How long around the island

Nan-L

Curacao is only 37 miles long and 7 miles wide- so it is not a very long drive around the island. However, there are many good snorkeling coves along the way, so if beaches and swimming are an interest- allow a few hours for those activities.

A trip to Westpunt and the Christoffel National Park takes 2 or more hours, depending on whether stopping and hiking are involved. Then, add in any time at a beach (such as Playa Porto Mari.)

There are many good day trips in Curacao. We usually spend half a day at a snorkeling beach and half a day in Willemstad, as there is so much to see and do there.

There are no straightforward roads that circle around the island. The interior is mostly residential and it's very easy to get lost in the neighborhoods without a good road map. It is not as easy to get around as smaller, more tourist oriented islands like Aruba, Bonaire or St Maarten.

Traffic on certain roads can be tough around work rush hour and lunch time. Some businesses still close between noon and 2 pm which gives workers time to go home or elsewhere for a siesta. During the school year, streets near schools can get congested when kids are let off.

Hi- We enjoyed Blue Bay Beach this year- but Playa Porto Mari is a more natural area (Blue Bay is more of a resort.) There is a Porto Mari thread here which has great info.

When you are driving around you may see roving bands of goats which can be a problem. Sometimes, when we went to the deserted beaches in Curacao, the goats would gather around our car to see if we had any lunch! (We lived in Curacao for 2 years.)

• 2 weeks later...
April,

We are interested in quiet out of the way places, any sugguestions?

I personally love the 2 Knip beaches. Classic tropical beaches. Small and secluded. They are free. During the week days, they are usually not too busy. Weekends will be a different story. :)

They are on the west side of the island.

On the north/eastern side is a beach called Playa Canoa. Totally different style of ambience there. Surf. Rocks. Sandy beach. Cave Water Spouts. Wilderness.

You can find these beaches on a map an other thread posted here in the last few days.

Thanks for the info...I lived in Quebec when I was young!! Last Feb. went back to see my Aunt, in Levis just across the river from Quebec city where I lived..found I really missed it..but not the cold!!!

Archived