Best Cruise with an almost 2-year old?

new-to-cruise-02

Hi - haven't been here in a while, and I am *so* ready to plan our next cruise. Last time we went was in 2006 , Western Carribbean Mariner of the Seas. I'm trying to plan a vacation for late spring / early summer, and we'll probably be traveling with our DS who will be almost 2 at that time.

I am open to locations and recommendations - probably thinking a 7 - 8 day cruise. I'd love to do Europe or Alaska but not sure I could convince DH (especially on Alaska).

So - please recommend destinations and cruise lines for me - anything that would be good for two adults hoping for some relaxation and sight-seeing, and an almost 2 year old.

Thanks!

Well that leaves alot of choices. :D

You say "almost 2"...you may want to cruise when he IS 2 if you choose to go on Norwegian or Carnival. Then he can go to the kids clubs and possibly give you some alone time. ;)

What would you say is important to you? You've been on Mariner and I can see Sensation in your signature. So what do you like to do...spend time at the pool? Have lots of onboard ammenities?

Do you have a budget to stick to? So if you do an older ship and can get a balcony...would that be important?

I am sure many of us can help you with some suggestions, but we might need a little more to go on. :D

til he is 2 so you can let him go to kids club and at least maybe have some dinners alone the 2 of you. My kids loved Camp Carnival and were 35 months and 6 at the time of our last cruise. If you want relaxation, I would wait until he is 2.

how closely do they check age? Our DD will be 1 year, 11 months, and 3 weeks at the time of the cruise we are looking at... we were kind of planning on her being able to do the 2 and up programming.

They are extremely strict about the age minimums/restrictions. They check closely, which is pretty easy, because your DD's travel information must be accurate and must match her birth certificate. In most of the childrens programs, the crew have lists with the names and ages of eligible children cruising. You will not be able to "fib" and claim she is old enough because the manifest will clearly show that she is not. In this case, "close" doesn't make a difference.

They absolutely will not allow her to participate in the 2+ programming. They can't make an exception for anyone because they'd have to make an exception for everyone who has an "almost" age child. There are also issues of liability and insurance that make this non-negotiable.

That said, there are still things for her to do onboard, just not in the childrens programs. Is there any way at all that you can post-pone your cruise by a couple of weeks or are you locked into the specific date?

beachchick

thanks for the info - too bad it's not good news.:o

the reason we wanted to go before she is 2 is that we don't have to buy a plane ticket for her til she is 2 years old, and the plane ticket is going to be about $600+ per person (west coast to Puerto Rico, where we were looking at leaving from).

I know this depends on the cruise line - so any suggestions given our situation? This is what we are looking for: We want Caribbean, about 7 days, leaving in late January or early February (DD's date of birth is 2/16 so our return flight has to be 2/15 or earlier), with some babysitting available especially evenings at least some of the time, with FOOD being about the most important thing and interesting ports of call with decent low-key activities being second. We aren't really big into night life, gambling, or shows - we like good quality food, some hiking, and just generally relaxing. We liked our Princess cruise much more than Royal Caribbean because of the food.

thanks for any suggestions!

Well that leaves alot of choices. :D

You say "almost 2"...you may want to cruise when he IS 2 if you choose to go on Norwegian or Carnival. Then he can go to the kids clubs and possibly give you some alone time. ;)

What would you say is important to you? You've been on Mariner and I can see Sensation in your signature. So what do you like to do...spend time at the pool? Have lots of onboard ammenities?

Do you have a budget to stick to? So if you do an older ship and can get a balcony...would that be important?

I am sure many of us can help you with some suggestions, but we might need a little more to go on. :D

Thanks for the questions! He'll be two in mid-July, so we'rd be looking at a late July / early August cruise then. DH might want to go closer to June b/c of his work schedule. The kids club is a nice thought though! I've never been on a Norwegian cruise - but we might like that b/c of the Freestyle dining option. DH loves to spend time at the pool - I like to spend time exploring new places, so we need something with a good mix of ports and sea days. We like newer ships - onboard amenities are nice :) Would definitely want a balcony - and probably wouldn't choose an older ship to get a balcony. More likely to choose a less popular date - or book really close to the date of sailing if necessary to get a deal. No clue on budget yet (though certainly not unlimited) - just trying to get some ideas of directions to check into.

