Worried about Progreso

DanceGirl24

DanceGirl. For those looking for a tourist dominated port with the glitz and phonyness of a Cancun, Cozumel or bordertowns, then this stop may be a disappointment. The Yucatan State is different. It's authentic and it's existance does not depend on the tourist trade.

There are more options than most ports in the western caribbean. Two really big and major Mayan ruins, a wide and long beach with good restaurants that will serve you on the beach, an all-inclusive resort, some modest Mayan ruins and the beautiful Spanish colonial city of Merida with a population of one million and is the capitol of the Yucatan State and home to four universitys.

Keep reading this board and you will find those posting negative opinons are in the minority. Also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com, an excellent visitor's guide.

Although I have only been to Progresso/Merida on two vacations, I must agree with HDawson that the Yucatan is a laidback area and a delightful place to visit. Besides the many small shops, I would recommend the Cinco Soles store which is on the pier. No bargaining but they have quality merchandise from various areas of Mexico and my daughters tell me that the Cinco Soles vanilla is the best bargain. This store also has a location in Cozumel.

• 3 weeks later...

We really enjoyed this port. Not a port with all the glitz of other ports.

But a very laid back type of port which will take you back many years.

You can get some nice bargains if you look....

You see things in this port which you never see any where else.

Here a picture of them delivering ice to local stores.

2529249230102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

We really enjoyed this port. Not a port with all the glitz of other ports.

But a very laid back type of port which will take you back many years.

You can get some nice bargains if you look....

You see things in this port which you never see any where else.

Here a picture of them delivering ice to local stores.

2529249230102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

You didn't show them a picture of the Domino's Pizza place or the egg truck.

That's right. This is the only place that I have been where they deliver eggs via truck and sell them by weight. (I am guessing kilos.) All in all, this is a really neat place with lots of stuff to see and do.

If you want to lay on the beach you can walk to it from the flea market. There are several good resturants on the Malecon and they will serve you right on the beach. If you want to shop, I would suggest walking back a few blocks into town and shop where the locals shop. The prices are better and you get away from the tourist junk that they try to sell on the Malecon.

P.S. Listen to Hdawson. He has spent several weeks in the area and knows what is going on.

I actually liked Progreso. My mother and I took a tour to the ruins (Uxmal) and it cost us like $20 USD. During the drive, it made me very appreciative of what I have in the US because I got to see the "real" Mexico. Afterwards, we went shopping and had some Mexican food at a local restaraunt. There were some people who were "begging" because they saw we were tourists, but a simple "no" and they'll leave you alone (i.e. they are not persistent). I'd gladly go to Progreso again.

And to piggyback on what others have said, there is no "Carlos & Charlies/Senor Frogs/Margaritaville" (not that I have anything against any of those places. I'd go there too. :D). It's just a port which illustrates Mexico in it's non-tourist touched state.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived