not had any recent experience with carseats as my children are well beyond the carseat years. I just want to commend you for thinking of your child's safety ahead of convenience. I would take the carseat. I feel that even if it could not be buckled in place in a taxi the hard shell of the carseat would still offer more protection than simply holding the baby in your lap.

A car seat should always be used on a plane with an infant/toddler. Please purchase a seat for your child on the plane - infant fares are lower and guarantee a seat on the plane for your precious little one. I have used the sit n stroll for numerous flights and would recommend it. As a matter of fact, US flight attendants unions are lobbying to change the flight recquirements so that all small children will have to be in their own plane seat strapped into a car seat.

I have not experienced any problems securing it in different cars and taxis. You do have to pull tightly on the seat belt to have a snug fit - whether its used front or back facing. I would practice with the sit n stroll. If you need to adjust the angle, use your beach towels or a rolled up sweat shirt/baby blanket - its not too difficult.

Interestingly enough, you may want to check on the seat belt laws for the ports that you are visiting. Any US island or british island, for example, requires seat belts in cars/taxis. Many independant islands also recquire them. In practice, it's a little different. You may have to wait for a taxi or two to actually have a seat belt but your precious little ones safety is more important. Although not recquired in Mexico, I have used taxis with seat belts.

You can purchase them on new on ebay.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!:cool:

We will be in the same situation in 1.5 weeks. My thought is to use our Snugli or cheap baby bjorn type thing to strap him to my chest and then I'll be strapped using the seat belt. Not perfect but better than nothing I guess. I really can't imagine carrying a car seat down the entire length of the pier. We are also doing the airplane thing too. My son will be sitting on my lap. If you look at statistics he will be safer on my lap than if I were to drive and that's the alternative.

We will be in the same situation in 1.5 weeks. My thought is to use our Snugli or cheap baby bjorn type thing to strap him to my chest and then I'll be strapped using the seat belt. Not perfect but better than nothing I guess. I really can't imagine carrying a car seat down the entire length of the pier. We are also doing the airplane thing too. My son will be sitting on my lap. If you look at statistics he will be safer on my lap than if I were to drive and that's the alternative.

Actually, your alternative is to purchase a seat for your child and bring a carseat or sit 'n stroll type device. You don't back out of your driveway without him in a carseat, why would you do so on a plane? I've been on flights where people have hit the overhead bins due to turbulence. I can't imagine subjecting an unrestrained child without head support....but to each his own. It is your own parenting decision at this point in time.

Have a safe trip!

I understand your concerns however where I live it is very expensive to buy an extra seat and they don't offer discounts. The price would be between $400 and $600 for the extra seat. As I stated before its not a matter of buying the seat or not, but more a choice between driving or flying, hands down its safer to fly. Oh, forgot to mension the $200 plus shipping for the sit and stroll you recommend. So now we are talking up to $800 for a one hour flight or a 10 hr car ride. I think I'll fly.

We just got back on Friday from RCCL Rhapsody of the Sea.

I have a 15 mos. old (just turned) and a 9 yr. old.

We live by the Port of Galveston, so we drove down. But, we didn't take the carseat out of the car.

We went to Costa Maya and Cozumel.

The pier is long in Costa Maya. You can walk it, but they do provide a free trolley to the end. You can take a taxi into the town of Mahahual and go to the beach. I'm not sure how many of these taxis would have seatbelts. It a poorer area. We decided to rent a golf cart. I just held my daughter on my lap. Very little traffic and you can control how fast you go.

In Cozumel, we took a taxi to Paradise Beach. It took about 10-15 mins. There was at least one seatbelt in back--my son used it. My hubby sat in back also, but I don't remember if he used it while holding our daughter. Then, we took a taxi to Cozumel Minigolf, then back to the ship. I'm not sure about seatbelts the other times (I sat in front).

With a little one, you already are toting a bunch of supplies, and the carseat would be hard, especially if walking around--some areas can be pretty crowded (ie. shopping). If you go to the beach, the carseat will get loaded with sand. You can get a carseat cover/carrier with straps to help carry it around, though. I got mine at Babies 'R Us for about $40.

We are leaving for a second cruise on Dec. 5. (Carnival Elation) to Progreso, Cozumel, and Belize. We won't take it there, either. In Progreso, we're doing a ship's tour. And you're right, she's be a lap child--no seat for her. (We've been cruise since our oldest was two.) In Cozumel--probably Paradise Beach again. In Belize, it's a tender port which means you take a boat (seats maybe 200 people) to the pier--you don't dock at a pier. So, the carseat may be challenging there. Also, we are doing the Sting Ray/Nurse Shark Snorkeling Tour through www.coralbreezelimited.com. That means we would have to haul it with us in and out their boat.