We live in Philly, so anything in close proximity to that - or not too long a flight - would be nice too - but not a total necessity. (I also have Hawaii on my list of places to consider).

Also - what are the sleeping arrangements for toddlers on ships? I imagine he'll still be in a crib at that point - do you bring along a pack-n-play? What does the cruise ship provide? And which has the best program for 2 year-olds?

Thanks!

psychtobe - Sorry, but beachchick is 100% correct. They are strict about those ages. And you are talking about Princess and Royal Caribbean, their programs don't start until 3 and 100% potty trained anyway. So those ships would be out if you did want to use the kids club.

new-to-cruise02 - There are ships leaving NY, NJ and Baltimore -

Caribbean Princess leaves New York - 9 days Caribbean + Bermuda

Royal Caribbean Explorer leaves from Bayonne NJ - Carib + Bermuda

Norwegian Dawn leaves New York - Bermuda

Norwegian Majesty leaves Baltimore - Bermuda

Celebrity Mercury and Constellation leave from Baltimore and NJ

If you don't mind the flight....many times it's cheaper to fly to Florida from Phillie and do a ship out of Florida. There are more selections and the price is often lower, even including the air fare.

Thanks cruisinmama. Doing some searches, it seems like Carnival Valor and Carnival Legend - Western Carrib. might be viable options. Any thoughts on either of these?

I have not been on either one. The only thing I can tell you about is the kids club. You can check here for the pages. I do have Legend uploaded...

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Camp%20Carnival%20Capers/?start=all

They would be able to change diapers in the camp. He would be able to go to the camp.

Neither of these ships have pools for non-potty trained kids though. So you may want to bring your own small inflatable pool for him to splash around in.

Thanks cruisinmama. Are there any cruises you would recommend?

Oh geez, that's a tough one because I think that I should start getting a kick back from some of these cruise lines...lol. :p

My favorite are the Royal Caribbean Freedom Class ships. But I waited until my youngest was 3 to get onto them because I knew that the kids club wouldn't take her at 2. ;)

They do have in cabin sitting onboard for those 1 and over. And they would have a infant splash zone so you wouldn't have to take a baby pool. :)

If you waited until after Dec 2009, then you can go on Oasis of the Seas.

www.OasisoftheSeas.com

I have a feeling that will be my favorite. ;)

perhaps it would be better if we just waited?

Maybe after our DD turns 3, we will have more cruise lines to choose from, including Royal Caribbean and Princess, rather than feeling like we have to pick Carnival - which sounds fine, except I read mixed reviews about the food and that is very important to us.

LOL...probably.

Well I can say NCL Norway, NOT my favorite. But then it exploded. :eek:

(no, not while we were on it...but still)

Well I was on the Voyager right next to the Norway when it exploded. Does that count?

perhaps it would be better if we just waited?

Maybe after our DD turns 3, we will have more cruise lines to choose from, including Royal Caribbean and Princess, rather than feeling like we have to pick Carnival - which sounds fine, except I read mixed reviews about the food and that is very important to us.

If you are a foodie and it's very important to you, then I wouldn't choose RCCL either. ;) It's not like I starve on those ships...but to me, Carnival has better food.

Maybe Celebrity?

Well I was on the Voyager right next to the Norway when it exploded. Does that count?

Oh geesh. I bet that was horrifying. :(

Oh geesh. I bet that was horrifying. :(

For us, the only thing we knew is that disembarkation was "weird." But we did get firsthand accounts from those on the Norway while waiting for our flight - we haven't complained about going to muster drill since then.

