Just back from Tortola: Independent tour to the Baths

queenL

We were at the Baths a couple of weeks ago.

Use either Smith's or Speedy's, either one is fine.

I would plan to spend as much time there as you can.

You can walk down to the Baths on a trail well marked with steps, dirt etc. It does take a bit of a short hike, so I am not sure if the mobility impaired person would think it too much. Don't forget, you do have to make it back up that same path to get back...

The beach at the Baths is huge, there was a lot of people there when we went and it didn't seem crowded at all, tons of room to swim and rest and take in the sights...

As for the caves, by all means go for it if possible as it is definitely a awesome site to see. You do have to do some crawling and/or crouching down at some parts. The rocks are a bit slippery and your feet will get wet.

When you reach the end, there is another beach area that is great.

We snorkeled in both beach areas and while it wasn't the best in the Caribbean that we had seen, it was still fun.

We didn't even have time to visit the restaurant or the few gift shops that were there, so save time for that.

So if you have the option, go as early as you can, then you won't be rushed.

hope this helps

sklja

I'm just wondering when is the best time to go to the baths, morning or afternoon?

Try to get there mid to late morning. There is crowding in the morning when all the cruise ship tours are there, but since they only stay for about an hour, it gets less crowded later on. We took the 1030 Speedys ferry and got to the baths about an hour later. If you wait until after lunch it will be even less crowded still.

I thought I'd read somewhere on the board (and thought I'd bookmarked the site, but didn't) that there is a company that will take small groups to the Baths, but you'd approach it from the sea, swimming ashore. Am I delusional? Anyone done this?

I thought I'd read somewhere on the board (and thought I'd bookmarked the site, but didn't) that there is a company that will take small groups to the Baths, but you'd approach it from the sea, swimming ashore. Am I delusional? Anyone done this?

There is a company by the name of Patouche Charters who does this. Several people on these message boards spoke highly of them. I am waiting for an answer to an email that I sent them last week regarding an AM trip that leaves at 8:00 AM and would return by 12 noon. I want to make sure they always run on schedule because our ship (Solstice) is only docked from 7 AM to 1 PM. I am nervous about not getting back in time but would much rather do this on our own than take the ships excursion which only sounds like it stops at the Baths for a short time and goes on to see other things. Plus I'd rather not have to waste time walking down and then back up that path. I prefer to swim in from a boat also. Their website is www.patouche.com.

Pat

There is a company by the name of Patouche Charters who does this. Several people on these message boards spoke highly of them. I am waiting for an answer to an email that I sent them last week regarding an AM trip that leaves at 8:00 AM and would return by 12 noon. I want to make sure they always run on schedule because our ship (Solstice) is only docked from 7 AM to 1 PM. I am nervous about not getting back in time but would much rather do this on our own than take the ships excursion which only sounds like it stops at the Baths for a short time and goes on to see other things. Plus I'd rather not have to waste time walking down and then back up that path. I prefer to swim in from a boat also. Their website is www.patouche.com.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I am on the same cruise and would be interested in what they have to say. Would you please post once you hear back from them? I am a little nervous about booking something for such a short port time but we rarely book excursions with the ship and I have the same concerns you have about the ship's excursion. Thanks!

Nancy

I noticed a pretty negative thread on Patouche on this forum. They had boat trouble and left some people without their tour. Boat or car trouble can happen to anyone but it sounded like the response was poor. You may want to read it over before booking.

Geeze, you might want to look at the date on that thread, it's over two years old. Patouche is a good company with a record of years of good service, no company is perfect and anyone can have a glitch now and then. You'll find lots more folks that had great times then you will that had a bad one.

Hi Pat,

I am on the same cruise and would be interested in what they have to say. Would you please post once you hear back from them? I am a little nervous about booking something for such a short port time but we rarely book excursions with the ship and I have the same concerns you have about the ship's excursion. Thanks!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Hopefully I will hear back from Poutache soon. If not I'll try to contact them again. I read somewhere that Julie is away until 3/18 so maybe I will hear something next week when she gets back. If not I'll try again. If I learn anything at all I will post it here. Maybe we will be on the excursion to the Baths together. Let's hope it works out.

Pat

Thanks, Pat. For now I am booked on the ship's excursion in case they sell out. That probably doesn't happen until we are onboard but I have read in a few reviews that the excursion sells out. There aren't that many choices in Tortola. We were also thinking about booking a snorkeling trip but aren't sure we want to miss the Baths.

Did you sign up for the Celebrity Connections party?

Nancy

If you go on the 9AM ferry and come back on the 12:30PM one--is that enough time? And someone also mentioned that the island time is one hour ahead of ship time? Can explain what that means? So if the last tender is 4:30PM, it's technically 5:30 PM on the island?

Just wanted to say that this thread was very helpful! I'm going to Tortola through Disney Cruise Line at the end of April and we're doing the Baths excursion.

I wasn't sure what kind of shoes to wear but I'll definitely bring my water shoes now! Thanks again and I'm so excited!

Thanks, Pat. For now I am booked on the ship's excursion in case they sell out. That probably doesn't happen until we are onboard but I have read in a few reviews that the excursion sells out. There aren't that many choices in Tortola. We were also thinking about booking a snorkeling trip but aren't sure we want to miss the Baths.

Did you sign up for the Celebrity Connections party?

Nancy

Received an email from Julie at Patouche Charters today. She said in her email that the half day trip to the Baths departs at 8:30 am with a return no later than 12:30pm. Their web site says 12pm. If they don't get back till 12:30 that is really cutting it close. I called Celebrity to find out what time we should be back to the ship if it is sailing at 1pm and I was told by 12pm. I'm not sure this is going to work out after all. I'm really disapointed. Maybe if enough of us from the Solstice take this excursion they would make it a point to get us back by 12. Now I'm not sure what to do. Maybe we'll just stay on Tortola and find a great beach.

And to answer your question Nancy, no we did not sign up for the Connections party.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info. We booked on the ship's excursion to the Baths and think we will stay with that for now. It usually sells out and I don't want to take a chance. We'll decide onboard whether or not to cancel and just stay in Tortola and snorkel at the beach. I think the time is just too tight to book with Patouche and I don't think I would be able to relax worrying about getting back on time.

Maybe we will get the chance to meet onboard. The roll call group is meeting after muster during sailaway at the Sunset bar.

Thanks again!

Nancy

Just wondering how to get from the pier to Speedy's? Directions?

You walk straight along the sidewalk out of the pier area until you see the outside tents of people selling stuff (short distance). Turn left and continue walking until you see the ferries (about 1/2 a mile). The ticket station is right there.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info. We booked on the ship's excursion to the Baths and think we will stay with that for now. It usually sells out and I don't want to take a chance. We'll decide onboard whether or not to cancel and just stay in Tortola and snorkel at the beach. I think the time is just too tight to book with Patouche and I don't think I would be able to relax worrying about getting back on time.

Maybe we will get the chance to meet onboard. The roll call group is meeting after muster during sailaway at the Sunset bar.

Thanks again!

Nancy

You're right. I am going on this vacation to relax and have a good time not to stress out over making it back to the ship on time. I will just have to get to the Baths another time, hopefully. I will look for the large group by the Sunset Bar. If I don't meet you, have a great cruise!

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from the Baths and we had a great time. We took Smiths because it had better times for us. It was $35 pp including a open air taxi ride to and from the Baths. Smith's is smaller than Speedys -the other ferry service but it's schedule allowed us to get there early ahead of the crowds (it was also 10 minutes earlier than Speedy's). Both ferries take the same amount of time in crossing. Incidentally, Smiths and Speedys also contract with the cruiseships and run excursions through the ship on different vessels. We saw the Costa line using Smiths and NCL using Speedys. The BVI's time AST is the same as the ship's EST time DURING DAYLIGHT SAVINGS months. It will be an hour difference from Nov. -Mid March. The walk to the ferry terminal is 10 minutes and easy to find. Water shoes are helpful although my teenagers prefered to go barefoot . Definitely recommend exploring all the little nooks and crannies in the Baths and taking your time going through. The ferries are safe and reliable way to get to Virgin Gorda.

Archived