Need help with visit to the bridge on the EOS 6/25/09

doulaamy

Maybe you can just offer the captain a few grand to let your sons see the bridge.

Why the sarcasm?? Here we have a person asking a ligitimate question as a new cruiser and you jump all over her. Geez go take a pill. Life is too short to always be so negative in life. Go back and re read the post and see she mean absolutely no harm and just wanted to ask how to go about seeing the bridge.

Sorry Doulaamy for some of these posts. Most may have helped but some are just well..............Have a great cruise.

when my older son was 15, he was very interested in pursuing a career as a ships officer. He had done his homework on what a career at sea meant, what colleges offer nautical sciences & the officer cadet program and once he read all the ships officers bio's on board, he asked to speak to the cadet on board.

The cadet was terrific & took time out of his busy day to speak to my son several times during the cruise as well as arranged a bridge tour. my son met the captain & a number of the officers.

Like many professions..there are lots of maritime officers retiring & they are keen to show off their choice of career to interested kids. I don't know how old your kids are..so I don't know if it would work for you, but it sure made a big impression on my son!

Good luck & enjoy the cruise.. we have always loved peeking into the bridge through the viewing windows as well.

Don't give up hope. We have done 3 or 4 bridge tours and have

been able to let another couple take our place on 2 different

occasions. So everyone is pretty much right on.... either be

Diamond Plus, or in a suite, or get invited to dine with the

Captain, or befriend someone else who falls into one of those

3 catagories and "make nice".

If you were sailing with me I'd give it to you.... no problem.

Thanks for your service.

Don't give up hope. We have done 3 or 4 bridge tours and have

been able to let another couple take our place on 2 different

occasions. So everyone is pretty much right on.... either be

Diamond Plus, or in a suite, or get invited to dine with the

Captain, or befriend someone else who falls into one of those

3 catagories and "make nice".

If you were sailing with me I'd give it to you.... no problem.

Thanks for your service.

I'm humbled by your generosity.

Thank you!

when my older son was 15, he was very interested in pursuing a career as a ships officer. He had done his homework on what a career at sea meant, what colleges offer nautical sciences & the officer cadet program and once he read all the ships officers bio's on board, he asked to speak to the cadet on board.

The cadet was terrific & took time out of his busy day to speak to my son several times during the cruise as well as arranged a bridge tour. my son met the captain & a number of the officers.

Like many professions..there are lots of maritime officers retiring & they are keen to show off their choice of career to interested kids. I don't know how old your kids are..so I don't know if it would work for you, but it sure made a big impression on my son!

Good luck & enjoy the cruise.. we have always loved peeking into the bridge through the viewing windows as well.

Thank you...my sons are 6 and 4 and have a lot of interest in sea life, boats, etc. They would be delighted to meet the captain, even if it was only for a second.

And we will SURE make use of those viewing windows!

I'm just curious - what do you mean by "heavy security?" I've been on umpteen bridge tours and have never witnessed anything more than a locked door. :eek:

We were scanned like at the airport...beep..beep...beeeeeeep...:eek::cool:

First a locked door, then SeaPass -- matching the list ----then SeaPass again and ..beep...beep....beeeeeep.... :D

We were invited to the bridge last year on Voyager and they allowed us to bring our friend who was more interested in the tour then we were. earlier this month we got an invite under our door to tour the behind the scenes but not the bridge. I find the galley tour more interesting. Your boys hopefully will get their wish, I think writing a letter to the captain should do the trick. Don't turn down a galley tour if it comes your way :D

We will DEFINITELY not turn it away! Thanks for the advice!

To the OP I too hope your sons get to experience the bridge. Back in the day pre 9/11 when my kids were young their first HAL cruise they were so delighted to get a chance to see the bridge & take pics. I have been on several trips to the bridge & enjoy each & everyone as if it was the first time. If I was invited to the bridge & I was sailing with you I would definately give up my spot to your sons so they could get possibly share one of the best experiences of their lives.

I hope on your cruise they get a chance to see the bridge!

Thank you for saying those things. It means a lot!

