Some questions regarding Grand Cayman! Help appreciated!

AnnShh

Hey guys!

This is my first post, but I have been reading a lot on this site and find it very informative regarding information and experiences with various ports.

My family went on our first cruise to Eastern Caribbean last March (Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Martin) and it was a blast!

We are looking at going on another cruise in early April (leaving around the 5th) and this time are looking into Western Caribbean (mainly b/c it doesn't seem like there are many Eastern Caribbean options at that time of the month). I originally had our choices narrowed down to 4 cruises, all thorugh Carnival. After reading on this site, I think I've found the one that sounds most what we are looking for... The ship makes stops in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman.

I looked over a few pages of the threads in the Grand Cayman section, but have not seen anything regarding the safety of the island. Is it a pretty safe island? From what I've read, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel sound pretty safe (moreso than Colon, Panama or Jamaica)- what about Grand Cayman?

Also, I've read on here that weather sometimes prevents stopping in Grand Cayman. If that happens, what do we do? Do they just bypass it altogether and arrive at the other destinations early, therefore endin the cruise early? Or do they have another port on another island that they stop at? Or do they just stall and take extra long getting to the next port?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure we make the right decision regarding the cruise!

Any and all experiences/reviews/opinions are appreciated!:)

Grand Cayman is considered extremely safe for tourists. Crimes against tourists are rare. Grand Cayman is not known for pickpockets or street crime.

I would still recommend normal precautions that you might take in your hometown. Do not leave cash or valuables unattended in public areas.

If weather prevents your ship from tendering to Cayman then normally you will continue on to your next port of call. You will spend the day at sea and will not arrive back home a day earlier as a result.

It is possible that your ship will come well within sight of Grand Cayman before they can determine for certain if weather will permit tendering.

1. Ships do not dock at Cayman...there is no cruise ship dock. Ships miss calling there when the seas r too ruff to safely transfer people to smaller boats called tenders. The main anchorage is on the west side of the island and a smaller, "heavy weather anchorage" is on the south side. Winter has the higher probability for a canx...it depends on the direction of winds and seas....

2. The Caymans have a standard of living as high and probably higher than most parts of the US. While there is not "no crime" the crime rate is very very low. Tourism is a major business but THE major business is banking. Cayman is the new king of numbered bank accounts..... This island is not hurting for money and tolerates little messin' around....there's a LOT of people walkin' around with significant change in the bank and they like that....

3. You could come in site of Cayman b4 the call gets canx....but on a couple of my trips the master saw what the wx had been for a few days b4 with ships canxing the call...and saw no change in the wx in the future; so the line was able to arrange an alternate port - Cozumel. So getting GC canx will not always mean one less port call.

1. Ships do not dock at Cayman...there is no cruise ship dock. Ships miss calling there when the seas r too ruff to safely transfer people to smaller boats called tenders. The main anchorage is on the west side of the island and a smaller, "heavy weather anchorage" is on the south side. Winter has the higher probability for a canx...it depends on the direction of winds and seas....

2. The Caymans have a standard of living as high and probably higher than most parts of the US. While there is not "no crime" the crime rate is very very low. Tourism is a major business but THE major business is banking. Cayman is the new king of numbered bank accounts..... This island is not hurting for money and tolerates little messin' around....there's a LOT of people walkin' around with significant change in the bank and they like that....

3. You could come in site of Cayman b4 the call gets canx....but on a couple of my trips the master saw what the wx had been for a few days b4 with ships canxing the call...and saw no change in the wx in the future; so the line was able to arrange an alternate port - Cozumel. So getting GC canx will not always mean one less port call.

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful!:)

Archived