Ideas for cameras on Belize tubing trips?

cruisinghubby

I hope to be cruising on the Sea on Dec.11, my wife works on board and it will be our second anniv. on the 14th. I have worked this exact run before (Coz, Roatan, Belize City, not Cancun but been there individually). In Belize, I want to do the cave tubing run with a tour group (so many now, there was just one resort doing it in 2000), any suggestions for cameras? I onlyhave a Sony digital and I don't need that one getting dunked.. Do most people buy waterproof disposables? Would I need a flash? Do people bring them/are they allowed at all?

Thanks, Darcy

PS We met while we were both working on the long lamented but quickly forgotten Dolphin/Premier Cruises ;)

We used the waterproof cameras while cave tubing. You will need a flash for taking pictures in the caves. We left our digital camera in the van, with our towels and dry clothes while we went in the tubes. We went with X-Stream cave tubing and had a great time....this is the info they provided us.

The excursion is approximately 5.5hrs, starting at 9:00am a few steps from your cruise ship tender docking area in the Port of Belize where our Guide will personally greet you. The transport to the Cave Tubing Location on the Sibun River will take approximately 1hr, passing through Belize City to the lowlands of Belize, on to the Mayan Mountains Foothills and ending in beautiful lush Rainforest covered mountains. You will then reach the Cave Branch System Welcome Area where you will be fitted with your life vest, (if you would like one) cave lamp and your tube.

The walk to the beginning of the first Cave Entrance is an easy gentle 30 to 40 minute stroll through the beautiful Belizean Rainforest. Your guide will take you through two dry caves where many stalagmites and stalactites can be admired along the way. Once we have reached our access point for your Cave Tubing adventure, you will be able to enter the crystal clear, refreshing river and enter the first cave. A picture of the first cave can be seen on our website but unfortunately the picture does not do the area justice as the cave entrance and color of the water is simply spectacular!

You will visit 2 full underground caves within the Cave Branch System, you will also be guided to underground dry caves within the cave system, a treat only offered by our outfit, X-Stream Cave Tubing! As you approach the end of your cave tubing experience you will float through small fun rapids where you will pickup some speed and end the cave tubing ride in style, bringing you right back to the starting point of your Cave Tubing adventure. Tropical Fruits are offered following your excursion, a Belizean Restaurant with delicious local delicacies is found at the Cave Entrance Welcome Center with lunch for sale for approximately $6.00usd per lunch.

I got a cheap camera with flash that had a casing around it....about $70 Can. It's good for underwater snokelling and stuff but bulky.

My friends got a nice Cannon waterproof camera, I believe in the $300's. They got nice pics out of it, but I can't remember if they took pics in the cave.

My pics turned out okay, except in the cave, not too many turned out as the flash reflected on the cave walls too much.

You have to keep this in mind when taking pics. Can't be too far from your subject, but no too close to a cave wall.

Personally, I wouldn't bring the flash camera as it's too distracting and takes away from enjoying the excursion.

I would just get the cheap throwaway underwater camera, take the pics when you're floating outside and enjoy the experience when inside the caves.

Hope this helps.

I opted for an inexpensive reusable camera from leisurepro.com. For under $20, you can get a reusable underwater camera with a flash that will provide quality as good (if not better) than a disposable camera. I didn't want to spend a lot on the camera as I only use them every few years, but I figured now I have one that's reusable and I don't have to go hunting for the disposables, which are hard to find in the winter and can get pricey. Further, I get to choose the film, so I can select the quality and speed that I want/need.

Buy your camera (we had a Fuji underwater) before you get onto the ship. I bought mine at Walmart, it was good for a deeper depth than what they sell on the ship, and half the price (plus, no 15% gratuity tax added to your tab). We got great pictures with it.

Pat

Archived