If you email me at bchalker at aol dot com I will share how we have done four bridge tours. We have been fortunate enough to see the Majesty (twice), Radiance, and Liberty. If you see the videos on our signature there are some of the bridge tours we have been on. Hope you enjoy your trip either way. Thanks for all your family has given.

I just emailed you. Thank you!

doulaamy, coming from a military family who has been greatly effected these past few years

I hope the effects were only missing them while they were on deployment. Hopefully now that one or those several family members are safely home now or will be soon.

For those who forget, the Master and other Deck Officers (everyone really who works on the ship) are all people with feelings. The Deck officers are generally on a 10 week rotation, far better than our troops deployed overseas, but long enough for them to miss family so I think they tend to be compassionate to others with similar situations. If your Master has a family back home I expect that to play favorably for you.

Have a wonderul Holiday Season!!!

Suite passengers do not get an invite.

We have been on bridge tours along with suite guests. While I didn't inquire as to their Crown and Anchor status, I had the distinct impression that they were not at the Diamond Plus level but were invited due to their status as guests booked in suites. On the Ruby Princess, however, apparently the only qualification and requirement is having $150 to pay for the tour. ;)

On our bridge tours we have been wanded and our names checked against the list of invitees, but even given the locked door leading to the bridge I would not describe the security arrangements as "heavy security". We were allowed to bring cameras, though not video cameras if I am not mistaken, and were given full access to the bridge.

doulaamy, coming from a military family who has been greatly effected these past few years, I truly wish you and your family a great vacation and the begining of a non-military life. Hopefully, the captain will see that the boys get a tour. Anyone with feelings and insight into what the children of military parents go through would certainly understand. As you stated, missed trips, birthdays, Christmas, etc. Hopefully a very negative poster will never be effected by a family member serving for the safety of her and her family and her country. You boys scarificied a lot in missing their dad, hopefully the tour will come through. Thank you husband for protecting our country so my family can be safe while he was away from his. Remember it the talk must all be in the name.....Hurricane!

TJMaher,

Thank you SO MUCH for those kind words. We have sacraficed a lot, but our children and I understand that if our familiy member had not gone, another would have. His job is very important and it HAS to be done. Right now, he's serving in Afghanistan (second tour) working as mission essential support for the Marine Corps. A Marine himself, his is dedicated to stand side by side with fellow Marines and assist them in their mission. Taking a trip with him is truly a dream come true for myself and our sons. We just miss him so much. Thanks for your kind words.

We were scanned like at the airport...beep..beep...beeeeeeep...:eek::cool:

First a locked door, then SeaPass -- matching the list ----then SeaPass again and ..beep...beep....beeeeeep.... :D

Oh wow - that's interesting. Good to know. Thanks for the details.

First off - thank you to your husband for serving our country. IMHO that is what should get your family on the bridge and NOT being a platinum member. The utter snobbiness of hurricanesally is appalling and I hope that I never have to cruise with anyone like that. I mean it's like asking to be seated by a window at dinner, or a robe, or whatever - it's just a request! I would love a tour of the bridge, that does not make me a terrorist out to sabotage the ship. Geeze can't a person just ask a simple question around here and not be slammed.

I hope that your son's get to see the bridge and if not, like someone said, take a peek on the deck. Happy sailing!

Here are shots of the peek-A-boo bridge overlook on deck 11 of Voyager class ship.

Voyager01.jpg

We just did a X Century TA and had the opportunity to do a bridge tour while onboard. We had Capt's Club Elite status since we are C&A Diamond members but there were many paxs being given this tour. We even got a second invitation after doing the tour. Her captain, Georgios Theodorou, hosted the bridge tour himself and even attended the CC Connections get together. He is one of the most friendly ship's masters we have ever met. IMO that helps when bridge tour are involved

Doulaamy,

First let me thank you and your family for your service to our country. It isn't just the enlisted person that is serving. The family serves right along with their spouse, mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, cousin and the list goes on. Everyone that is related to a loved one shares in the praise as well as the heart ache that goes along with someone wearing the uniform of our armed service personel. They also hurt when their service is questioned and when they return from duty and are not honored, as many weren't from Vietnam. For those that question why you want a tour on the bridge and point fingers. Shame on them for being mean spirited and probably just looking for a thread that they can cause a rift.