We also fly often--my 9 yr. old has probably flown 35+ times, and the little one is at 5 (6 at Christmas). About 95% of the time, we fly SWA--no discounts for kids. We have never bought a seat for them (while they are under 2). I'm not saying things can't happen, but we have hardly ever had much turbulence. In my opinion, with flying, either you going to all live or all die.

Cruisin'kat--you have to decide what's right for you and your family.

Good Luck!

CJ,

Sit n stroll I purchased was 169 with shipping- it was new. But you don't need a sit n stroll just a seat on the plane and bring a car seat. Most airlines offer infant fares which are discounted off the lowest available fare at time of booking. They are not advertised on UA, AA, or Delta's websites or on Orbitz/travelocity.You have to call.

Airlines such as SW do not offer infant fares.

If the plane isn't fully booked, you can put your baby in a car seat on the plane, but you are taking a chance that the seat may not be available.

I have flown coast to coast, mexico, and the caribbean and have not paid more than 200 dollars for my daughters seat - most often it is between 89 and 129 dollars.

The sit n stroll is good if you travel a lot. Otherwise it can be pricey. But if we have cars and drive, us parents of little ones all have car seats. which can be utilized on the plane - just a bit more to carry...

My concerns are from experience....I've been on too many flights that are turbulent or have had hard landings....I'll be glad when the legislation finally passes. You may want to go to the AFA Air Safety, Health and Security Department's web site - click on air safety then child restraints...read Jan Lohr report if you get a chance.

Anyway, have a safe enjoyable trip!

Ok, even if I could get it for $169 with half off airfare, that would still be at a bare minimum $369. It would still be much cheaper for me to drive the 10hrs. The only reason we are not driving is because of some vouchers we had from previous flights. I understand that you may be able to get such cheap airfares where you live, however in Columbia, South Carolina you will be doing good to get tickets at $400/pp. Usually we have to drive 2 hrs. and then get on a plane to save $200.

I hope the legislation you are talking about never gets passed because the airlines are correct. I would not fly if I had to pay for the extra seat. Now if you can get some legislation that says infants travel free with seat then you would have my interest. I'm sorry but I can't afford $1200 airfare for 3 people, I would drive in that situation. Since I had the vouchers and my son flys free and He is safer in my arms on a plane than in the carseat in my vehicle...again I choose to fly.

[

I hope the legislation you are talking about never gets passed because the airlines are correct. I would not fly if I had to pay for the extra seat. Now if you can get some legislation that says infants travel free with seat then you would have my interest. I'm sorry but I can't afford $1200 airfare for 3 people, I would drive in that situation. Since I had the vouchers and my son flys free and He is safer in my arms on a plane than in the carseat in my vehicle...again I choose to fly.

I don't think the infant traveling in a free seat would work - kinda like cruises. An infant takes up a berth on a ship or a seat on a plane - each a revenue generator. Most cruise lines charge for infants - but we pay for them on cruises, don't we?

Anyway, what did you think of Jan Lohr's report? Did you get to read it? I'd be interested in your thoughts about what you do with your baby in an emergency landing situation.

Have a good cruise

Ok, I read the report you refer too. First off this is a very, very, very, very, very rare situation. However, I would not lay my son on the ground. I would use what resources where available to me at the time. Let's see, I'm wearing a belt....if I string the belt through my sons sleeve in front of his chest and back through the other sleeve I can make a make shift harness allowing me to strap him inbetween my wife and I. Even better we'll have our snuglie baby carrier which straps him to my chest already, I'll use that. I can tell you this, he won't be on the floor strapped to nothing. I'll stuff him in my shirt if I have to, any means necessary to improve his safety.

Next time you fly take a look at how the seats are fastened. You'll discover they are not designed to hold you in a crash. When a plane crashes the seats break away from the floor. It would be next to impossible to keep them secured.

Why do you think they don't have shoulder straps. The seats are not designed to save you in a crash. The only reason the seat belts are there is during turbulance. In a crash you would probably be severed in half by the same device you used to save youself.

If you really want to get something done come up with a way to fix it. How about design a safety restraint system for infants on parents laps and require all airlines to supply such devices for these customers. If you think about it, on a ship they have to have flotation devices for infants, why not safety devices for infants on airlines.

For those of you that have told me how you travel and given me the reality check - thank you! I am still not sure exactly what I am going to do. I will probably rent a car, I need to look into it more and maybe call the limo services in FL.

For the ones who have started arguing about what is right, please stop. That was not my intention for this post. You are both doing what is right for your families for your own reasons and neither one of you is wrong. I do not want the post to be pulled because I think the information will be helpful to other people.

Cj - the safety devise for infants exists and is available for $35 US at http://www.onestepahead.com. It is another thing I am considering, but still not sure about.

Thank you!

