Stupid Question about Dinner Menu

newcruz

Ordering 2 appetizers shouldn't slow down the service. I was on Rhapsody the last week of Oct. There were a couple of nights that two of the appetizers caught my eye. I told my waiter that I wanted X for my appetizer and Y instead of the salad. He brought my Y appetizer out when he brought the others' salads.

Hi Kyriecat. I was on that same cruise. We had a Cruise Critic get-together. Were you there? Only eleven of the 37 registered showed up. I've posted a long detailed review of this cruise in the cruise review section under RHAPSODY.

To the original poster. You can order whatever you want and seconds if you want. If you have a good waiter/waitress, make your requests known and he/she should take good care of you. At the end of the week, you take care of them with a good tip.

Also, if you have a special request (I like a salad of iceberg lettuce with a dressing and nothing else), they should remember that and by the second night, the order will be automatic.

sherry7....You don't have to request the soup be served at the time of others' salads. These waiters are professionals. They manage to time everything just perfect. Depending on who all ordered how ever many courses, the server will just magically keep everything (all of the food and empty plates) coming and going in a perfectly timed sequence. It just amazes me how they do it!

I'm not big on cold soups but my husband loves them. The strawberry bisque is his favorite! He asked the waiter to leave it on the table during the entree phase also so he can finish it up during the dessert course. It is really yummy and tastes like a dessert.

Hey, hstrybuf, how was your cruise? Should I be looking for a review, or do you do those things? Anyway, wanted to say welcome back.

Thanks! I did a review in three parts, but I think it's been pushed back a few pages by today. I also submitted it to the review section in one part and that should be showing up any time now. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=98305&highlight=Navigator+10%2F30%2F04

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=98306&highlight=Navigator+10%2F30%2F04

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=98308&highlight=Navigator+10%2F30%2F04

Though we started off every night with salad (which I am happy to say my 11 yr old son simply SCARFED down :) ) we felt free to order whatever we liked, regardless of the "course" we were on. One night my son tried three appetizers; he couldn't make up his mind and our wonderful waiter brought him all three. They absolutely spoiled my son in the dining room! Unfortunately I could not enjoy each course as much as the first - I can't eat much at a single sitting - but I gave it a good try! :D

I also tried the banana soup - strange, flavorful, but I'm not terribly adventuresome in the soup department, and I was just trying to expand my palate (probably would not order it again). However, the first night I had a type of tomato soup - I don't remember the exact name - something liek "tuscan tomato soup"? MAN! That was the most awesome soup I've ever had - I know - it sounds boring - but gosh that was excellent stuff. Wish I had the recipe!!

Another thread stated that RCI had realized that they had made a huge mistake (I am quoting what this person said RCI said) by cutting their food budget and they were changing all of their menus starting with the Navigator. With the other ships to follow. I hope they make the changes quick as we sail in two weeks, and would prefer to be on the new end of the more expensive meals instead of the old end of a cheaper food budget!

• 3 weeks later...

My 14-year-old son couldn't get over that there was food EVERYWHERE and that it was included in our cruise. It was a real kick. So, act like you're 14 again (and don't have to worry about your waistline like I do) and eat, eat, eat!!!

Laurie

My 13 year old confided to me that he had 11 meals in one day on the Majesty. Some of those were pizza and some were room service, but it's still quite an accomplishment. He also took the opportunity to try things he wouldn't get (or get often) at home: Duck A l'Orange, Lamb, Mahi Mahi. I love taking that boy cruising!

It's true! You can eat all you want. My hubby is famous for 3 lobster dinners and "one of each" desserts. If you know you want 2 different entres or two different soups, etc., it would be nice to tell your waiter that you are planning on having them both so they can bring them out to you in one trip instead of running them to death.;)

BTW, They say you board as a "passenger" and leave as "cargo".:p

On lobster night my husband does not eat any bread, appetizers, salad... nothing- just lobster-- and of course dessert. I think his running total is 6 lobsters.. ugh.. don't know how he walks away from the table walking! I'd need to be rolled away!

[quote name='baseballmom']On our first night, they served a wonderful scallop risotto appetizer. I could have easily made a meal of that, but didn't know enough to ask for seconds (my son tasted it and wanted it too, but again, we didn't know what the proper "protocol" was). It wasn't until our last night, when a tablemate got seconds on something, that we realized we could ask for what we wanted! [/QUOTE]

My father actually liked the look of that on the menu, and asked if he could have it as his main course. He expected they'd bring him the appetizer sized portion when everyone else got their main course. They didn't - they brought him an entree sized portion of the dish.

[quote name='DannyS']My father actually liked the look of that on the menu, and asked if he could have it as his main course. He expected they'd bring him the appetizer sized portion when everyone else got their main course. They didn't - they brought him an entree sized portion of the dish.[/QUOTE]
Well, if that dish is on the Serenade next June, I'll absolutely ask for it as a main dish. Thanks, Danny!

[quote name='BamaVol']My 13 year old confided to me that he had 11 meals in one day on the Majesty. Some of those were pizza and some were room service, but it's still quite an accomplishment. He also took the opportunity to try things he wouldn't get (or get often) at home: Duck A l'Orange, Lamb, Mahi Mahi. I love taking that boy cruising![/QUOTE]
Good for him! My son is more adventurous than I am when it comes to food, and I think it's great. Now if I could just get him to eat a salad or piece of fruit once in awhile...

When a friend who cruised just before we did begged me to try the cold strawberry soup, I did do a cringe, but promised I'd do it to please her. Ahhmagosh! Died and gone to heaven! Don't miss the opportunity to try this lovely soup. I can't wait to do it again in April!

Ruthie

[quote name='cruisernh']Does anyone have a link to any menus?? Would be nice to look at some. Yummy[/QUOTE]
I haven't been able to find any sites or reviews containing actual menues. I did look on cruiseclues.com, but they only had the Serenade room service menu. There were a couple of menues for Radiance (Portofino and Chops), but again nothing from the main dining rooms. I'd also love to get an advance peek -- might motivate me to exercise a bit more to prepare for the feasts! :)

It is extremely difficult to get good photographs of the menus, unless you swipe one from the dining room or disrupt it a bit to get sufficient lighting and situating. I've got about six shots of menus, from our cruise, but I cannot read one of them.

Archived