I haven't had the invitation extended to me to tour the bridge. Not sure how you get to have one, but it wouldn't ruin my cruise if I didn't get it. Knowing that I was with my husband and children on my first cruise would be my cherry on my hot fudge sundae. If for some reason I got to tour the bridge I would go on a diet the next day as my cup would be fuller than I could handle.

Been there done that and told at Camp Pendleton that if the Marine Corp wanted the Marine to have a wife they would have issued them one. Thank goodness I think that they have changed their ways since Vietnam, but I still say no man left behind in my day to day life. That motto should follow everyone as it says don't let your fellow neighbor fail and not try to help render aide. Lots of people are falling in our present economy. Let us remember to pay it forward when we can.

I hope you have a great cruise, you will be sailing on a wonderful ship. Don't call it a boat.... the crew will :( just like the Navy. ;)

I'm just curious - what do you mean by "heavy security?" I've been on umpteen bridge tours and have never witnessed anything more than a locked door. :eek:

Patrick..........for whatever reason........on certain ships, for the D+ bridge tour.......they have a security guard that has a wand.

Like you.........on certain ships........I also have enjoyed "umpteen" bridge tours. Yep.......let's call them that.

The auction that I mentioned is an onboard auction. I'm just not sure what it is.........so maybe others have answered that. One of the offers is a bridge tour.

Rick

The auction that I mentioned is an onboard auction. I'm just not sure what it is.........so maybe others have answered that. One of the offers is a bridge tour. Rick

Rick, I just sat through one of these auctions on Monarch this past weekend. The month of June and December, RCI partners with the Make A Wish Foundation to raise money for charity. They auctioned off items including a bridge tour for a group up to 5 people. It only went for $150. The Park West auctioneer did the calling and CD Chris Northey introduced the items up for bid. When RCI did this in June they raised the most money Make A Wish had ever recieved for 1 month.

For us it was just being at the right place at the right time. Last August my DH and I were on the EOS, and sitting at JOhnny Rockets when a staff member invited us to have dinner with Captain Eric and Captain Malcolm.(formal night) he then took cabin # and we were formally invited to have dinner with the captain. Boy talk about feeling special. Our invitation indicated to meet at the Auqua lounge.We we then met the rest of our group, and were treated to any cocktails and ushered to the DR for dinner.During our dinner we were told if the seas were not rough we could have a bridge tour on the following sea day. Again, an invitation for the bridge tour was sent to our room with instructions as to when and where. And yes, they do wand you and I believe we went through 2 locked doors also. Captain Malcoms wife Shiela told us at dinner that bridge tours are far and few between. So I'm not sure how often they offer them.Good luck.Hay try eating at JR on your first sea day!;).It def wasn't our status thats for sure.We were only on cruise 4 with royal.

DH and I were invited to dine with the Captain and Tour the Bridge on a day at sea on our Honeymoon cruise in 2005. We did not have any special suit, just a regular balcony. It was so memorable, and I got to sit in the Captain's chair! I will never forget it....

I would just ask politely at the desk on your first day, maybe writing a letter to the Captain..... Just don't be rude and accept whatever answer you receive. No matter what, you will have a wonderful cruise.

On the Explorer of the Seas in August. D+ and Suite guests got formal

letters for the invite. One formal letter is for D+. and another letter

was for Suite guests. I know this because I attended these tours

and this is what I was told by the Hotel Director. Both get the

invite.

Well if that's the case then they owe me 5 bridge tours. I've stayed in GS's, OS's, and the RS and have never once received an invitation for a bridge tour.

I never received invitations for bridge tours because of sailing in a suite either.

I don´t doubt some people might have gotten them when sailing in a suite and not being D+ but I doubt it´s a suite perk and for sure not given fleetwide. So sailing in a suite might get you lucky but not "guarantee" you the tour.

Archived