Thanks for the questions! He'll be two in mid-July, so we'rd be looking at a late July / early August cruise then. DH might want to go closer to June b/c of his work schedule. The kids club is a nice thought though! I've never been on a Norwegian cruise - but we might like that b/c of the Freestyle dining option. DH loves to spend time at the pool - I like to spend time exploring new places, so we need something with a good mix of ports and sea days. We like newer ships - onboard amenities are nice :) Would definitely want a balcony - and probably wouldn't choose an older ship to get a balcony. More likely to choose a less popular date - or book really close to the date of sailing if necessary to get a deal. No clue on budget yet (though certainly not unlimited) - just trying to get some ideas of directions to check into.

We live in Philly, so anything in close proximity to that - or not too long a flight - would be nice too - but not a total necessity. (I also have Hawaii on my list of places to consider).

Also - what are the sleeping arrangements for toddlers on ships? I imagine he'll still be in a crib at that point - do you bring along a pack-n-play? What does the cruise ship provide? And which has the best program for 2 year-olds?

Thanks!

Good luck deciding! I just booked my 3rd NCL family cruise out of NY. We did the Spirit when my children were 15 months and 4, the Spirit again when they were 2 and 5, and we will be sailing on the Dawn this May. They'll be 3 and 6. DH and I have sailed on other lines but LOVE the Freestyle concept when cruising with the kids. We're from NJ and love not having to fly!The NCL kid's crew is top notch!!! They allow non potty trained 2 year olds to participate. They give you a beeper and will page you if your child requires a diaper change. They will provide a pack n play if you request one with your booking and there are plenty of high chairs available in all the dining venues. It looks like you might be leaning towards Carnival, but if you have any questions about NCL, let me know:)

Good luck deciding! I just booked my 3rd NCL family cruise out of NY. We did the Spirit when my children were 15 months and 4, the Spirit again when they were 2 and 5, and we will be sailing on the Dawn this May. They'll be 3 and 6. DH and I have sailed on other lines but LOVE the Freestyle concept when cruising with the kids. We're from NJ and love not having to fly!The NCL kid's crew is top notch!!! They allow non potty trained 2 year olds to participate. They give you a beeper and will page you if your child requires a diaper change. They will provide a pack n play if you request one with your booking and there are plenty of high chairs available in all the dining venues. It looks like you might be leaning towards Carnival, but if you have any questions about NCL, let me know:)

Thanks! I think this review is enough to make me consider NCL - especially if we could avoid flying! I just didn't know anyone with good reviews of NCL.

Thanks! I think this review is enough to make me consider NCL - especially if we could avoid flying! I just didn't know anyone with good reviews of NCL.

Here are the reviews I wrote from our 2007 and 2008 cruises (both on the Spirit). They should be able to give you some insight into sailing NCL with a toddler! The Spirit will be moving up to Boston this summer. We'll be sailing the Dawn this spring. I've been told that since I loved the Spirit, I'll LOVE the Dawn! She's one of the most popular ships in the fleet:)

This is from our 2007 cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572026&highlight=

This is from our 2008 cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=42458

We did an 11-night sailing on NCL Sun in October with our then-16-month-old. He was too young for the kids club, but, on the plus side, they only charge port fees and taxes for kids under 2, so that can save you a bit of money over other cruise lines if you do go before your little one turns 2. They also had a play room available a few hours a day with age-appropriate toys, but honestly, his favorite thing to do at that point was to climb up and down stairs, so we didn't even need the play room. :D They provided the pack'n'play (a Graco one), I think our TA requested that on our booking. As others said, plenty of high chairs in all the dining venues.

We've done 2 cruises w/ our DD - one of them she turned 1 during the cruise, and the other she turned 2 the day we got back. The first was on NCL Spirit, the second on HAL Noordam.

Honestly, not using the kids club was not that big of a deal. Knowing my daughter she wouldn't want to be there unless one of us was with her anyway....plus i've just heard some stories that make me nervous. And really she does great at activities with us. We'd do an earlier(er) dinner and then some kind of lounge music until she got tired, and then bring her back to bed and relax in the room.

To me, the biggest thing would b getting an itinerary with lots of easy beach days. Thats really one of the few things that a young child can do/enjoy in ports.

We did bring an inflatable pool for DD the first year (she wasn't walking yet so that was pleanty) and she potty trained early so the second year she could just join us in the normal pool.

Archived