Safety instructions on Solstice

gregjm

On our recent Solstice Cruise there was one issue of concern. I'm posting it here in hopes that the Celebrity management reads these boards.

When we embarked in Ft. Lauderdale on 11/30 we were told that the safety drill would be at 4:00. When we went to our cabin to get our life vests and proceed to our appointment muster station I realized that there were NO safety directions on the back of the stateroom door and no information to be found anywhere as to where we could find the life vests (I didn't know that they had changed from prior sailings and these were under the bed).

So, I called Guest Relations and was told in a very abrupt manner that "I must not be looking in the right place on the back of the door". I told him that I was looking at the correct place and that there were no directions---nothing about nearest exits, etc. He told me that this just couldn't be the case and that I was probably looking at the closet door or the bathroom door---that I needed to look at the back of the MAIN stateroom door. When I told him that I was he said "well, I don't know what to tell you?". I asked him where the life vests were and he told me they were under the bed. I asked him where we were supposed to assemble and he said he "didn't know". So, we wandered around for a few minutes prior to the drill and finally found and employee that directed us to our station.

When I returned I called again and talked to a supervisor and informed her that there were no emergency directions on the stateroom door. "Are you sure?" was her response. I told her that I was sure that this was a violation of some safety law and wanted to bring it to their attention.

Fast forward to day seven. They made no effort to rectify the situation. I stopped at guest relations and asked to talk to the hotel manager on duty. A very nice woman came out and I explained my concern. Finally, she sent someone from the "safety" department to check it out and guess what he said "There's no directions on the back of your door---that's a problem" . 10 pm the last night of the cruise there is a knock on the door and they have a laminated temporary instruction sheet that they affix to the door.

I share this recognizing that there are kinks to work out of a new ship, yet it seemed very strange that an issue of a safety concern was ignored for seven days.

Its unfortunate they responded this way. I presume that is one reason they have the muster drill on the day of embarkation, after the drill you know your assigned station, glad they corrected the problem at least temporarily before the next sailing.

You would think they would catch this stuff on some sort of punch list on final walk through before delivery of the ship to Celebrity

I think I would have asked who is incharge of safety, surely they must have a "Safety Officer". For an issue like this, I would work up the chain of command, if necessary, someone should have been sent to checkout the cabin on day 1, not day 7.

This is beyond a new ship glitch.

Nothing is more important than safety at sea.

And ... let's face it. The purser/guest relations/whatever you want to call them (if they understand) really don't care.

It's like dealing with a US government agency ... except that the US agency (not as many as you'd like) can speak and understand (that's important too) English. They don't care either.

Archived