The demise of formal night

barbon2

Now that sounds like a plan :D We used to live in a small town in the mid-Hudson Valley in New York, where everyone knew everyone else and we would tell our kids that we would know if they got into trouble before they got home. And we did. So when you talk rural, we've been there. Just so you cosmopolitan city folk don't feel left out, we have also lived in New York City and have more than a nodding acquaintance with Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Naples and too many more big cities to list.

I, too, have lived from rural to urban (born and raised in rural NC, and in DC proper for a number of years) and also across much of the socio-economic spectrum (from dirt poor to comfortably upper middle class). I'm sure this has shaped my opinion about all of this. One thing I have learned is that rural, suburban or urban... poor as dirt or affluent... people are pretty much the same. Some in each subgroup are real jerks. Some are gems. The only way to know the difference is to get to know them -- and putting artificial stumbling blocks in the way of that, such as judging how someone is dressed, does a disservice to them, and to you.

Sheila

Maybe ... maybe ... maybe.

So, yes, maybe it was all just me and all he needed to do was pass some wind.

LOL - that's funny. I'm sure you looked dashing and very handsome in your tux. I think a man in a well-fitting tux looks much more handsome than a man in a t-short and shirts (ha ha)..then again, if that were Brad Pitt in that t-shirt and shorts....hmmmmm, let me think. No, tux wins out.:D

You stumped me with this answer until I realized that you think Boytje's remark was directed to you when in fact it was actually directed to post No 207.. Read that post & see the quote he placed in his answer..His remark was not directed to you...When you read post no 207 you will understand why he made that remark..

Actually my post was directed at fun_seeker who said one should dress appropriate to the occasion (which on formal night would be formal IMO) and also for calling the complainers insipid and said those that took offense deserved it. I found those last two rather obnoxious, hence the dinner comment from me.

However to come to Aloha's defense, I don't think she meant it the way Boytje took it..She was frustrated & answering other posters who are very vocal & believe those who wear Tux's & gowns on formal night are pretentious..That's ludicrous! I enjoy Formal nights & for those who don't wish to dress, so be it, but please don't deny me that right..

I actually am in agreement with AlohaPride. :)

This thread has clearly gone a lot further than addressing the original post. A number of posts have been removed as being off topic or just plain rude, and the thread is now closed.

Archived