Nothbound or Southbound

NYCHICK

what is the difference?

Well, they are reverse trips with one going from Vancouver (or Seattle) to Seward (or Whittier). The ports of call are not necessarily tied to the direction (although some lines do Skagway on northbound v. Sitka on southbound).

But I assume that you are looking for the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. At the time I write this, a Northbound or Southbound thread is 20 posts down and provides thorough opinions on the matter.

One disadvantage for my priorities on a northbound is the night time sailing of Vancouver Island- superior on the southbound for daylight sailing. But either way will be a compromise in some way- go with what fits your schedule best and STRONGLY consider adding on another week for excellent interior Alaska touring- take advantage of being all the way there. :)

Hola,

I did the southbound last July, and found that it was great to go from tiny wilderness port (Whittier) to large city(Vancouver). It gave me a chance to immerse in the Alaska experience right off the bat and ease on back to civilization. It was so beautiful and breathtaking to go from the snowy peaks gradually to the greener, more populated areas , as well as more daylight to less.. Hope this helps, I wish I could go back soon ! It was the best trip of my life !!

Archived