Your right kat sorry, I did not mean to take over your thread like this. I apologize. won't happen again. Lets keep it on topic. If in my travels I come up with some good tips for infants I will try to post back and let you know. Wow...10 days until Sensation, can't wait. Hopefully my hometown of N.O. with welcome me:)

I did not know that existed. I think I still like my snuglie thing, it has some head support built in to it.

thanks

If you really want to get something done come up with a way to fix it. How about design a safety restraint system for infants on parents laps and require all airlines to supply such devices for these customers. If you think about it, on a ship they have to have flotation devices for infants, why not safety devices for infants on airlines.

They do have safety devices for infants on airlines....it is called a car seat;)

The Baby B'air product is only certified for inflight service not take off , landing, or taxi.....You are probably right that the snugli offers better head/neck protection.

BTW - Did you know that its not necessarily true that a ship/boat has to have a flotation device for a baby? If you are taking tour that involves a ferry or a boat (ie to Sting Ray city/St. John's snorkeling) they don't necessarily have flotation vests for those under 30 lbs. They will tell you that they follow US Coast Guard rules.

You can buy infant life vests fairly inexpensively at Sportmart - 10 or 11 dollars off season.

Anyway, have a good evening and a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Time2gocruzn

We are in Iowa and I can relate about the outrageous airfare prices. If we were to fly out of Des Moines, the cheapest seat I can find was around $400 and we are a family of 4. We are also driving for hours to another airport and our tics were still around $200 each. Plus there are no seat belts in cabs in the ports we are going to any way. We are sailing out of Tampa, going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya. We are flying in the day b4 and our hotel is coming to pick us up in a bus, and will take us to the pier the next day. I asked and they do not require car seats in the bus. The only cab we will take in the states is when we get back to the port, and need to go to the airport.

There will always be those who want to lecture about child saftey like others are idiots, believe me I know, I asked this b4 and got FLAMED! lol. BUT there will always be parents like ME who will chose to be practical and NOT drag a gigantic seat that we will probably not be able to use anyway. Yes I am aware of the risks, I weighed them with the benefits and this is my choice. Thousands of people fly with kids everyday. The majority of people cant get airfare for under $150, the majority of them fly w/ out seats. I was going to get a baby b'air, and changed my mind. I am traveling w/ my almost 2 year old and 4 year old. HTH!! Good luck what ever you decide!!!

DJKLove, we are also traveling with our two year old and our four year old. Our concern is the Limo to the Airport. We are not sure what to do. I looked into the Tote N Go (by Costco or Safty 1st) and read awful reviews of the product. THat was what we were going to buy and use every where we could.

Our kids have there own seats on the flight, but the Tote N Go could not be used.

So....that leaves us with buying the tote n go and hoping it does not suck as much as everyone says.... OR

Dragging along the big carseats for the Limo and the Flight. Then we would have to figure out if we could store them at the NOLA airport for a week. We will take our chances with the taxis in NOLA and the ports of call.

Questions: Anyone here used the Tote N Go and liked it?

Anyone know if it is illegal to not buckel up in a Limo?

Anyone know if they can be stored at NOLA Airport?

Anyone know the cost and type of storage?

Guest Time2gocruzn

I think I read here b4 that you can't store things at the airport anymore due to security reasons, but I would call to find out. I know the last limo I took my kids in did not require a seat, but I am sure laws vary by state. I would call the company direct and find out. Good luck whatever you decide :) Maybe you could use it in the limo, and the limo company could keep it for ya for the week, and then you could just pick it up at their office OR have them have it in the car when they come to pick you up to take you home.

I must have read the same reviews you did about the Tote n go, lol. My 4 yo is TALL, and wouldn't be able to use it. I know someone gave me a link to a product similar to a tote n go, I will post if I can find it.

DkLove, Interesting. The freedom ride does not seem to have the moulded plastic back like the Tote n go. Luckily my kids are pretty small for the age and I think the Tote n Go would fit. All of the bad reviews are about it's size. The parents all questioned the saftey of it, but never even used it in the car because it did not fit! I think we will try to order it and if it does not work on a day trip we will other this other one. Thanks so much for the link.

I bought a tot-n-go at Walmart over the summer - it was on clearance for $10 - I had never seen them there before though. I have never used it, but the review I have read say that it is very difficult to get tight in the car. Since it was only $10, I bought it for a just in case - I figure if I don't use it I can sell it on Ebay later. Also DD is too small for it still - even though she is 15 months, she is still rear facing.

First off I want to say I did not read all of the above posts. Secondly, you must do what you feel comfortable with. Last of all, my 2 cents. We returned last month from a cruise with my 13 month old. Yes, we bought the extra seat on the plane. Yes, we lugged the HUGE Britax car seat around at the airport and the Port of Miami. It did cost us extra money but for me personally her safety comes first. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We had pre-arranged transportation to take us to our hotel and to the port and back to the airport. They were very understanding about getting the car seat in and we never felt rushed or like we were being a bother. That was our experience. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated (as far as carrying it around, and getting it strapped in). Decide what you feel comfortable with and then stick to it. Have an enjoyable and safe trip.

Archived